Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are three sections to the post here:

English teacher:
I am a qualified English teacher, I have a first class degree and have been teaching for four years now. I am trying to find out if there is a need for teachers of English in Oz??? I don't really want to come if I wouldn't be eligible for a permanent visa as I think it would be too much to uproot my life and move to the other side of the world for a couple of years.

Partner visa:
My partner works in sales and wonders as that's not really a 'skill' if there is anyway he would be given a visa. I know from looking at the immi.gov (?) website that it talks Australia giving visas to people who have skills they need in their workforce but I struggled to find anywhere that told what these areas are. We had thought about the possibility of him re-training before we apply for a visa to make him more eligible but he wondered what would be a good area?

Custody:
Has anybody had any custody issues? I have a 5 year old son to a previous father, we have been separated for 4 years (we were never married), we have joint parental responsibility and he sees him once a week. I am aware if I wanted to move to Australia he would probably contend it. We are amicable and I understand the reasons he would contend it but this is a lifelong dream of mine and I feel that as I'm 27 it's a now or never stage- I would love to move for the outdoor lifestyle and believe it would be a fantastic place to raise my son. I'd love any feedback on this area as I feel that this is the one thing that could potentially stop my dreams becoming reality.

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
There are three sections to the post here:

English teacher:
I am a qualified English teacher, I have a first class degree and have been teaching for four years now. I am trying to find out if there is a need for teachers of English in Oz??? I don't really want to come if I wouldn't be eligible for a permanent visa as I think it would be too much to uproot my life and move to the other side of the world for a couple of years.
Teachers are on the Skilled Occupation List(SOL) so you should be able to qualify for a 175 Skilled Migration Visa. This will give you permanent residency.

Partner visa:
My partner works in sales and wonders as that's not really a 'skill' if there is anyway he would be given a visa. I know from looking at the immi.gov (?) website that it talks Australia giving visas to people who have skills they need in their workforce but I struggled to find anywhere that told what these areas are. We had thought about the possibility of him re-training before we apply for a visa to make him more eligible but he wondered what would be a good area?
You partner can be a Secondary applicant on your application providing you can prove that you have being living in a genuine and continuing relationship for the past 12 months. He will not need any skills to be the secondary applicant.

Custody:
Has anybody had any custody issues? I have a 5 year old son to a previous father, we have been separated for 4 years (we were never married), we have joint parental responsibility and he sees him once a week. I am aware if I wanted to move to Australia he would probably contend it. We are amicable and I understand the reasons he would contend it but this is a lifelong dream of mine and I feel that as I'm 27 it's a now or never stage- I would love to move for the outdoor lifestyle and believe it would be a fantastic place to raise my son. I'd love any feedback on this area as I feel that this is the one thing that could potentially stop my dreams becoming reality.
This is a tough one. If your son is to go with you, the only way that would happen, i imagine, is with explicit permission from his father. I have seen several other people comment on this before, so it might be worth searching the forum to find more detail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really helpful thank you, can you suggest what I would search under for the custody issue? I could cry reading your response as it's been something I've wanted for so long!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
That's really helpful thank you, can you suggest what I would search under for the custody issue? I could cry reading your response as it's been something I've wanted for so long!

You should seek legal advice, but to the best of my knowledge, you would need his fathers written permission, should he refuse, you will have to go through the court, which, unless you have very good and provable reasons, you may have a bit of a fight - sorry - I had this issue many moons ago when I wanted to take my daughters to live in Spain and their father refused to let me. Of course, things may have changed????????

In the end, I waited til my daughters grew up and left em behind!!! I came to Spain with my "second" family - so I got here in the end!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found all the previous posts and you're right, there is no chance without his father's permission and I know this isn't going to happen, thank you for advice though, gutted!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Found all the previous posts and you're right, there is no chance without his father's permission and I know this isn't going to happen, thank you for advice though, gutted!
Talk to your ex, tell him how you feel, tell him about how good life could be out there????

I know this may sound silly, but maybe, if he has no specific ties and you're on friendly terms, he could go to to Oz for a while sort of with you - well not "with" you, to help your son to settle etc - for a few months - maybe even stay ?????? Cos thats the other thing you have to think about. Your son will miss his dad too!!

Thats the trouble with Oz, its so far away, I feel for you!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Talk to him. If you go and if he allows you to take your son, I think he can ask for a family visa for himself saying he has a minor son in Australia.
Ask an agent, but I remember seeing that option in the immigration wizard.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts