Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of submitting my CDR to EA as Telecom Engr.

Can someone elaborate what exactly is required in Continuing Professional Development .. I am bit confused about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in process of submitting my CDR to EA as Telecom Engr.

Can someone elaborate what exactly is required in Continuing Professional Development .. I am bit confused about it.
Hay,

you are here too :) Well, i have a couple of sample CPDs with me. Let me email them to you

·
Registered
463 Posts
List any trainings/seminars you have attended after graduation, relevant books you have read, certifications acquired, etc. and you should be OK

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think i should post it here so that some1 else may get helped too. Here you go:
-----------------------------------------------------------

I obtained my degree of Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering, with communications as a major from XYZ University of Engineering and Technology, in October 2004. I have been registered as a professional engineer with Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).

After graduation, I joined XYZ Pvt. Ltd as an Engineer in CDMA department. XYZ had been awarded the 800K line WLL Project by client xxx. My main responsibilities were initially rolling out the BSS network in North region which included deployment of BTS and NEC transmission links. After the completion of the rollout phase I was assigned to perform operations and maintenance in North region which involved corrective maintenance and preventive maintenance. I also delivered training to fresh engineers and technical staff of xxx on the xxx’s equipment. (Jul 05 – Jul 07)

While serving in xxx, I got a better opportunity and joined xxx as a Transmission Engineer. I was responsible for the installation, commissioning, integration and supervision of BTS sites along with NEC transmission links. I successfully completed all the assigned projects within the awarded timelines. (Jul 07 – Aug 09)

Currently I am working as a Team Leader xxx Operations with xxx. I have carried out end to project management of Rollout & Expansion. All newly integrated sites in the network are cleared from defects and successfully handed over for operations and maintenance. I am also looking after the corrective and preventive maintenance of BSS network.

I have recently completed my Masters in Engineering Management from University of xxx. (CGPA 3.3,). During my M.Sc degree I presented a paper on “Impact of Poor Quality in Cellular Networks: a case study of cellular operators ”. The paper was selected for the presentation in 12th International QMOD and Toulon-Verona Conference on Quality and Service Sciences (ICQSS).

In addition to my engineering degree following short courses, trainings and workshops added a lot to my professional development.

1. CDMA (BSS) Technology training
2. Power Supply Training
3. NEC Pasolink NEO, PNMTj and C-Node
4. WIMAX Training
5. Anti-terrorism Course
6. Tower Safety Training
7. Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA): Methodology and Tools Overview
8. Electrostatic Discharge & Electrostatic Compatibility
9. Advance Implementation of BGP

----------------------------------------------------

I didn't find it very impressive but it has been positively approved by EA recently. I hope it will give you some idea of what you need to mention in your CPD.

Good Luck !

·
Banned
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It means I should go with the trainings/certifications that I have pursued after my bachelor`s degree - to update myself with telecom sector developments rite ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It means I should go with the trainings/certifications that I have pursued after my bachelor`s degree - to update myself with telecom sector developments rite ?
Absolutely Right

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think that a sample would suffice much. Anyways, you can send me a pm with your email id and I will try to send you the samples. One thing that I've observed is that the Engineers Australia isn't looking for something "impressive". They just want to make sure that you're an engineer and have done practical work as well as keeping yourself updated about the innovations in the industry. Just my two cents though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fellas, is it mandatory that i must limit my cpd to one page or i can extend it upto 2 pages

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fellas, is it mandatory that i must limit my cpd to one page or i can extend it upto 2 pages
it is mentioned in the guidelines that it should be limited to one paper.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I feel that one page is enough in terms of listing what are you actively doing to be up to date with happenings in technology advancement world and how you are and has been actively trying to improvise your skills and knowledge. In short, they want to see that you are curious George and not someone who gets up and goes to work and comes home to go back to the same desk without any goals or agenda of growth ....

Does it make sense?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I sent my CDR application to EA and was received on 25-Feb. After sending a follow up email last week, an assessing officer replied saying I need to give an employment proof and only SD is not enough (I have 12 years of exp and few companies have closed down), so I found the documents and sent him via email. Over the phone I was asked to send hard copies as well....

Question: The assessing officer has not replied my email or sent me a new one. No communication since .... Is it a good news? What's the normal trend at EA after asking for documents?

Absolutely Right

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello members,

Is it mandatory to provide a CPD or only 3 Career Episodes & a Summary Statement will do for applying with EA for assessment?

Br,
Ali

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dear friends,
I have recently been +ive accessed by EA. I had sent a short and crisp CPD.
I will put it in below for reference of all ........

regards,
kgd87.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTINUING PROFFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

My professional association has been with Heating, Ventilation and Air conditioning (HVAC) field.
I have always tried to keep myself up to date with new developments in this field.

1. References to literatures :

• Technical books on HVAC. e.g. Basics of Air Conditioning by P. Anath Narayan.
• Journals and articles published by ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers, ISHRAE ( Indian Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers) and other global bodies in this field. e.g. Cold Storage Basics by ISHRAE, Fundamentals of Refrigeration by ISHRAE
• HVAC manufacturer’s handbooks and product catalogues – e.g. Carrier Handbook, York product catalogue, Trane handbook.
• Operation and Maintenance manuals of HVAC products – e.g Trane, Blue Star, Danfoss
• Net surfing for understanding and solving technical queries, latest product information from competitors, technological advances.

2. Trainings Undertaken:

• HVAC system training course on Trane Intranet for employees.
• Classroom trainings on products and new offerings in HVAC field
a) “Trane BOOST” Training on understanding the customer requirement of retrofitting, system modification and requirement of upgrades in HVAC system in line with energy efficient solutions. Training was held at Mumbai, India on 11th and 12th April 2013.
b) “Services and Sales” Training to understand the new trends in Service offerings of Trane compared to the global service markets. Training was held at Gurgaon, India on 5th, 6th and 7th June 2013.

3. Seminars Attended :

a) “ACRESERV 2010” seminar held at Mumbai on 13th and 14th August 2010 focused on upcoming and latest trends in HVAC industry.
b) “ACRESERV 2011” seminar held at Mumbai on 16th and 17th of December 2011 dealt with upgrades and latest technology advances in HVAC service Industry.

4. Exhibitions and Conferences Attended :

a) “FM India Exhibition & Conference” organised by CII (Confederation of Indian Industries) between 19th and 21st Oct 2012 at Pune, India as an Exhibitor to display for Trane products and services.
Exhibition and conference focused on display and discussions on emerging trends in HVAC and Facility management markets.
b) HVAC product and solutions exhibition – “ACREX 2013” by ISHRAE (Indian Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers) between 7th and 9th March 2013 at Mumbai, India. The exhibition is the largest platform for HVAC products display and discussions in India.
The exhibition theme for 2013 was “Dedicated to an eco-friendly environment.”

Reactions: vhparekh

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hello members,

Is it mandatory to provide a CPD or only 3 Career Episodes & a Summary Statement will do for applying with EA for assessment?

Br,
Ali
Akash,

Yes, it is necessary to provide 3 career episodes, a summary statement and Continuing professional development to EA for receiving skills assessment.

The reasons for asking you to submit CPD is to check whether you consistently growing your professional skills and upgrading your core industry knowlegde to compete with other professionals in industry. Moreover, this is what most of the Australian employers looking forward.

To cut a long story short, It is required to offer all the above credentials for the outcome of your skills. Else, your skills may not be processed or negative outcome may be expected.

All the best,
Sathiya

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everyone,

I completed the career episodes & then started writing my summary statement. After completing the elements now I am filling in the last column "Paragraph in the Career Episode where the Element is Addressed" but I realize that I am getting a lot of repetition.
Just wanted to know that is it ok if the references repeat a lot of time in the summary statement against the elements that I have addressed in the career episodes?

Br,
Ali

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello friends!

I am an Electronics Engineer but only possess 6 months of closely-related experience so I am going for EA assessment but am not willing to claim any points for experience.

I want to know whether after completion of Career Episodes, Summary and CPD; if I apply for assessment, will I be asked to provide documentation proving my claims i.e. projects undertaken at work, seminars and conferences I have attended and/or the exhibitions I've been to.

I mean what if I undertook a project at work or attended a conference related to my qualification area for which I have no written proof.

Looking forward for any helpful response.
Regards,
Shahwani

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello friends! I am an Electronics Engineer but only possess 6 months of closely-related experience so I am going for EA assessment but am not willing to claim any points for experience. I want to know whether after completion of Career Episodes, Summary and CPD; if I apply for assessment, will I be asked to provide documentation proving my claims i.e. projects undertaken at work, seminars and conferences I have attended and/or the exhibitions I've been to. I mean what if I undertook a project at work or attended a conference related to my qualification area for which I have no written proof. Looking forward for any helpful response. Regards, Shahwani
Dear shahwani,

If your career episodes are based in your work experiance then you will have to submit your employer reference letter as well. But in this case your employer reference letter will not be considered for any points claim since it has just been 6 months however it will work as a proof for your career episodes. The point us you must submit a reference letter although its just 6 months

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dear shahwani,

If your career episodes are based in your work experiance then you will have to submit your employer reference letter as well. But in this case your employer reference letter will not be considered for any points claim since it has just been 6 months however it will work as a proof for your career episodes. The point us you must submit a reference letter although its just 6 months
and that reference letter must be written by my Manager/Supervisor substantiating whatever I have claimed in the career episode, along with his signatures, right ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts