Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Sorry to those of you who have seen a million threads about English teaching! I did a search to save us all the hassle of another one but haven't yet found answers to my questions.

To begin with, I'd just appreciate some idea of who to go about starting work as an independent English teacher. I don't know if I have to register as self-employed (or whatever the French equivalent of that is or if English teachers here just go straight out and do it. I only want to work part-time at the moment as I have a baby. There are no language schools here and only one English class as part of a tourism course, I think. A couple of French uni students offer English tutoring but I don't know if they are registered or what....

I have a carte de sejour (and will get another one no probs as I'm here with my French husband). I am a qualified and experienced primary school teacher and a TESOL teacher and know some French (B1 type level though still learning). I would be happy to work at a school (probably a private school is my only option from what I've heard) or teach classes or individuals but wonder if I need to set up my own English 'school' / business.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Rose

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
If you're going to work self-employed, yes you need to register and pay social security contributions based on what you earn, you can't just go straight out and do it. There's a good 'sticky' on the auto entrepreneur system here altho' if you do some more searches you'll also realise that the system is undergoing an overhaul at the moment, nobody knows yet quite what changes will be made but hopefully it will stay essentially the same. Alternatively you can work on the CESU system, where the work you do for a private employer goes through a government portal to enable the appropriate social contributions to be paid by the employer.
There are various options for setting up a business but these are the simplest ways to get started.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you only want to work part-time then the simplest route is private tuition - schoolchildren, students especially. you can ask to be paid by chèque emploi but you need a French social security number for this. Or you can tell clients to declare payments to your husband's social security number.

Tell everyone you meet that you teach English - word will get around.

Put an ad in leboncoin for your area and put business cards in local shops. You can also try registering with agencies like Acadomia and Lauréat, but they will check your level of French.

On the pôle emploi website you need to select k2111 or k2107 for English teaching vacancies.

As you said school work would be easier to find in the private sector.

Finally, if you were a bit further south I would gladly put some contacts your way - on Saturdays I teach for 5 hours, and on Wednesdays it's 6 hours + almost 3 hours driving.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
When you talk about private schools, I assume you mean independent? ie the Internationals? 'cos teachers even in French private (aka Catholic) schools are still State employees and are paid by the Rectorat/Inspection. You sh/could perhaps register with the Rectorat for your Departement/Region.

hils

·
Registered
664 Posts
Forgot to mention too that there are many internet-based language schools where you teach from home - but not of course when baby is screaming.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
The cheque d'empoi / CESU system is really very good and very easy to use, for both employer and employee. ...and it keeps you on the right side of the law. For our femme de ménage it takes 2 minutes on the PC - 1 minute to make the CESU declaration, 1 minute to do a bank transfer - I don't use cheques!

For finding work try finding teachers in the French education system who teach English - they may be very helpful! Try also supermarkets / big DIY stores, they usually have a board for cards.

You also need to understand how English is taught in French schools. I don't teach English, but I have given help to local schoolchildren with their English homework as a "contribution to the community". I insist that they bring their class books with them, otherwise I don't understand the English as taught.

DejW

If you only want to work part-time then the simplest route is private tuition - schoolchildren, students especially. you can ask to be paid by chèque emploi but you need a French social security number for this. Or you can tell clients to declare payments to your husband's social security number.

Tell everyone you meet that you teach English - word will get around.

Put an ad in leboncoin for your area and put business cards in local shops. You can also try registering with agencies like Acadomia and Lauréat, but they will check your level of French.

On the pôle emploi website you need to select k2111 or k2107 for English teaching vacancies.

As you said school work would be easier to find in the private sector.

Finally, if you were a bit further south I would gladly put some contacts your way - on Saturdays I teach for 5 hours, and on Wednesdays it's 6 hours + almost 3 hours driving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is all great advice! I'll have a look into those two systems for freelance working (do want to stay on the right side of the law!)

I also have another question for people with experience doing private tutoring: A quick search shows me 15 euros per hour is what a lot of uni students charge parents of school students they tutor. Should I be able to comand a higher rate as a qualified and experienced teacher and native English speaker? Or is 15 euros about all that parents are prepared to pay in France? If so, (thinking of what I might be left with after tax..) perhaps teaching business or travel English could pay better? Though my town is not a huge bustling business hub, it must be said.

Thanks again to all of you who have already written in (I got no replies to my post about dog ownership in France so English Teaching is obviously a hotter topic!) and to those of you who may still have advice to offer me.

Cheers,
Rose

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I wouldn't expect a higher rate because of non-French qualifications: you have to prove your worth first! - & remember to declare that your English is not UK English.

Frankly, anything over SMIC is a bonus (remember low income = low income tax, but you still get all the benefits of being in the system), so don't be greedy.

hils

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Our 2 dogs here have told me that they are very disappointed that I did not reply to your dog post. Woof, woof, sorry.

Don't know about rates, but as a principle, start low to get the business and then hike prices when you are known. Modesty is not good for business!

FWIW I've helped 2 school kids recently to do a short presentation (2 mins?) in their English class. (my favourite movie etc) To my surprise I had to teach public speaking as well as English.

Good luck!

DejW

Wow, this is all great advice! I'll have a look into those two systems for freelance working (do want to stay on the right side of the law!)

I also have another question for people with experience doing private tutoring: A quick search shows me 15 euros per hour is what a lot of uni students charge parents of school students they tutor. Should I be able to comand a higher rate as a qualified and experienced teacher and native English speaker? Or is 15 euros about all that parents are prepared to pay in France? If so, (thinking of what I might be left with after tax..) perhaps teaching business or travel English could pay better? Though my town is not a huge bustling business hub, it must be said.

Thanks again to all of you who have already written in (I got no replies to my post about dog ownership in France so English Teaching is obviously a hotter topic!) and to those of you who may still have advice to offer me.

Cheers,
Rose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.