Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting to move to Grenoble with my family. I have two boys (7, 8) who only speak English. Using the internet I can only see the International School (that teaches in French) and the US school that takes children from age 11. Does anyone know of any schools in the Grenoble area for children under 11 that teach in English. What have other parents done facing the same situation (my eldest has already repeated a year due to our constant country hopping and I am very reluctant to put him into a French school because I expect it to take him another year to adjust / learn French).
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am expecting to move to Grenoble with my family. I have two boys (7, 8) who only speak English. Using the internet I can only see the International School (that teaches in French) and the US school that takes children from age 11. Does anyone know of any schools in the Grenoble area for children under 11 that teach in English. What have other parents done facing the same situation (my eldest has already repeated a year due to our constant country hopping and I am very reluctant to put him into a French school because I expect it to take him another year to adjust / learn French).
Thanks.
This appears to be a Middle and High School:

American School of Grenoble ASG home page

Edit:

The same school you are referring to I believe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is... but the link told me more about the school and led me to email the school to ask them if they had any advice on the subject. Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What school did you choose?

Thanks.

I have the EXACT same question. The American school's response was useless. I found a Montessori school in Meylan, but no response yet. We are moving in August. Our son is 7.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
I have the EXACT same question. The American school's response was useless. I found a Montessori school in Meylan, but no response yet. We are moving in August. Our son is 7.
Within the French public schools, there are "English language sections" but these normally don't kick in until the "college" level (i.e. junior high school).

You may want to look into getting a copy of the AAWE Guide to Education AAWE Publications which has a pretty comprehensive listing of English language schools in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
BoulderPatty -

My husband, 2-year-old daughter, and I are moving to Grenoble this August, as well. I was wondering if you have found housing yet and if you can give us any recommendations? We are looking to rent, preferrably to live in the city center (probably an apartment), but if we found a nice house outside the city, we'd be open to that, too. We just need at least 2 bedrooms. What are moving to Grenoble for? My husband is getting his MBA at GGSB, so we'll be there for a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grenoble housing

BoulderPatty -

My husband, 2-year-old daughter, and I are moving to Grenoble this August, as well. I was wondering if you have found housing yet and if you can give us any recommendations? We are looking to rent, preferrably to live in the city center (probably an apartment), but if we found a nice house outside the city, we'd be open to that, too. We just need at least 2 bedrooms. What are moving to Grenoble for? My husband is getting his MBA at GGSB, so we'll be there for a year.
odd, I can't post the link, but do a search on sabbatical homes in grenoble and you will find some. The one I found is 1400 euros, costly but nice. I always wanted to get my MBA in France, :). I got it in the U.S. instead though...

We plan to visit in June to find housing. Our son is in 1st grade, so we have narrowed down the schools to a Montessori in Meylan and an international public school Houille Blanche near Meylan, so we may live outside the city. Sounds like a fun journey for you as well. I am in touch with someone in Grenoble who has a few kids in the 1-4 range. She loves the city, though the apartments are very small. Some places are noisier than others, depends what your criteria are. Feel free to send me an email and I can check with my friend in Grenoble (or do an introduction - actually I have never met her, but she is American and is very nice).

Looks like we cannot post email addresses here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Housing

Thanks for the information! I would love to get in touch with the woman you've been talking to in Grenoble. I'll take any advice about housing, schools, children, etc. My husband and I are thinking about visiting in June, as well, which will probably help a lot.

Are you moving to Grenoble for work? How long will you be there?

I can't seem to get your email address, but I'll try to go around the system and give you mine...

<snip>l ;)

If you wouldn't mind contacting me, I'd really appreciate it!

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Hey gang, it's really not a good idea to post your personal e-mail address online like that. You never know who is watching.

Once you both have 5 valid posts (i.e. not stuff like "Hi" with no other comment or posts obviously meant just to get your total up), you'll be able to contact each other via PM (private message). In the meantime, why not exchange some more information on the boards - other folks will probably appreciate what you've learned so far about Grenoble.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information! I would love to get in touch with the woman you've been talking to in Grenoble. I'll take any advice about housing, schools, children, etc. My husband and I are thinking about visiting in June, as well, which will probably help a lot.

