Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just come across a site which says English Language requirement for skilled migration is raised to 6.0 in all components. What i know that it is raised to 7.0 in each component..?

I am confused again is it 6.0 or 7.0 for visa 175 offshore?

Here is the link which says 6.0:
English Language Requirement Changes from 1 Jan 10 - Migration Expert

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
What does it say on the DIAC website? I would take whatever it says there since they are the visa department.

The only link I could find about changes from Jan 1st for languages:
Australian Immigration - Legislation Change Update

"require applicants applying with 'concessional competent English' to attain an average score of 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);"

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
16 Posts
English test, skilled test centre TRA/VETASSESS -help on any info please

Hi there, I've just reading through a whole load of stuff also and what i could work out was you got the 6.o being english and holding a uk,us,canadian, anywhere with english langauge passport but to gain extra points to mark your 120 points for application you could do a higher english to gain the 7.0 and i think you get 25 points if you pass instead of the 15 awarded ?, dont quote me but thats what i understood it to be. Good luck and if I come across what i read and where i will try letting you know, but am new to all this so just working my way around it all also. try Department of Immigration & Citizenship website they have loads of info. sure i may have read it from a link off them.

Do you have any info on where you get your skills assessment test done for the subclass 175 on skilled trades TRA or VETASSESS in the uk, pri-application ? any info would be great?

·
Registered
226 Posts
What does it say on the DIAC website? I would take whatever it says there since they are the visa department.

The only link I could find about changes from Jan 1st for languages:
Australian Immigration - Legislation Change Update

"require applicants applying with 'concessional competent English' to attain an average score of 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);"

Regards,
Karen

I have Average score of 6.5 and also I recieved 176 VIC SS. Can I apply with existing IELTS of avg 6.5.? I have 100 points without considering IELTS points.
I asked VIC, but they replied to ask DIAC on IELTS score requirement.
Any idea?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am an accountant and a US citizen. Under Critical Skills list ASCO code 2211-11 for Accountants, the applicant needs a score of 7 in all 4 competencies. However, on Form 1276, under Language Requirements it seems I do not have to provide evidence of English Language Ability since I am a US citizen. So do I need to take the exam. I am very confused about what I need to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am an accountant and a US citizen. Under Critical Skills list ASCO code 2211-11 for Accountants, the applicant needs a score of 7 in all 4 competencies. However, on Form 1276, under Language Requirements it seems I do not have to provide evidence of English Language Ability since I am a US citizen. So do I need to take the exam. I am very confused about what I need to do.
I am in the same boat, Irish qualified chartered accountant (English native language). I understand that taking the IELTS exam may speed up your application even though you are not required to do so. Its a funny one as it seems to only apply to accountants!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in the same boat, Irish qualified chartered accountant (English native language). I understand that taking the IELTS exam may speed up your application even though you are not required to do so. Its a funny one as it seems to only apply to accountants!
I went ahead and took the General Training test on May 8th. I got my results today. Listening 7, Reading 7.5, Writing 8 and Speaking 8.5 for a overall band score of 8.
Make sure you work on listening as I had taken only one practice test as I got only 1 answer wrong in it. The first 3 sections I aced but stumbled badly in the fourth when the content suddenly became difficult.
I thought I did much better in the reading section than what I got. On the other hand, I thought I did very badly in the writing module but got 8. For speaking the examiner asked me about my hometown, my childhood and some sports related questions.
This is the website I used to prepare for the exam. Good Luck.

IELTS Exam Preparation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts