Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My partner, a British citizen, and I are thinking to move to UK this year. I'm from Singapore and I'm thinking to apply for the De Factoo Partner Visa(Unmarried Couple). I've read some forums and looked at the UK Border Agency website as well. However, there's something I've seen on the forums which I don't seem to be able to find out more about at the UK Border Agency website or anywhere else. I hope some of you could kindly advice me on some of these questions.

I notice that there's a financial requirements to meet for this application. Just a bit of background information to better understand our standing, my partner and I have been in a relationship for a little over 4 years... We have been living together for 3 years+ and is currently engaged to each other. However, we are not intending to get married for about 2 years. (Need to save for now) I believe we have enough documents to prove our long standing relationship and our desire to marry eventually however, here are just a few of my questions:

1) I've read somewhere in the forum that we need to supply 6 months continuous payslip with the same employer in UK. However, my partner have been living in Singapore all this time, he has only just got a job offer so if I'm just wondering, if it's true and that I have to wait in Singapore alone for him to compile 6 months payslip from the company or can I just provide a copy of his signed contract which states how much he earns? If I were to provide a copy of his contract and evidence of our combined savings to be 10,000 pounds, do you think it's sufficient for the financial requirements documents or are there any other documents I might need to provide?

2)We have a copy of our joint bank account when we first opened it 3 or 2 years back , is that sufficient?

3)We have 2 apartment rental contracts (each for a year), 2010 and 2011, is that enough to prove our living together or do I need to provide more recent ones? As our 3rd year of living together, my name wasn't on the contract and even though it was my money which we used to pay for the deposit, the agent wrote my partner's name instead of mine. I paid for the utility bills for that apartment too but the receipts doesn't even contain my card no. as prove.. :( I could have his mum to write a letter about us living together with her for about half a year in UK, but the there's about 6 months gap between the 2011 contract and staying with his mum, in which my name isn't written on any paper except I do have phone bills going to that address. Do you think the phone bills would be enough prove that I was living with him for the 6 months in the same apartment? What do you guys think?

That's all I can think of for now that is making me confused about the documents I need to provide. I do hope you guys could advice me on this. Thank you soooo much and any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers! -Sarah

·
Super Moderator
18,010 Posts
Hi everyone,

My partner, a British citizen, and I are thinking to move to UK this year. I'm from Singapore and I'm thinking to apply for the De Factoo Partner Visa(Unmarried Couple). I've read some forums and looked at the UK Border Agency website as well. However, there's something I've seen on the forums which I don't seem to be able to find out more about at the UK Border Agency website or anywhere else. I hope some of you could kindly advice me on some of these questions.

I notice that there's a financial requirements to meet for this application. Just a bit of background information to better understand our standing, my partner and I have been in a relationship for a little over 4 years... We have been living together for 3 years+ and is currently engaged to each other. However, we are not intending to get married for about 2 years. (Need to save for now) I believe we have enough documents to prove our long standing relationship and our desire to marry eventually however, here are just a few of my questions:

1) I've read somewhere in the forum that we need to supply 6 months continuous payslip with the same employer in UK. However, my partner have been living in Singapore all this time, he has only just got a job offer so if I'm just wondering, if it's true and that I have to wait in Singapore alone for him to compile 6 months payslip from the company or can I just provide a copy of his signed contract which states how much he earns? If I were to provide a copy of his contract and evidence of our combined savings to be 10,000 pounds, do you think it's sufficient for the financial requirements documents or are there any other documents I might need to provide?
Does he have a job is Singapore making £18,600/year? Your savings isn't enough to have any impact on your application.

2)We have a copy of our joint bank account when we first opened it 3 or 2 years back , is that sufficient?
See above.
3)We have 2 apartment rental contracts (each for a year), 2010 and 2011, is that enough to prove our living together or do I need to provide more recent ones? As our 3rd year of living together, my name wasn't on the contract and even though it was my money which we used to pay for the deposit, the agent wrote my partner's name instead of mine. I paid for the utility bills for that apartment too but the receipts doesn't even contain my card no. as prove.. :( I could have his mum to write a letter about us living together with her for about half a year in UK, but the there's about 6 months gap between the 2011 contract and staying with his mum, in which my name isn't written on any paper except I do have phone bills going to that address. Do you think the phone bills would be enough prove that I was living with him for the 6 months in the same apartment? What do you guys think?
You need to show at least 2 years of living together with joint responsibilities in the form of tenancy agreements, utility bills, bank accounts in both of your names.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does he have a job is Singapore making £18,600/year? Your savings isn't enough to have any impact on your application.

See above.

