Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple problem regarding obtaining a legal document from the registration office in Nantes. can anyone give me contact details for an English speaking notaire?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
can you go to your consulate? We needed documents notarized so we had them done at our consulate. There are also places online that will notarize document for you. They will or may require you to mail your docs to them and then they send them back to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you go to your consulate? We needed documents notarized so we had them done at our consulate. There are also places online that will notarize document for you. They will or may require you to mail your docs to them and then they send them back to you.
Thanks Annie, I do not need a consulate, it's a final divorce document that must be applied for by a French Notaire, It has to be the original and not a copy, also do not need it to be translated.

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
You could try asking at your local mairie. I think notaires fall under the same sorts of law about "advertising" that the doctors and attorneys here do. They aren't allowed to make any sort of "publicité" and in some areas, that includes allowing their names to be included on lists of English speaking (or other language capable) professionals.

You could try and find a traducteur in the area to accompany you to the notaire. Won't be cheap, but at least you'll have the information properly translated and explained to you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
719 Posts
An alternative way of finding an English speaking notaire is to go into an estate agent and ask.
If they have ever sold to a Brit they will have used their services however far away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciated.
However, I am not living in France, all I need is a name and contact details of an English speaking Notaire, one that returns my emails and phone calls, yes I have contacted several in the last few months, nobody replies to me!!!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
Just be aware that many French professional (notaires, lawyers, etc.) aren't terribly inclined to respond to e-mail questions or requests. Not sure what it is, but that just seems to be the way it is. Perhaps once you find an English speaking notaire, you might propose a telephone "rendez-vous" where you could call and pose your questions directly.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You could try asking the French consulate in the UK how you can find a French notary to request the document from Nantes.

Alternatively call the Service Central D'Etat Civil on +33 08.26.08.06.04, or send them a letter asking them how to go about it - their address is
Service Central D'Etat Civil
11 rue de la Maison blanche
44941 NANTES CEDEX 9
They may be able to put you in touch with a notaire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could try asking the French consulate in the UK how you can find a French notary to request the document from Nantes.

Alternatively call the Service Central D'Etat Civil on +33 08.26.08.06.04, or send them a letter asking them how to go about it - their address is
Service Central D'Etat Civil
11 rue de la Maison blanche
44941 NANTES CEDEX 9
They may be able to put you in touch with a notaire.

I've contacted both already, my French is poor and in both cases they were not at all helpful. I was directed to a list of notaires all of which did not respond!!!

I was hoping someone could give me a direct personal contact who they have used.

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
What sort of document are you looking for that requires a notary to request it? Because if it's the sort of document that is generally available, especially if it relates to family or civil status, you can very often request it online. https://mdel.mon.service-public.fr/acte-etat-civil.html (Yes, it's all in French - but you can sit there with a dictionary or run the page through a translation program at your own convenience.)

Some land documents are also available online - though you need to check the website of the mairie where the document is stored.

There may be some notaries out there who speak English, but they very often don't think in "anglo-saxon" terms when it comes to officialdom and may simply not understand what it is you're asking them for/to do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You may need to look for a solicitor in the UK who works with French notaries if the French Consulate in the UK can't assist. Usually Nantes would advise those overseas to request documents relating to their Etat Civil through the French Consulate in their country of residence. I do know, though, that in some circumstances the Consulate will tell you that the request has to come via a French notary, but not for normal run of the mill Etat Civil documents. This is potentially not run of the mill. You should have received the document through the divorce process, if you are not French it will not be registered on your birth certificate. If you didn't receive the document at the end of the divorce proceedings, you should perhaps contact the lawyer who dealt with the matter, or the Tribunal that approved the divorce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may need to look for a solicitor in the UK who works with French notaries if the French Consulate in the UK can't assist. Usually Nantes would advise those overseas to request documents relating to their Etat Civil through the French Consulate in their country of residence. I do know, though, that in some circumstances the Consulate will tell you that the request has to come via a French notary, but not for normal run of the mill Etat Civil documents. This is potentially not run of the mill. You should have received the document through the divorce process, if you are not French it will not be registered on your birth certificate. If you didn't receive the document at the end of the divorce proceedings, you should perhaps contact the lawyer who dealt with the matter, or the Tribunal that approved the divorce.
I've spoken to the lawyer/tribunal, it is from them that I was told that it is registered in Nantes, and that it can only be requested via a French notaire. I have the same information from the French consulate. I've tried to find a UK firm who has contacts in France, only one firm offered any advice and gave me a couple of names, both of which did not reply.
Just how difficult can it be to get a piece of paper from Nantes???

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
You say that you have spoken to the lawyer/tribunal - I assume that they are in France and are English speaking.

If the lawyer represented your interests then I would get in touch again and explain your present difficulty. Can he/she not request the document for you?

Alternatively find a French person who can help you contact a notaire in France and help you with the language.

Lastly, despite what you have been told, have you tried asking for the document on-line from Nantes? There is a phone number for Nantes on their site - might be worth trying to contact them and hope there is someone who speaks English.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts