Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for english speaking doctors in Hérault area. We have a home there and are planning to be there for 6 months.

Thanks.:)

·
Administrator
50,066 Posts
I assume you've already consulted the US Consulate listing http://photos.state.gov/libraries/france/5/acs/paris-doctors.pdf

There seems to be an issue in France with many doctors reluctant to admit to speaking English (or any other language for that matter). Part of it may be reluctance to appear to be "advertising" (some prefectures are very strict on this issue) and part of it may be simply that they don't need the added "complication" of having to dredge up their school language skills in a professional context.

You may have better luck asking around after you get to Hérault, or even asking at the local mairie (at least for their list of doctors) or at the local pharmacie. (I've often found that the pharmacists are the best source of information about the medical staff and facilities in the area.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Looking for english speaking doctors in Hérault area. We have a home there and are planning to be there for 6 months.

Thanks.:)
You may not need one unless you have some very complex health issues. We have found that because medicine is pretty much the same everywhere (technically) and a lot of the publications (Lancet, NEJM) being in English almost require doctors and pharmacists to speak some English. We have had no difficulty in communicating with Doctors or Pharmacists and my wife speaks no French at all.

Get a personal recommendation for the best local doctor and schedule an appointment, that's what we did and it's worked out fine. Be prepared for a totally different experience though, forget plush offices, receptionists, MA's, RN's etc. Our doctor is a one-man band, runs his own appointments, receives his patients, treats them (very well) and makes house calls.

Bon chance

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dear

Speaking English is an issue, what of Arabic, Polish, Thai and Fidjian or even Spanish?
Every foreign language is...
Have you tried a French speaking GP in Fidji?

Ask city council and police, even fire station, they might use English speaking Docs when treating accidents and they might have lists.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We are currently staying in the small village of Pomerols, Herault (not Pomerol, near Bordeaux)...we have an English speaking doctor here in the village...both myself and my husband have had cause to visit him during our time here. I can give you details if it helps at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.