Are you moving to Grenoble for work? How long will you be there?

I can't seem to get your email address, but I'll try to go around the system and give you mine...

<snip>l ;)

If you wouldn't mind contacting me, I'd really appreciate it!
Okay, once we have 5 posts, we will be able to email, so I will write more when I hear from my Grenoble friend. I do know she selected to first live near a park which turned out to have a summer festival. The park was great for the kids, but the festival had lots of drunks going to the bathroom right outside their apartment, so now they are right in the city. She absolutely loves it. The older places are apparently larger. I will send the best housing links (for rent) on my next email. Our expatriate package (for my husband - I am an entrepreneur and can work from home) is for 3 years, but I am only committing to two years, though may stay for 3 (baby steps, :)).

Patty

·
Registered
7 Posts
housing in Grenoble

BoulderPatty -

Hi there! We have returned from our househunting trip and will be living in St Ismier. My favorite websites for house hunting are: www dot bonjour dot fr and www dot arkadia dot com. You can search arkadia in english, but you are better off searching in french and doing the translation. The prices are lower than the posted english prices since the euro is in the dumps. Click on immobilier and then on the next screen, click on location immobilier. Just put in your euro limits for a place. The apartments are mostly small, but the city seems fun. We went up to the bastille by car. The ride was not so bad and the dropoffs are blocked by a small railing that at least provides psychological comfort.

Renting in Grenoble is painful. For each place you see on the web, you have to use the renting agent (or that was our experience) for that particular unit. They don't call back or follow up as they say they will, so just keep calling. I was frustrated with this the whole week I was there, but once you eat one meal, you forgive and forget. The food, even the pizza, is just amazing.

I didn't find the french to be snobs at all. I learned a few words and did try to say a few things. Many don't speak english at all, but the service staff does. Asking directions on the streets was fun (not).

We stayed in the same hotel as the professional bike racers from the Tour Dauphine, a luxury, and there were only about 300 people cheering the stage start, so you can talk to the riders or take photos of them.

I plan to join open forum or whatever that expat thing is. Maybe I will see you there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want any info about primary & secondary schools in Grenoble then please feel free to get in touch. I have been on the PTA at the "international" primary school for 10 years, and I now have 2 kids at the international high school.

Having "been there, done that" I can probably give you soime pointers.

Mandy:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
please tell me some more!!

If you want any info about primary & secondary schools in Grenoble then please feel free to get in touch. I have been on the PTA at the "international" primary school for 10 years, and I now have 2 kids at the international high school.

Having "been there, done that" I can probably give you soime pointers.

Mandy:)
Hi,

Am thinking of relocating with my employer to Grenoble. The biggest thing putting me off is my daughter is due to start school in the uk in september - that is the main reason we are going back to the UK from Norway this summer. Can you tell me a little more about the international primary school? I need to register my interest in the role very soon so would really appreciate whatever you can tell me - hope you get this message!!

many thanks

Adam

·
Registered
20 Posts
adam1410 said:
Hi,

Am thinking of relocating with my employer to Grenoble. The biggest thing putting me off is my daughter is due to start school in the uk in september - that is the main reason we are going back to the UK from Norway this summer. Can you tell me a little more about the international primary school? I need to register my interest in the role very soon so would really appreciate whatever you can tell me - hope you get this message!!

many thanks

Adam
Hi Adam how old is your daughter? A friend of mine moved to the Grenoble area 3/4 years ago, his boys were 10 and 6/7 and were put straight into the local French school. Being children they learned French very quickly and were pretty much fluent for school within 6 months and now are almost fully fluent. If your staying in France/Grenoble and you have a good local school then I think the end product of a fully bilingual child in their future would be a great asset. Then when they are 14 the international school allows them to do English gcses and other qualifications from the UK, after this the world is their oyster :))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Adam how old is your daughter? A friend of mine moved to the Grenoble area 3/4 years ago, his boys were 10 and 6/7 and were put straight into the local French school. Being children they learned French very quickly and were pretty much fluent for school within 6 months and now are almost fully fluent. If your staying in France/Grenoble and you have a good local school then I think the end product of a fully bilingual child in their future would be a great asset. Then when they are 14 the international school allows them to do English gcses and other qualifications from the UK, after this the world is their oyster :))
my eldest daughter is 3, 4 in June and then due to start school in the UK in september! Norwegians think it is just bonkers that we start school so young but thats just how it is. I expect we'd only be in France for 3 yrs give or take so whilst it is a bonus to have a second language, especially a widely spoken one - (unlike norwegian), i think i'd prefer her to be taught at least partially in english but you're probably right it would make little real difference and woudl help us integrate... nice to have options though...

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi,

My husband works in Grenoble, but we don't live there. I have two children 6 and 13, both girls. In our village we have an international primary school. They still teach in french, (you find this in all international schools) but have teacher that speak english, but is a private school and you have to pay. My children go to the local schools. we have been here 6 months and both are doing really well. I would say look into French schools in grenoble as it is such a cosmopolitan city that the teacher will more than likely speak english. Surely you are coming to France for a French experiance, that is will proberbly be the best education you can give you children!!

hope this helps emma

·
Registered
20 Posts
adam1410 said:
my eldest daughter is 3, 4 in June and then due to start school in the UK in september! Norwegians think it is just bonkers that we start school so young but thats just how it is. I expect we'd only be in France for 3 yrs give or take so whilst it is a bonus to have a second language, especially a widely spoken one - (unlike norwegian), i think i'd prefer her to be taught at least partially in english but you're probably right it would make little real difference and woudl help us integrate... nice to have options though...
I spoke to my friend nd he said both his kids went to French school one until 11 and one until 15ish but I know from their family that the children speaking French is unbelievably helpful and from what I have been told at your daughters age it won't take long at all for her to be speaking French nd learning probably at the same pace she will learning English :) hope this helps

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Am I alone in this?
Beejeezus: if you're going to live in another country to give you and your kids the benefit of exposure to other cultures etc, WHY, please WHY do you insist on trying to get your kids the same or similar education as they might have had in the place you want to leave? Isn't this defeating the object?

Yes, OK, the way things are done here IS different, but I would defy anyone to say that France & its educational system is incapable of producing intellectually and socially adequate contributing members of society.

I agree it's important to maintain a fluency in the language of your home country - if for no other reason than to benefit yourself and your kids of a potential bilingualism. But in my view, as long as you maintain a good, healthy & learning environment at home commensurate with the age of kids in question, there's no disadvantage AT ALL to the kids joining educational, social & cultural life at their local schools.

At Lycee level, of course it's possible to take the International Bac or whatever other international qualifications you might deem necessary, but why condemn your kids to be different even before you've moved in ?

If you don't like the system, why move here ?

H

Sorry, will stop ranting now ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I alone in this?
Beejeezus: if you're going to live in another country to give you and your kids the benefit of exposure to other cultures etc, WHY, please WHY do you insist on trying to get your kids the same or similar education as they might have had in the place you want to leave? Isn't this defeating the object?

Yes, OK, the way things are done here IS different, but I would defy anyone to say that France & its educational system is incapable of producing intellectually and socially adequate contributing members of society.

I agree it's important to maintain a fluency in the language of your home country - if for no other reason than to benefit yourself and your kids of a potential bilingualism. But in my view, as long as you maintain a good, healthy & learning environment at home commensurate with the age of kids in question, there's no disadvantage AT ALL to the kids joining educational, social & cultural life at their local schools.

At Lycee level, of course it's possible to take the International Bac or whatever other international qualifications you might deem necessary, but why condemn your kids to be different even before you've moved in ?

If you don't like the system, why move here ?

H

Sorry, will stop ranting now ....
Yes, and without ranting at all :)

If you move internationally every couple of years and think that may continue the ability to have a continuity in style and language of education is important.

Horses for courses and all that.

Adam

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Yes, and without ranting at all :)

If you move internationally every couple of years and think that may continue the ability to have a continuity in style and language of education is important.

Horses for courses and all that.

Adam
Then don't trail your kids around with you; park them in a boarding school "at home" while you get on with "your life". Come to that, why bother having kids at all ?

H

Sorry, still ranting

1 - 20 of 57 Posts