You need to show at least 2 years of living together with joint responsibilities in the form of tenancy agreements, utility bills, bank accounts in both of your names.
Yes, he earns more than £18,600 per year in Singapore but he did take a 5 months break to visit family in the UK... So he doesn't have recent 6 months pay slip... If you're talking about before the 5 months break, he kept the contract but not 6 months continous pay slip tho... That's why I was wondering if the contracts, even the old contracts in Singapore will work? He has all his work contracts in Singapore so will that be sufficient to show that all his jobs thus far earns more than £18,600 per year?

Yup, we do have 2 contracts (2010 and 2011) of apartment rentals with both our names on it... But it's the inbetween 2011 till now that I'm worried if just the phone bill with my name on it to the same address as his apartment contract will be sufficient and if his mum writes a letter about us living together in her place for the past 5 months count? (probably get it certified) and about our joint bank account, is the first slip of when we opened it together neon? Or do I need a recent one instead?

Thanks!! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,010 Posts
Yes, he earns more than £18,600 per year in Singapore but he did take a 5 months break to visit family in the UK... So he doesn't have recent 6 months pay slip... If you're talking about before the 5 months break, he kept the contract but not 6 months continous pay slip tho... That's why I was wondering if the contracts, even the old contracts in Singapore will work? He has all his work contracts in Singapore so will that be sufficient to show that all his jobs thus far earns more than £18,600 per year?

Yup, we do have 2 contracts (2010 and 2011) of apartment rentals with both our names on it... But it's the inbetween 2011 till now that I'm worried if just the phone bill with my name on it to the same address as his apartment contract will be sufficient and if his mum writes a letter about us living together in her place for the past 5 months count? (probably get it certified) and about our joint bank account, is the first slip of when we opened it together neon? Or do I need a recent one instead?

Thanks!! :)
In order to qualify for an unmarried partner visa you need rock solid proof that you've been living together for 2 years or more. This means joint responsibilities like tenancy agreements, bank accounts and utility bills. Personal statements from friends and family will carry little or no weight.

A contract isn't enough. He must have been earning the required amount in Singapore for 6 months prior to the application and have a job earning that amount in the UK which starts within 3 months of returning.

It doesn't sound like you have enough evidence to prove 2 years of living together nor will you be able to meet the financial requirement if he hasn't been working for the past 6 months.

If you marry, you can join him in the UK once he has 6 months worth of pay slips totaling £1550/month or more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh... I read that joint tenancy agreements and joint bank accounts counts though... Especially the tenancy agreement as prove that we have been living together for 2 years and more... And I read somewhere too that his mum whom we live with for the past 6 months can be accounted for as she is the owner of the house.. I don't know exactly the words the person said, but he/she said that it's possible... The one that worries me most is the financial requirements... We're engaged but we kinda didn't want to be forced into marriage for a visa... :( but I guess if worst comes to worst, we will have to... But I think theres a rule about the couple should not be living apart for more than 6months and if I have to wait for 6 months pay slip from my partner, then we will be apart for 6 months plus the 3 months it takes for the visa to be processed... Meaning, we will be apart for 9months? Doesn't that mean we will fail the visa application anyway as well? :S

·
Super Moderator
18,010 Posts
Oh... I read that joint tenancy agreements and joint bank accounts counts though... Especially the tenancy agreement as prove that we have been living together for 2 years and more...
Yes, but you haven't had a joint tenancy agreement for 2 years.

And I read somewhere too that his mum whom we live with for the past 6 months can be accounted for as she is the owner of the house

Where? No. His mother owning her house has nothing to do with anything. You visited the UK. You didn't live there. You didn't have a rental agreement and you didn't have joint bills that you were responsible for.

I don't know exactly the words the person said, but he/she said that it's possible

What person said what's possible?

The one that worries me most is the financial requirements... We're engaged but we kinda didn't want to be forced into marriage for a visa... :( but I guess if worst comes to worst, we will have to... But I think theres a rule about the couple should not be living apart for more than 6months and if I have to wait for 6 months pay slip from my partner, then we will be apart for 6 months plus the 3 months it takes for the visa to be processed... Meaning, we will be apart for 9months? Doesn't that mean we will fail the visa application anyway as well? :S
For the reasons I stated before you don't seem to meet the requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... Thanks anyway... Don't know what we going to do now though... But we do have 2 years joint tenency contract, 2010 and 2011. Anyway, it's ok... You've adviced us... As for the bits I've mentioned, I've read people saying those stuff on this forum... Anyway, I've emailed the Singapore's official partner with UKBA to confirm this too... So hopefully, I'll help back from them soon. Thank you for your time. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.