Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago, I moved to Germany to study International Business at a German University (I speak fluent English and German).
I will be graduating next September 2017, and am REALLY hoping to find a job near my French boyfriend in Rouen. Naturally, I would also love to move to France to get more international experience in business and to improve my French (I speak about A1-A2 at the moment, but it's really difficult to learn the language in Germany).

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice for finding an English-speaking job (preferably) in France? Most of the jobs I've checked require fluent French. Of course, I will learn this when I am there! I want to so much... I assumed it would be easier in Paris since it's already an internationalized city? Or maybe I could find opportunities near the border of England?

Thank you to everyone who has read this! :)

·
Administrator
49,395 Posts
Not to discourage you, but we get this same question (in various forms) several times a year here on the forum.

In a nutshell, there really are no "English speaking jobs" to be had in France. The one big exception would be if you got a job with an international company and could arrange to get transferred to their French office or subsidiary. Those sorts of transfers, however, are usually limited to executive level managers (due, I suppose, to the cost of transfers).

You've also got another major obstacle to overcome and that's the "little" matter of a visa. If you were an EU national (let's forget about Brexit for the moment), with fluent English and German, but minimal French, the main issue would be "simply" that of finding a job (something that is never particularly "easy" here - even for French nationals). But as it is, if you have only your US citizenship, you would need to find a job where the employer could and would sponsor you for a visa - and that's a whole lot more difficult.

If you marry your French boyfriend, you will have a residence permit (carte de séjour) that allows you to work, solving one problem. However, if you check through some of the old threads here you'll see that even with "pretty good" French, it can be difficult for a foreign spouse of a French national to find work at the level of their qualifications (assuming they are foreign qualifications).

Have you considered looking for work in Germany, along the French border? (I'm assuming your German degree gives you some ability to job hunt in Germany.) That would give you a chance to get some business experience, and you could work on your French - at least weekends and vacations - when you come to France to see the bf. Try looking in Karlsruhe, or Saarbrucken - there are fast trains to Paris and on to Rouen. (And bf could come visit you in Germany, too.) Having both German and English is a big plus in Germany (that's how I got my jobs there), and it gives you time to work on the French, plus pick up a few years of business experience (much better than trying to find a job in France straight out of school).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... I did read some of the other similar posts. I was just hoping there might have been newer people in my situation (the posts I have read are already a few years old).

Since I am completing what is called Dual Studies, I am studying for my Bachelors on a University AND working in a German company. I will most likely have the ability to stay in my company after my studies, but I really wanted more experience in a larger, more international company. I didn't realize it was impossible to find a job in France... May I ask what you did? Did you know fluent French before moving to France?

I spoke to my boyfriend about finding a job in Basel maybe (they have many big English-speaking international companies, and it's already a plus that I speak fluent business German. Since Basel is on the border of France, maybe the company will also pay to have me take French lessons). His family also lives nearby. It's just temporarily a problem since he accepted a job in a city that is over 6 hours away (with car). It's entirely inconvenient, but it is his first job after completing his Masters. He needs to stay with this company for at least 2 more years to get work experience.

Thanks for your response. It's really disappointing to hear, but I assumed that answer. Hopefully in a few years he'll be able to find something closer to me :) Have a lovely evening!

Mary

·
Administrator
49,395 Posts
To work in Basel you'll need a visa for Switzerland, but yeah, sure. What about Luxembourg? There is still the visa issue, but German and English will get you far there if you can find a suitable job - and you'll have every reason to learn French, whether or not the company will pay (and they might).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You could try the university of Rouen and the numerous ESCs around Rouen as German/ English teacher? I used to work at the ESC Rouen and taught project management etc. I think they've toughened up on the qualifications required since I was there.

In the early 2000s the recruitment process for teaching (not managerial) jobs seemed to be more on personal contact and friendship that formal CV ,interview etc. Don't know if that's changed.

DejW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts