Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to France on vacation next week. We arrive on June 9, when France will be open to US tourists. However we leave on June 8, where an attestation is required before boarding (but not on June 9 or after). Are we going to be able to fly without an attestation given that we won't need it when arriving the next day in France?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think it is impossible to know at this time even if France will be open to US tourists on June 9, given what is occurring with tourists travelling from the UK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is impossible to know at this time even if France will be open to US tourists on June 9, given what is occurring with tourists travelling from the UK.
True, but it is likely. Macron has already said it will happen if cases in both US and France move in the correct direction. And they have been. The UK issue is separate, it is to do with the Indian variant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My inclination would be to play it conservative and do it by the numbers. Weird things can happen at airline checking counters.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
I would expect some clarification of whether or not France will be open to US tourists (or any others) sometime toward the end of the coming week. However, I would be prepared for any re-opening to possibly include the need for a recent PCR Covid test - whether as an airline requirement or a entry to France requirement. There has been no announcement of any sort of EU agreement about the acceptance of vaccination records - whether within the EU or from outside the EU.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What airline are you using that is closed until Tuesday morning? Most airlines have customer service open 7 days a week.
Air France, it's a holiday tomorrow. Maybe I assumed incorrectly. But I guess they will just say what is on their website currently, which doesn't mention the June 9 changes yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would expect some clarification of whether or not France will be open to US tourists (or any others) sometime toward the end of the coming week. However, I would be prepared for any re-opening to possibly include the need for a recent PCR Covid test - whether as an airline requirement or a entry to France requirement. There has been no announcement of any sort of EU agreement about the acceptance of vaccination records - whether within the EU or from outside the EU.
Macron announced it a few weeks ago, and it is all over every travel website. It's annoying that it takes so long for the government to release it officially.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are going to France on vacation next week. We arrive on June 9, when France will be open to US tourists. However we leave on June 8, where an attestation is required before boarding (but not on June 9 or after). Are we going to be able to fly without an attestation given that we won't need it when arriving the next day in France?
I’m the same. Leaving PDX on June 8 to O’Hare to Paris arriving CDG June 9. Technically it will be June 9th in France when I’m departing O’Hare. I anticipate Macron is waiting until two weeks after the May 19th phased reopening of terraces, museums, etc. to make sure the infection rates don’t jump. I have an award ticket I can change last minute. I’m nervous about what will happen at the United counter too if they aren’t updated on the latest French requirements. I imagine though their overnight flights to France on June 8th will be largely populated with people like us.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Just a personal opinion here, but I think it's always dangerous to cut these things too closely. I know the US media has picked up on every word Macron has uttered, but living here you quickly learn to take all pronouncements with a large grain of salt. These are unprecedented times and somewhat unknown conditions. The announced dates are always subject to some change, based on conditions as they evolve.

While infection rates and hospitalizations have dropped precipitously the last couple of weeks (in part due to what was said to be a double counting error - though who knows?) the month of May this year included 4 public holidays (when testing labs are closed) and a couple of long weekends (when testing activity and many vaccination centers were closed or on very limited schedules). Do watch the new cases figures starting on Tuesday of this week to see if this reduced level of infection continues. But generally they announce the next phase specifics on Thursday before the changes are due to take effect.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with all the replies above about nothing being certain. I would just add that if the attestation is something you can download and fill in, then I would do it even if it wasn't going to be asked for. Better to have it and not use it than to be turned back at the check-in because you haven't got one.

There are plenty of anecdotes - some in the mainstream media - about hassles at check-in or at frontiers, sometimes because the staff were not properly trained, or weren't up to date.

In cases like that, I'm a belt-and-bracers man, and I carry a spare belt as well, just in case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would just add that if the attestation is something you can download and fill in, then I would do it even if it wasn't going to be asked for. Better to have it and not use it than to be turned back at the check-in because you haven't got one.
Done that, although I don't know what reason to put in! Do the airlines validate your attestation reason or is it something you have to explain to the authorities in France if they ask?

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Done that, although I don't know what reason to put in! Do the airlines validate your attestation reason or is it something you have to explain to the authorities in France if they ask?
At the moment, the attestation only allows for "essential travel" reasons. If the travel ban on those coming from outside the EU hasn't been lifted by June 9th, you won't be admitted. At present the only non-EU nationals allowed to enter France are French citizens (and their family members), residents of France (with residence documents - i.e. a residence permit) and their family members. If and when the travel restrictions are changed, there should be further information posted here: Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France

While I think some reactions here to your post are a bit over the top, for those of us who live here in France there is a certain level of cynicism about bold announcements by the local politicians. And a sense that trying to be the first in line when there are big changes to the current restrictions may not be the ideal way to go. There will no doubt be much confusion (on the part of the airlines as well as the immigration people at the airports) and you can probably expect to spend considerable time waiting in line as the new procedures are being figured out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At the moment, the attestation only allows for "essential travel" reasons. If the travel ban on those coming from outside the EU hasn't been lifted by June 9th, you won't be admitted. At present the only non-EU nationals allowed to enter France are French citizens (and their family members), residents of France (with residence documents - i.e. a residence permit) and their family members. If and when the travel restrictions are changed, there should be further information posted here: Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France
We are EU nationals, but travelling from the US. I don't think EU nationals are allowed to enter France except if they are travelling from another EU country.
If France does open up on June 9, I am assuming the attestation (in France) will no longer be required. However it might still be required by the airline staff on June 8, hence my question on who checks the reasons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/
The US was mentioned here today. France is still working on the list. Fingers crossed. Covid-19 : voyager en Europe cet été, "sera permis" et "facilité par le pass sanitaire", assure le secrétaire d'Etat aux Affaires européennes
EU Co
More news from today.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The US was mentioned here today. France is still working on the list. Fingers crossed. Covid-19 : voyager en Europe cet été, "sera permis" et "facilité par le pass sanitaire", assure le secrétaire d'Etat aux Affaires européennes

More news from today.
Still no June 9 update on the Gov website... grrr
I guess it's my fault for assuming that what Macron says gets implemented.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Wait until Thursday afternoon (your time). These things usually get announced on Thursdays about 6 pm CET, so noon on the US East Coast. Give it a couple of hours and then call your airline late Thursday or Friday morning to see what (if anything) they have heard. Ultimately it will come down to whether or not the airline will allow you to board the flight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still no June 9 update on the Gov website... grrr
I guess it's my fault for assuming that what Macron says gets implemented.
Wait until Thursday afternoon (your time). These things usually get announced on Thursdays about 6 pm CET, so noon on the US East Coast. Give it a couple of hours and then call your airline late Thursday or Friday morning to see what (if anything) they have heard. Ultimately it will come down to whether or not the airline will allow you to board the flight.
French Ambassador to the US was just on CNN saying positive things and that the 9th is still in play for Americans. He said it’s being discussed. I’ll post transcript as soon as it’s loaded. I have tape of interview sent to me from a friend in France.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts