Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm moving to spain in august, just wondering if anyone can tell me how I go about enrolling my 3 year old for spanish state school? I'm not yet a resident so could someone tell me the process?

Thanks

·
Administrator
36,395 Posts
Hi
I'm moving to spain in august, just wondering if anyone can tell me how I go about enrolling my 3 year old for spanish state school? I'm not yet a resident so could someone tell me the process?

Thanks
it will vary slightly from town to town, but essentially you will both need to be registered on the padrón before anything else can happen

school admission is usually handled by the local education department, which is generally in the Ayuntamiento /town hall - although sometimes individual schools will deal with it

the best thing you can do is firstly get registered on the padrón & ask them where you register your child for school

there, you will be told exactly what you need to do - but usually you will need the padrón, passport, birth certificate of the child (probably apostilled &/or officially translated) & your child will need to have a medical before starting

you might be asked for a resident certificate, & although that isn't a legal requirement, you have to register anyway, so you might as well get it out of the way

because obligatory education doesn't start until age 6, it's possible that, if the infant school doesn't have a place, your child won't be able to start straight away

·
Registered
50 Posts
The schools are closing this week for the summer in some parts. You can get all the paper work done over the summer and then go to the schools when they open again in September. That is the way we did things a rew years ago.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
The schools are closing this week for the summer in some parts. You can get all the paper work done over the summer and then go to the schools when they open again in September. That is the way we did things a rew years ago.
Wow - our children have been off for two weeks already.

Exam resits finish this week though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts