Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I have been a silent observer of this forum for a while and it has been immensely helpful!

Here's my situation - I have an Indian Bachelor of Engineering degree in Information Technology and an American Masters in Electrical & Computer Engineering (Major - Computer Engineering). All my work experience (~5.5 years) is closest to "Electronics Engineering" and hence I need to apply for a skills assessment to EA. ACS would have worked, if they didn't have the 2 year work requirement before declaring me "skilled". Now with EA, there are conflicting reports on the forum about how much importance they assign to the Bachelors and how much to the Masters/Work Experience/CPD (I have a bunch of publications in IEEE conferences and journals). I looked at my Bachelors transcripts and I'd say about 50-60% of the courses are relevant for electronics engineering. Most of my courses in my Masters are relevant.

I realize that nobody can answer specifically whether I'll get a positive outcome or not (The EA representatives themselves have been ambivalent about it), my question is this: Does the EA assessment include a separate line item for whether a degree is equivalent to an Australia bachelors degree? For instance, if EA decided to classify me as an Engineering Associate - which would make me "skilled" - could I still claim points for my Bachelors? In other words is the "Skill Level" they assign (Professional Engineer/Engineering Technologist/Engineering Associate) the only indication of the bachelors or does the letter, similar to ACS letters, have a separate line item for whether the degree is a Bachelors or not and then a separate line item for skill level?

Another question - if I cannot claimed points for my Bachelors based on an "Engineering Associate" classification, can I get my bachelors asses with ACS and use that to claim points for Bachelors since there isn't technically a requirement for the Bachelors to be "relevant" to the claimed ANZSCO?

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. Yes, there is a separate line. It goes like this:
Engineers Australia is pleased to advise that your qualification from the following institution:
Institution Completed/Awarded Date

meets the current requirement for the following occupation:
Occupational Classification ANZSCO Skill Level Occupation ANZSCO Code Date
Then next paragraph:
Highest Relevant Qualification
Your qualification obtained from the below institution has been assessed as comparable to the listed
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level for the purposes of awarding points under the General Skilled Migration points test:
Institution Completed / Awarded Date AQF Level

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since there wasn't much information available back when I asked this question, I figured I should update this thread for posterity.

I got my outcome today. As expected, the pointed out that I didn't have sufficient courses in electronics engineering, they assessed me with ANZSCO 233914 instead. My Bachelors degree was identified as being the basis for this assessment. Further they listed by Master's degree as the highest, closely related qualfication.

So for future reference, if you go the CDR route because you have changed fields - it is possible to get a positive outcome, but it will be for 233914, which is sort of a catch for all profiles that don't fit any of the other roles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts