Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this fascinating and wanted to share it on the forum. A friend of ours, married, 2 daughters, has lived here for 10 years The daughters are 19 and 16 years old. The 19 year old is very shy, almost reclusive, but that's another story.
The 16 year old is very gregarious, confident and very pretty. She attends a local school and has been brought up speaking Castellano and Catalan, obviously fluently.
She has a Catalan boyfriend and spends time with him and his family, and also all, or most , of her friends are Catalan.
Our friend, her mother, has noticed recently that she is speaking English with a "foreign" accent. She says there is a "lilt" there that was'nt there before. Also, she sometimes she has to ask her daughter to repeat herself as she does'nt always "get" what she says the first time.
I have never heard of this before and wondered if anyone else has experienced it .

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I find this fascinating and wanted to share it on the forum. A friend of ours, married, 2 daughters, has lived here for 10 years The daughters are 19 and 16 years old. The 19 year old is very shy, almost reclusive, but that's another story.
The 16 year old is very gregarious, confident and very pretty. She attends a local school and has been brought up speaking Castellano and Catalan, obviously fluently.
She has a Catalan boyfriend and spends time with him and his family, and also all, or most , of her friends are Catalan.
Our friend, her mother, has noticed recently that she is speaking English with a "foreign" accent. She says there is a "lilt" there that was'nt there before. Also, she sometimes she has to ask her daughter to repeat herself as she does'nt always "get" what she says the first time.
I have never heard of this before and wondered if anyone else has experienced it .

Yes, Hombre! Sometimes I think it's a "fitting in" thing as I've caught my three doing that from time to time when speaking English, but also we've noticed that if we're speaking English to an English-speaking Spaniard, for example, especially to members of the family who spent time in England, we'll say it with an English accent first, then may have to repeat the English with a Spanish accent and pronunciation, which sometimes makes it easier for them to understand. If you see what I mean!! :D

Tally.xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My friends boy who's 12 and has been here since he was 3 has a spanish accent. I think its because spoken Spanish seems to come from a different part of the mouth and the voice?? and if you speak Spanish so much then its habit to speak in the Spanish bit??? if you know what I mean??!

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,751 Posts
My friends boy who's 12 and has been here since he was 3 has a spanish accent. I think its because spoken Spanish seems to come from a different part of the mouth and the voice?? and if you speak Spanish so much then its habit to speak in the Spanish bit??? if you know what I mean??!

Jo xxx
you're right - spanish is spoken more from the back of the mouth, and if you watch, the spanish tend not to move the upper jaw as much as we do

my 2 don't so much speak english with a spanish accent, but they do speak both very fast & sometimes their phrasing in english is distinctly spanish:rolleyes: & they often use an english translation of a spanish word that we might not habitually use

I get them both to read to me aloud, dd2 does this every day - she's mildly dyslexic, & this seems to help

dd2 hasn't so much, but now that she's not doing english at school I've been insisting that she reads to me in english

the other day she mis-pronounced some long word - with a spanish pronunciation & emphasis

she wanted to know how on earth she was supposed to know which syllable was the strong one, why the english don't use tildes, and why don't they make vowel combinations always sound the same?

in her words ''...........like we do!!!'':D:eek:

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
you're right - spanish is spoken more from the back of the mouth, and if you watch, the spanish tend not to move the upper jaw as much as we do

my 2 don't so much speak english with a spanish accent, but they do speak both very fast & sometimes their phrasing in english is distinctly spanish:rolleyes: & they often use an english translation of a spanish word that we might not habitually use

I get them both to read to me aloud, dd2 does this every day - she's mildly dyslexic, & this seems to help

dd2 hasn't so much, but now that she's not doing english at school I've been insisting that she reads to me in english

the other day she mis-pronounced some long word - with a spanish pronunciation & emphasis

she wanted to know how on earth she was supposed to know which syllable was the strong one, why the english don't use tildes, and why don't they make vowel combinations always sound the same?

in her words ''...........like we do!!!'':D:eek:
Have you ever seen Aznar speak?? Look at a youtube vid and you'll see what xabiachica means. In fact Aznar's so stiff his whole body doesn't move!!
I remember when I began to speak a lot of Spanish getting jaw ache because you're using different parts of the mouth.

The accent and word stress in English is a the bane of a foreign student's life - and an English teacher's come to that. :)

·
Administrator
36,751 Posts
Have you ever seen Aznar speak?? Look at a youtube vid and you'll see what xabiachica means. In fact Aznar's so stiff his whole body doesn't move!!
I remember when I began to speak a lot of Spanish getting jaw ache because you're using different parts of the mouth.

The accent and word stress in English is a the bane of a foreign student's life - and an English teacher's come to that. :)
it is - that's why I prefer teaching spanish now

some foreign students learning english will accept it when you say 'just because it is' but some won't

but then when they realse there's more than one pronuncation of 'bath' etc you've lost the battle

& how do you say 'advertisement'???

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a friend who is Gibraltarean, so did her whole education in english, spoke it all the time etc, went to university in england too, her father is english but her mother is spanish so from babyhood she has been bilingual, and visited family in andalucia every holiday in childhood.

She's lived in the UK for 8 years now, and her husband is english. I find it amazing that she speaks english with a spanish accent, even though she has always spoken english more than spanish, and she often uses 'spanish' sentance structure and uses 'the' rather than 'his' or 'her' when she speaks in english.

Xabiachica - how old were your children when you moved?

·
Administrator
36,751 Posts
I have a friend who is Gibraltarean, so did her whole education in english, spoke it all the time etc, went to university in england too, her father is english but her mother is spanish so from babyhood she has been bilingual, and visited family in andalucia every holiday in childhood.

She's lived in the UK for 8 years now, and her husband is english. I find it amazing that she speaks english with a spanish accent, even though she has always spoken english more than spanish, and she often uses 'spanish' sentance structure and uses 'the' rather than 'his' or 'her' when she speaks in english.

Xabiachica - how old were your children when you moved?
they were 4 & 7 - 10.5 & nearly 14 now

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I went to a party last night and was talking to an english woman who's been here since she was 19, is now in her 40s and is married to a Spanish man. She is obviously totally fluent in Spanish, BUT, had a slight, but noticable Spanish accent!???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
it is - that's why I prefer teaching spanish now

some foreign students learning english will accept it when you say 'just because it is' but some won't

but then when they realse there's more than one pronuncation of 'bath' etc you've lost the battle

& how do you say 'advertisement'???

Not to mention the "How-many-syllables-are-there-in interesting, vegetable and comfortable" :confused: and let's just throw the stress patterns out the window:D

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
I went to a party last night and was talking to an english woman who's been here since she was 19, is now in her 40s and is married to a Spanish man. She is obviously totally fluent in Spanish, BUT, had a slight, but noticable Spanish accent!???

Jo xxx
Spanish speakers comments to me have changed over the years to a surprised
Oh you speak some Spanish, :)
to
Oh you speak very good Spanish :D
to
Gosh all these years and you've still got an accent...:(
I think we (and they) just have to get over it and carry on communicating which is what we want to do at the end of the day, isn't it?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
My granddaughter who is five speaks with a very distinct Spanish accent so much so that at times I cannot understand her.. her mother says there are days she sounds like a Mexican lol. Prior to living in Spain they lived in middle England and my grandchildren had public school accents but that has gone for what reason I have no idea.
I left Scotland at the age of 10 and stayed away for 30 years but I still have a strong Scottish accent.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and let's just throw the stress patterns out the window...???
should'nt that be "out of the window" ?....there you go...even a simple Yorkshire lad (uneducated) can teach a teacher a thing or two.
But, then again, could you physically throw the stress patterns out of the window ?? After all, you cannot touch or feel them, so cannot pick them up...which leads to the conclusion that, as a teacher, you must be very confusing to listen to.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
English is a very confusing language - as is Spanish. But all those "funny" expressions we come out with and yes, we stick "offs" and "ofs" where we shouldnt - but the point of language is communication. So thats how it should be taught, never mind the rights and wrongs or the accents or stress patterns - to be understood and to make yourself understood is the first step!

I did A level english at school and quite frankly very few "native" brits speak or write properly and also language changes with the fashion of the day - for example, "well wicked" means something completely different to what it did when I was a kid, but my kids say it all the time!!???

Jo xxx

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
English is a very confusing language - as is Spanish. But all those "funny" expressions we come out with and yes, we stick "offs" and "ofs" where we shouldnt - but the point of language is communication. So thats how it should be taught, never mind the rights and wrongs or the accents or stress patterns - to be understood and to make yourself understood is the first step!

I did A level english at school and quite frankly very few "native" brits speak or write properly and also language changes with the fashion of the day - for example, "well wicked" means something completely different to what it did when I was a kid, but my kids say it all the time!!???

Jo x

Jo xxx
??????????...what are you like ???????

·
Registered
19,449 Posts

Jo xxx

Jo xxx
:clap2: Way to go Jo!!:clap2:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
??????????...what are you like ???????

"What am I like"??????? I'm as warm as toast, without my coat on, watching "A miracle on 34th street". My gas fire is alive and well and its lovely and warm and cosy here !!!YAY, ITS CHRISTMAS!! lol

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
and let's just throw the stress patterns out the window...???
should'nt that be "out of the window" ?....there you go...even a simple Yorkshire lad (uneducated) can teach a teacher a thing or two.
But, then again, could you physically throw the stress patterns out of the window ?? After all, you cannot touch or feel them, so cannot pick them up...which leads to the conclusion that, as a teacher, you must be very confusing to listen to.
Just what I need - a bright (know it all) student! I think you could go into my advanced group everyday at 7:30 am in the office...:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My kids currently have a Bristol accent (ooo-arrrr, similar to West Country) so frankly anything would be preferable!!! I'm hoping if they don't speak english with a spanish accent then they'll pick up a german or dutch one!! Whenever I've lived in OZ or NZ I've ended up with an antipodean twang, so maybe it's normal!

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
My kids currently have a Bristol accent (ooo-arrrr, similar to West Country) so frankly anything would be preferable!!! I'm hoping if they don't speak english with a spanish accent then they'll pick up a german or dutch one!! Whenever I've lived in OZ or NZ I've ended up with an antipodean twang, so maybe it's normal!
Ah a good ol' Brissol accent eh? Where the snow "pitches" and all sentences go up in the air???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.