Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just a quick query- I am applying for Spouse Visa by 15th May. I am a graduate from Delhi University and studied English till my graduation. Do I need to take any test for English?

In the Visa form it was mentioned regarding English requirement:

1. By passing a test with an approved provider or
2. By having a degree taught in English
3. By being a citizen or national of a majority english language speaking country

I think I fall in 2nd Category. As In my graduation degree, I have english as a subject and then I did My B. Ed. (Bachelor of Education) and diploma in HR from IIM-Calcutta. I am working in a KPO/BPO as a Manager and work for an Australian Bank.

Any suggestions? or any advice?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
This is what you need:
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

Your degree will need to be confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK, if it was taken in another country.

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:
a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada).
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

So you need
NARIC letter or certificate about equivalency to UK degree.
A letter from your university certifying your degree was taught in English.
Plus original degree certificate (with translation if applicable).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Speaking of English language test for spouse visa - is the minimum requirement life skills A1 ILETS and you only need to show you can speak and understand English?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joppa. However I can provide these two:

A letter from your university certifying your degree was taught in English.
Plus original degree certificate (with translation if applicable).

But not this:
NARIC letter or certificate about equivalency to UK degree.

Will this impact my application?

Please suggest

·
Registered
6 Posts
NARIC does 2 different types of comparison statements for international qualifications:

1) Statement of Comparability

2) English Language Assessment

Which one is appropriate for visa purposes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Joppa for your reply. I got that certified from my university that my Course was taught in english. I am working in an international BPO for an Australian bank, they have their branch in london as well. Will all this suffice and support my application as I am applying on Wednesday.

I dont hav comparability report from NARIC.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You have to get a report from NARIC otherwise it doesn't count. NARIC, in my experience, is a nasty institution which uses every opportunity to make the process impossible. For example, they refused to certify my degree was taught in English cause one of my subjects was French, and that was taught in French, even though the rest of the course was taught in English. The fact that you work for a foreign company (or for example, have been working as a UN translator from/into English for the last 20 years and similar) is completely irrelevant. In that case, you have to pass the approved English language test. NARIC I think has some super expensive speeded up service (or they had it, they may have changed some things now) or you may want to delay your application rather than be rejected. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. However my immigration lawyer told me that I dont need IELTS or NARIC certification as my university has given me certificate that course was taught in english. I have done Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.). I cross checked with another lawyer and they told me the same. But when i searched on my own, I got different view.

I called british council today and they told me will take weeks for IELTS. I need to apply before 15th May as all documents are ready

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called NARIC today as well but they told me that english language assessment will take 10-15 days and there is no fast track service available for this option.

I am thought of submitting my application with university certificate stating the degree was taught in english. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, you can try but as they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions... or in this case, the road to visa refusals is paved with wrong advice given by immigration lawyers.

Legally speaking, you should be rejected. Chances are, you will be rejected. Probability wise, you will be rejected. But maybe they'll miss the fact that you don't have the NARIC's blessing and you'll be fine. I wouldn't bet on it and I myself wouldn't do it, but it's your choice...

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
What you want NARIC for isn't English language assessment but comparability. To certify that the degree you did in India is comparable to a UK bachelor's. There is no worldwide standard of university degrees and not every degree is equivalent to a UK degree, hence you need to submit your degree details to NARIC and they investigate and certify equivalence if appropriate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi everyone,

twilight, goodluck!! this seems to be proving much harder than i thought!

Joppa, I viewed the link you posted and i have a quick question, I hope no one else minds that i'm "piggy backing"off this thread. (I don't see the point of starting a new one as most of my questions have been answered) .

I just have a quick question for Joppa; I am South African and i have a degree in Political Science and International Relations through the university of Cape Town. Do I still need to go through NARIC for approval? I'm asking because SA is mainly english speaking but our country is not under one of the countries exempt from meeting the language criteria. I have spoken english my entire life and I have a degree in english. However, I took a filler course in spanish, just for the fun of it. But it wasn't a major. University of Cape Town is an internationally recognised university. Do i still need go through NARIC?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Other than NARIC, you can go on the points-based calculator and input your degree details. It's for those on PBS but English section can be used for your purpose. Just select something like Tier 2 (General) and answer yes until you get to English section. Put in your degree details and print out the result.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.