Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have a house in Oliva and we are thinking of ways to get out there to retire a bit earlier. My wife is a midwife and qualified in hypnobirth as well.
She is thinking along the lines of having a B and B that also runs anti natal classes as we understand this doesn't happen in Spain .
Just wondering on women's thoughts about this
Many thanks in advance for your input

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
The midwives in the local centros de salud definitely do run ante natal classes.

Where did you get the idea that they don't?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I think the OP means that there is no combined B&B / Antenatal class service in Spain, which may be the case.

I would be more concerned about getting the official midwife title in Spain as this could be the biggest issue. Of course, we don't yet know how the Brexit terms will affect the recognition of controlled professions in the EU, but it is probably a safe bet that the UK will be excluded from this scheme soon, neaning that British midwives will have to formally homologate their qualififcation with the Spanish ministry of education (effectively studying again in Spanish) in order to be allowed to practice as would any non-EU professional.

If this is a serious intention, I would suggest that the move is made soon and the recognition process under the EU scheme is started ASAP in the hope that the recognition will be grated and valid.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I think the OP means that there is no combined B&B / Antenatal class service in Spain, which may be the case.

I would be more concerned about getting the official midwife title in Spain as this could be the biggest issue. Of course, we don't yet know how the Brexit terms will affect the recognition of controlled professions in the EU, but it is probably a safe bet that the UK will be excluded from this scheme soon, neaning that British midwives will have to formally homologate their qualififcation with the Spanish ministry of education (effectively studying again in Spanish) in order to be allowed to practice as would any non-EU professional.

If this is a serious intention, I would suggest that the move is made soon and the recognition process under the EU scheme is started ASAP in the hope that the recognition will be grated and valid.
I think the title would have to be homologated even if the holder is a member of the EU. Would it be with the Dept. Of Ed. or a medical institution?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your advice. We have been told that as Spanish pay for child birth that they do not offer anti natal care.
This was just an idea and wanted to see what English or Spanish ladies have to do when pregnant.
The B and B idea was just another idea to live and work out there, if my wife could run anti natal classes for English and Spanish women, then it could be a bonus.
She is well aware that her honours degree may not serve her out there in the hospital but was putting the dealers out
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I think the title would have to be homologated even if the holder is a member of the EU. Would it be with the Dept. Of Ed. or a medical institution?
Under the current EU scheme, a controlled profession can be exercised by an EU citizen by means of recognition of title and professional experience. The authority which would approve this recognition is the competent authority in the destination country fo rthe controlled profession. I assume for midwifery that would be the Ministry of Health.

This is an EU scheme only, others have to homolgate titles the "old way" by studies only (experience doesn't count) through the Ministry of Education.

I did this and got my title recognised as Arquitecto Técnico by the then Ministerio de la Vivienda.

But sadly this will probably be another benefit that the UK loses with Brexit....

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Thank you for all your advice. We have been told that as Spanish pay for child birth that they do not offer anti natal care.
This was just an idea and wanted to see what English or Spanish ladies have to do when pregnant.
The B and B idea was just another idea to live and work out there, if my wife could run anti natal classes for English and Spanish women, then it could be a bonus.
She is well aware that her honours degree may not serve her out there in the hospital but was putting the dealers out
Many thanks
Pregnant women can access both private and public ante natal classes. I don't know of anywhere that offers antenatal classes in English, but I don't expect there'd be a very high/ constant demand either

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Under the current EU scheme, a controlled profession can be exercised by an EU citizen by means of recognition of title and professional experience. The authority which would approve this recognition is the competent authority in the destination country fo rthe controlled profession. I assume for midwifery that would be the Ministry of Health.

This is an EU scheme only, others have to homolgate titles the "old way" by studies only (experience doesn't count) through the Ministry of Education.

I did this and got my title recognised as Arquitecto Técnico by the then Ministerio de la Vivienda.

But sadly this will probably be another benefit that the UK loses with Brexit....
What is a controlled profession?
Teachers do often have to get their qualification recognized, and that is in the Min. of Ed.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Many thanks
Chilbirth, ante natal and post natal care are all free, too.

Who ever has given you this information is very ill informed.

A B&B would be more likely to work, but you need to research licences very carefully.

Check out licences for running a casa rural. You need to speak to the town hall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts