Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing an application for my unmarried partner. English is his 3rd language but he speaks it quite well. He is about to complete a 2 year college diploma from an Ontario College Institution.

On the UK Border Agency page I have seen it state that unless you are a national of a majority English-speaking country you must provide test results or "hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree or above".

In Canada a college diploma is not considered to be equivalent to a bachelor's degree but completing a 2 year post-secondary college program should be an indication that you speak and understand English. Especially since (I believe) the required testing score is quite low.

My question is: Does anyone know if the UK Border Agency would see/has seen Canadian college diplomas as adequate documentation for the language requirement??

Thanks!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Definitely no. He needs a bachelor's degree (BA, BSc etc) or higher.
What is his nationality?
He will have to take an English test in speaking and listening, some are available online. He needs to pass at A1 or above, which is pretty basic. Later when he goes for settlement in 5 years, he will need B1 (intermediate).
List of approved tests is http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf. Go for a test with no expiry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa. I have been researching the tests offered locally. Its just frustrating that the level A1 is so basic his college transcripts should be adequate... but then I don't get to make the rules. :)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
The rules apply globally, so there must be a standard attainment that can be verified.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.