Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

We are moving to Spain in October, and will be between Benalmadena & Torremolinos with Lidl very close to where we will live.

I've seen the posts about baked beans lol but knowing what you guys (and gals) know what products would you stock up while still in the UK, before the move to Spain?

Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
I haven't found anything I can't get here from the UK. No sign of TimTams or Vegemite but UK stuff is available just more expensive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Guys,

We are moving to Spain in October, and will be between Benalmadena & Torremolinos with Lidl very close to where we will live.

I've seen the posts about baked beans lol but knowing what you guys (and gals) know what products would you stock up while still in the UK, before the move to Spain?

Thanks
Hi I guess if you drink tea , teabags might be worth bringing , they can be quite expensive in some places !

Good luck with the move !

Tony

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
I get Morrisons teabags every few months from a friend who works in Gibraltar. The teabags usually sold in Spain are the silly little ones attached to a cardboard tag. Loose tea I've never seen (but I don't live in a Brit zone).

The other day I bought an expensive jar of Branston pickle as a present for my husband who is rather partial to it.

The only "English" products I stock up on while I'm in the UK are certain Asian spices - cardamoms, star anise, tandoori powder etc.

Everything else is either available in Spain or there is a Spanish product which does the same job.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you not think that stuff imported from Oz would be even more expensive??
Yes, I'm sure they would be, the point is no-one is importing them. Not the demand I suppose. I'm not worried, I am finding new Spanish food I like so am not hanging out for Aussie food. :)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Where you are planning on living is close to Fuengirola where there is an "Iceland" store which stocks (at a price) most things that you might want and can't wean yourself off. Also in the seafront at Fuengirola is the best fish and chips on the CdS at a place called Crispy Cod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can I ask about dog food here? I am moving to Murcia mid August with 2 picky poodles. Is there a Pets-at-home type pet supermarket with a good range of the higher meat content dog foods?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Where I live there are no English products whatsoever, so whatever we need and cannot obtain here, we make our own or do without. Sometimes do have stuff sent from the U.K. but not often, parsnip seeds and bolts for canarian wooden beds were the last items.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Can I ask about dog food here? I am moving to Murcia mid August with 2 picky poodles. Is there a Pets-at-home type pet supermarket with a good range of the higher meat content dog foods?
Yes, all over Spain there are plenty of pet stores, like Animalia, and online suppliers that do free delivery like Don Mascota. Also nearly every vet sells the quality foods.

Take a look and see if you recognise any brands.
Comida para Perros

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Tea

I get Morrisons teabags every few months from a friend who works in Gibraltar. The teabags usually sold in Spain are the silly little ones attached to a cardboard tag. Loose tea I've never seen (but I don't live in a Brit zone).

The other day I bought an expensive jar of Branston pickle as a present for my husband who is rather partial to it.

The only "English" products I stock up on while I'm in the UK are certain Asian spices - cardamoms, star anise, tandoori powder etc.

Everything else is either available in Spain or there is a Spanish product which does the same job.
The hipercor in el corte in Cadiz sells twining, both the loose leaf and the bags.it also sells Branston pickle and doesn't seem very expensive. In the central market, there is a stall selling every loose leaf tea that you can imagine and across from the market on the side of Carrefour, there is a bar/cafe called le poeme that also sells a multitude of teas plus some lovely cakes made by the Italian husband of the French owner. Closed on Mondays, but most of the central market is too.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
The hipercor in el corte in Cadiz sells twining, both the loose leaf and the bags.it also sells Branston pickle and doesn't seem very expensive. In the central market, there is a stall selling every loose leaf tea that you can imagine and across from the market on the side of Carrefour, there is a bar/cafe called le poeme that also sells a multitude of teas plus some lovely cakes made by the Italian husband of the French owner. Closed on Mondays, but most of the central market is too.
Thank you, I can see there are definite advantages to living in the capital rather than the pueblo!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, all over Spain there are plenty of pet stores, like Animalia, and online suppliers that do free delivery like Don Mascota. Also nearly every vet sells the quality foods.

Take a look and see if you recognise any brands.
Comida para Perros
Ooh thank you. A bit cheaper than UK prices too. I don't need to stock up too much for the drive down then x

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using a group on facebook called - Expat Shopping Group. You can order groceries from the UK supermarkets like Asda, Tesco etc delivered to Spain. I also use them for stuff of Amazon and Ebay UK and buy from sellers that don't post out to Spain.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Thank you, I can see there are definite advantages to living in the capital rather than the pueblo!
But, they definitely don't outweigh the advantages of living in pleasant smog-free surrounds among warm friendly people. Pueblo every time for me. There will always be somebody who is going to the likes of Iceland who says "Is there anything you need?"

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
But, they definitely don't outweigh the advantages of living in pleasant smog-free surrounds among warm friendly people. Pueblo every time for me. There will always be somebody who is going to the likes of Iceland who says "Is there anything you need?"
Are there no 'warm and friendly' people in Barcelona, Madrid or Benidorm, then, Baldy?;) I seem to remember people being very friendly, warm and helpful when I last visited Barcelona.
My pueblo has a registered population of 1008(!) but I'm pretty sure there are some miserable, anti-social, curmudgeonly old sods living there..
And there's me....
Incidentally, I was a bit taken aback recently to learn that two complete strangers we met whilst dog walking in our village knew quite a lot about us.....they knew that my son has property here, that we are connected with ADANA and that I am a PSOE 'militante'.
(That always reminds me of 'Millie Tant' the cartoon lefty character in 'Viz' comic).

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Are there no 'warm and friendly' people in Barcelona, Madrid or Benidorm, then, Baldy?;) I seem to remember people being very friendly, warm and helpful when I last visited Barcelona
Not according to the m-i-l of SWMBO's cousin who has lived there for 20 years. According to her she had been spoken to and greeted more in the three days they stayed with us than she had in 20 years where they are, and that includes her neighbours as well.. That, in my experience, applies to most cities and large towns.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Not according to the m-i-l of SWMBO's cousin who has lived there for 20 years. According to her she had been spoken to and greeted more in the three days they stayed with us than she had in 20 years where they are, and that includes her neighbours as well.. That, in my experience, applies to most cities and large towns.
Not mine, though. I've lived most of my life in small towns in rural areas with twelve years in London, north London and honestly can't say I noticed much difference.
Londoners are, or were, very cheerful, friendly people but apart from regular visits I haven't actually lived in London foryears, maybe things have changed.
Big cities are often in fact made up of small villages, closely- knit communities with a vibrant social life.
In my experience, it is a myth that smaller towns and villages are more friendly. Just because people know everything about you doesn't mean they like you.
My grandmother used to pass the time of day with an equally aged neighbour when they met in the street. After she'd tottered on her way, my gran would snort derisively in her direction and relate how, during the war, the woman had 'carried on' with the Yanks while her husband was away fighting the Japs. Another neighbour was vilified for his black market activities during the war. All this some forty years later.
My gran was not unique. Other old biddies made similar comments.

Btw, the last smog in the UK was in the 1960s, wasn't it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts