Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I plan to start the process for me and my wife once the revised list is out this July. Nevertheless, my wife and I plan to start my preparation for English language tests. I qualify as an ICT Business Analyst and my wife qualifies as an Industrial Engineer. I plan to take TOEFL and my wife plans for IELTS. However, as far as IELTS is concerned, I believe there are two variations: General and Academic. Which one should my wife opt for?

Note: This is my first post here. My apologies if this is a repeat question. I tried searching in this forum but couldn't find a relevant post :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
For student Visa :- IELTS Acedemic / PTE -A
For PR/TR : IELTS General / PTE -A

·
Registered
110 Posts
So answer is go for IELTS General and target 8 which is equal to 20 points or atleast 7 which is equal to 10 points

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So answer is go for IELTS General and target 8 which is equal to 20 points or atleast 7 which is equal to 10 points
Thanks Sunil! One more question though.. My wife is an Industrial Engineer, and she needs to submit IELTS scores for her skill assessment. Does the IELTS General work here too?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Yes IELTS - General Training would work for your Wife's Skills Assessment.

Thanks Sunil! One more question though.. My wife is an Industrial Engineer, and she needs to submit IELTS scores for her skill assessment. Does the IELTS General work here too?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you getting your wife's skill assessment also done ? I mean if your points suffice then why to waste money because getting skill assessment done also costs money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeetendra for the response.

@Sunil, I am a bit confused about whom to pose as the primary applicant. The thing is, I am a BA with 2.5 yrs workex as a test engineer (Software testing) and later 4 yrs as a Business Analyst (again IT). Now, my education is in Industrial Engineering and hence there is a mismatch between that and my current job profile. Whereas my wife is an Industrial Engineer with 3+ yrs of workex in the domain.

It would be great to hear suggestions from the forum members. Should I or my wife be the primary applicant? Should we try for partner points too? Any inputs?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is her qualification ...by first look of your case it seems your wife should be Primary applicant. But if you can provide complete details then it will be more easy to answer..Provide education and employment and age of both of you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is her qualification ...by first look of your case it seems your wife should be Primary applicant. But if you can provide complete details then it will be more easy to answer..Provide education and employment and age of both of you.
My details
Education: Industrial Engineer
Workex: 2.5 years in Testing, Now a BA for past 4 years

My wife's details
Workex: 3.5 years as Industrial Engineer, Now working as a process consultant for the past 1 year

·
Registered
110 Posts
My details
Workex: 2.5 years in Testing, Now a BA for past 4 years

My wife's details
Workex: 3.5 years as Industrial Engineer, Now working as a process consultant for the past 1 year

I would suggest your wife as primary applicant and also would suggest to get your skill assessment also done to claim 5 points...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would suggest your wife as primary applicant and also would suggest to get your skill assessment also done to claim 5 points...
Thanks for the suggestion Sunil. With my wife as the primary applicant, if I can claim points for my skills, under which category will my skills fall? Industrial Engineer or ICT Business Analyst?

Also, if I am able to get the top score in the language test and get those 20 points, should I consider being the primary applicant?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Skills will be as per what your profession is...As it is not matching with your education so you might have to take RPL route..This means your skill will be assessed as BA

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks Jeetendra for the response.

@Sunil, I am a bit confused about whom to pose as the primary applicant. The thing is, I am a BA with 2.5 yrs workex as a test engineer (Software testing) and later 4 yrs as a Business Analyst (again IT). Now, my education is in Industrial Engineering and hence there is a mismatch between that and my current job profile. Whereas my wife is an Industrial Engineer with 3+ yrs of workex in the domain.

It would be great to hear suggestions from the forum members. Should I or my wife be the primary applicant? Should we try for partner points too? Any inputs?
As of now seems you are not eligible for BA. Industrial Engineer is not closely related with your occupation so 6 years of experience will be deducted where as you only have 4. ACS deducts 4 years for Electronics engineering which is closely related but ICT minor.

Only option is to make your spouse primary applicant and score 20 points in english language.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes Danav Singh is correct. As I said earlier your spouse should be primary applicant

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of now seems you are not eligible for BA. Industrial Engineer is not closely related with your occupation so 6 years of experience will be deducted where as you only have 4. ACS deducts 4 years for Electronics engineering which is closely related but ICT minor.

Only option is to make your spouse primary applicant and score 20 points in english language.
Hi,

I've been searching for a similar situation as me and came across this thread. I am a graduate of BS Industrial Engineering but with 9 yrs experience as ICT Business Analyst. For ACS assessment for ICT business analyst, I am contemplating between applying via skills route or via RPL. I am thinking that I might not get credited at all even for ICT minor and only option will be via RPL. Hoping for your recommendations kind sirs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
to add to my post earlier,
My question is related to getting points for educational qualification. I understand that I can use the RPL results for my work experience for points. However, how do I get credit for my BS degree? Do I need to get a separate certification from another Australian body or my school records will suffice?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts