Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

So, I've resigned and my visa will be cancelled before my last working day with my current company. I'm starting work with a new Dubai company 2 weeks after leaving my current company, where i will of course be getting a new company visa.

HOWEVER, during these 2 weeks, I'm travelling back to the UK for a 2-week break. But, as I'm remaining in the same apartment in Dubai, I will still have DEWA accounts open, will be keeping my bank accounts, Du account open, etc.

Do you think Dubai immigration might see a cancelled visa and look up my details and see I have accounts still "live" in Dubai and think I am trying to leave the country without settling them? They are all completely up-to-date anyway - I owe nothing on DEWA or Du my credit card is clean and I have no loans. However, I'm still slightly concerned that i will try and leave Dubai in holiday mode only for immigration to think I am leaving the country for good without settling my accounts.

Should I get a letter from my new company clearly spelling out that i will be joining them on a new residency visa and that i am returning to Dubai and most definitely not going to abscond never to be seen again? Might be worth having this to hand in case immigration want to see proof? Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

So, I've resigned and my visa will be cancelled before my last working day with my current company. I'm starting work with a new Dubai company 2 weeks after leaving my current company, where i will of course be getting a new company visa.

HOWEVER, during these 2 weeks, I'm travelling back to the UK for a 2-week break. But, as I'm remaining in the same apartment in Dubai, I will still have DEWA accounts open, will be keeping my bank accounts, Du account open, etc.

Do you think Dubai immigration might see a cancelled visa and look up my details and see I have accounts still "live" in Dubai and think I am trying to leave the country without settling them? They are all completely up-to-date anyway - I owe nothing on DEWA or Du my credit card is clean and I have no loans. However, I'm still slightly concerned that i will try and leave Dubai in holiday mode only for immigration to think I am leaving the country for good without settling my accounts.

Should I get a letter from my new company clearly spelling out that i will be joining them on a new residency visa and that i am returning to Dubai and most definitely not going to abscond never to be seen again? Might be worth having this to hand in case immigration want to see proof? Any other suggestions?

Hi,
No, immigration will not be checking this.
Just be careful with your bank account - you need to find out if your company is going to mark your last salary as a "final salary" to the bank. If they do this and you have any bank loans, car loans or credit cards with this bank - then they will freeze your account and block your credit cards until you give them a copy of your new visa and salary certificate.
This happened to us last year and these were blocked for about 6 weeks. Luckily we knew it was going to happen - so we ensured we had withdrawn plenty of cash before they blocked the accounts.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts