Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm in process of buying a property in the Chassenon area (Poiters-charente) for a permanent move with my wife and 6 month old son. Although I can do most building work myself, I will need a plumber who will be able to fit an oil boiler to the heating system.

Does anybody know of any English speaking plumbers who would be happy for this work?

I will be moving towards the end of August.

Also does anybody in the area know if there are any baby groups/pre-school groups/mother and baby groups, be they english or french, nearby?

Kindest regards

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I think you will find that most French plumbers speak only French! The problem is finding one that has free time to do the work for you.

I understand your problem, but just dive in and try? The vocabulary is not difficult.......devis, chaudiere. tuyeau, eau, froid, chaud.... write them down on a piece of paper before the first visit, then smiles and coffee when he comes.

To seek how others have approached initital problems in France see http://www.expatforum.com/expats/fr...90-so-far-so-good-first-few-weeks-france.html.

Good luck, welcome to French speaking France!

Please tell us how you get on.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
Also does anybody in the area know if there are any baby groups/pre-school groups/mother and baby groups, be they english or french, nearby?
Can't help on the English speaking plumber part, but your wife may want to look into Message, which is a parent group for English speaking parents in France. https://www.messageparis.org/public_website/

In August, when you arrive, most clubs and associations (in other words, "groups" of all sorts) will probably be shut down for the summer. Things start jumping again in September, and you may want to look around for signs posted by the roadside for a Forum des Associations - which is a kind of public fair for the local associations to flaunt their stuff and attract new members. There may be some baby groups in the area and the Forums are probably the easiest way to find them. Some general purpose groups may have young mums groups - try something like AVF (Accueil des Villes Françaises, which is a group for newcomers in the area, French or foreigner). Or you can ask at the local mairie to see if there is a halte garderie or creche in town.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
When I was at school in the UK those who became plumbers, electricians, builders or whatever were not that bothered about learning French or German.

It is very much the same in France. Those who become plumbers probably did not pay much attention to their English lessons.

An English speaking plumber....well that means a Brit expat plumber and all the joys that entails. I would say....AVOID these types unless they are very well established.

Pre school groups/baby groups don't really exist in France. Maybe in cities ?????

You are moving to rural France. Different life.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Come, come, Dear Smeggie! Charity!

You are insulting my English speaking plumber that I used years ago. His English vocabulary was extensive for French plumbers. He could say "good morning", "goodbye", and, and....that was the limit.

Agree entirely about not using Brits, the whole question of insurance, knowing the every changing norms is relevant.

DejW

When I was at school in the UK those who became plumbers, electricians, builders or whatever were not that bothered about learning French or German.

It is very much the same in France. Those who become plumbers probably did not pay much attention to their English lessons.

An English speaking plumber....well that means a Brit expat plumber and all the joys that entails. I would say....AVOID these types unless they are very well established.

Pre school groups/baby groups don't really exist in France. Maybe in cities ?????

You are moving to rural France. Different life.

Good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts

Kindest regards
Hi Jonny,

1) Online - You can try searching meetup(dot)com for baby groups. I found one in my city that was created by an Aussie, although it is closed now.

2) Association - Another one, I came across by walking through the neighborhood and saw a huge group of parents with babies. It's called Tout un monde toutunmonde(dot)org - It is specific to Marseille, but there could be something like it near you.

3) Playground - Another way I met a mom was at a local playground.

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
As far as the plumber is concerned, you might want to try a website called plombier.com

It seems to be a collection of plumbers in the area - and one of them might have an English sounding name or even mention a language in their listing. They advertise on the radio all the time here and they do seem to have a reasonable selection of artisans in any given area.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
or, you could try youtube....tube, plumbers?.......:)

DejW

As far as the plumber is concerned, you might want to try a website called plombier.com

It seems to be a collection of plumbers in the area - and one of them might have an English sounding name or even mention a language in their listing. They advertise on the radio all the time here and they do seem to have a reasonable selection of artisans in any given area.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts