Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
The press release on this just came out before lunchtime here - so is less that 4 hours old. Expect details to be clarified over the weekend. But given that kids here under age 12 still can't be vaccinated, I suspect the negative Covid test will do the trick. Here, we don't go in for separating families at the border like that. (Especially tourists bearing $$$.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The press release on this just came out before lunchtime here - so is less that 4 hours old. Expect details to be clarified over the weekend. But given that kids here under age 12 still can't be vaccinated, I suspect the negative Covid test will do the trick. Here, we don't go in for separating families at the border like that. (Especially tourists bearing $$$.)
I hope you’re right! This arrangement is a nuisance but not a deal breaker… any sort of quarantine for the kids and we will have to cancel.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
I'm still worried that these are just news articles. The official website still says nothing. Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France
Give them time. They're trying to sort out the details even as we speak. (As in most countries, communications between the various departments and ministries of the government isn't terribly efficient.) And then they still have to get the details out to the airlines, the embassies and consulates and probably a few other contacts before they can update one ministry's website with anything "official."

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh dear, I fear France will be in lockdown again in autumn :cry: @bhamham perhaps you should move your plans forward.

Look what happened last year when France was not open to this extent and infection rates were lower.
Thanks BiF :) I'm hesitant to get caught up in the stampede and may just wait out the autumn lockdown (if it happens).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks BiF :) I'm hesitant to get caught up in the stampede and may just wait out the autumn lockdown (if it happens).
I can understand that, just wanted you to be aware and to keep an eye on how things progress here. You know France and are clearly respectful of the situation here :), in fact I think people who arrive on visas are generally respectful of Covid requirements in France.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup - you cannot change a "tourist visa" to any sort of long-stay visa (or any other sort of visa for that matter) from within France. And I'll mention one other possible complication while I'm at it. Usually, the student visas don't allow for you to arrive in France more than a few days before your classes or program starts. May be as much as a week or two - but be sure you check that limitation before you jump on the plane.

If you do go to France as a "tourist" in anticipation of getting your student visa, you will have to return back home to collect your visa before you can re-enter France as a student. (In fact, don't you have to turn over your passport to the visa agency for processing of the visa application?)

Hey guys, Sorry if I was unclear. Basically I got accepted into a school in France - it is a summer module followed by a 1-year program starting in October. I know Visas have to be processed in the USA but going to the French Consulate here in NYC is a pain to say the least so I planned to just go with my Passport (less than 90 day stay). However I just woke up to the news that it is official, vaccinated Americans can come over June 9? I'm just reading all the news articles now.
Also thanks for the info regarding the student visas, I was unaware of that.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
I know Visas have to be processed in the USA but going to the French Consulate here in NYC is a pain to say the least so I planned to just go with my Passport (less than 90 day stay). However I just woke up to the news that it is official, vaccinated Americans can come over June 9? I'm just reading all the news articles now.
Also thanks for the info regarding the student visas, I was unaware of that.
Well, first for the good news. You don't have to go to the French Consulate in NYC. Visas are handled these days by VFS in the US for France. (VFS is a visa processing agency that really does take much of the pain out of the visa application process.) VFS Global is only accepting limited categories of visa applications, though that may be changing with the changes in the requirements. Travel Advisory (Covid-19): Information on Visa and Travel Restrictions

Sure, vaccinated Americans can enter France as tourists starting June 9th - but they still need a negative Covid test to enter the country on top of whatever document they have to prove their vaccination status. The big news is that they won't have to quarantine on arrival and if vaccinated, they won't have to provide a "compelling reason" for entering France.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sure, vaccinated Americans can enter France as tourists starting June 9th - but they still need a negative Covid test to enter the country on top of whatever document they have to prove their vaccination status. The big news is that they won't have to quarantine on arrival and if vaccinated, they won't have to provide a "compelling reason" for entering France.
I'm curious to know how they will handle paper vaccination cards with no QR code, which is what I have. Will a negative Covid test and the paper vac card be enough?

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
I'm curious to know how they will handle paper vaccination cards with no QR code, which is what I have. Will a negative Covid test and the paper vac card be enough?
At this point I expect they may have to fly with what you've got. As I understand it negotiations are underway to find a way to incorporate US documents into a way for Americans to get an EU health pass. But that won't be decided before June 9th. At present, that is planned (hoped?) for the end of June or early July. I suspect that's why they are requiring a negative Covid test even for those who are fully vaccinated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow it looks very very positive for us Americans. Antigen test (no PCR! Yay!) 48 hours before. And kids under 11 the same…. No quarantine!

am I misreading anything?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wow it looks very very positive for us Americans. Antigen test (no PCR! Yay!) 48 hours before. And kids under 11 the same…. No quarantine!

am I misreading anything?
Not based on that strategy document, but there should be something released on the website of your French Consulate shortly (I assume your children are not vaccinated so when the Consulate publishes it you could ask them about that).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Not based on that strategy document, but there should be something released on the website of your French Consulate shortly (I assume your children are not vaccinated so when the Consulate publishes it you could ask them about that).
The PDF file says PCR within 72 hours or Antigen within 48 hours.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The file also says that if not vaccinated 'Auto-isolement de 7 jours'

But you are correct, within and before are not the same thing. The test has to be done not more than 48 hours before departure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
D975ABDF-85A2-4A84-A5F5-305ECC537C16.png

9F084E16-B76E-458D-96B5-BD6AE16A96E0.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
Croatia has welcomed a million visitors this year and been opened up to Americans with vax only for several weeks. No test. They are doing fine with dropping numbers. The vaccination surge is what makes 2021 not 2020. Plenty of flights available to France. There is no stampede at present. 2022 will likely be the big rush.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm still worried that these are just news articles. The official website still says nothing. Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France
United already has the new change on their site so the ground crews should be up to speed on Tuesday departures with arrivals on the 9th, especially Air France. As it turns out we weren’t so crazy after all booking for touchdown on the 9th.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts