Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am an Aeronautical Engineer (Avionics), aged 40 and having 15 years experience of working in Air Force. The nature of job in Air force had two distinct facets; one was management of engineering functions to include supervising maintenance done by technicians, planning and scheduling maintenance activities, arranging resources and documenting maintenance tasks. The other role was hardcore engineering maintenance by self which was maintenance of high tech equipment (above skill level of technicians), studying and analyzing engineering problems for identifying solutions, formulating and devising new processes to resolve technical issues and doing research for improving existing systems or designing new systems.

I have been doing above stated job functions during last fifteen years and now I want to process my case for skills assessment for immigrating to Australia. However I am faced with a question regarding under which category I should apply; Engineering Manager or Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. Both are on CSL and I feel that my experience would be good enough in either case. But I also have a feeling that Aircraft Maintenance Engineer would require some licenses (commercial) which I don't have. Therefore, I am inclined to submit the case for Engineering Manager assessment.

My request to all experienced members is "Is my inclination for Engineering Manager right or wrong?". Moreover, what chances do I have for positive assessment in this category? and can anybody guess chances of a decent job for a person having Air Force experience in commercial market in Australia?.

I will be obliged to all who can share their experience and wisdom on my queries.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Bari:

Which job are you doing more of (Manager or Engineer)? And what the more recent job. I think you have a good chance in either category and I know I always see Aircraft Maintenance job postings in the newspaper. How about contacting the AU airlines Engineering departments to get an idea of what their openings are.

The airlines are:
QANTAS
Virgin Blue

They can guide you to the licensing requirements and then you can check out the licensing agency for more detail.

Good luck :)

Hello

I am an Aeronautical Engineer (Avionics), aged 40 and having 15 years experience of working in Air Force. The nature of job in Air force had two distinct facets; one was management of engineering functions to include supervising maintenance done by technicians, planning and scheduling maintenance activities, arranging resources and documenting maintenance tasks. The other role was hardcore engineering maintenance by self which was maintenance of high tech equipment (above skill level of technicians), studying and analyzing engineering problems for identifying solutions, formulating and devising new processes to resolve technical issues and doing research for improving existing systems or designing new systems.

I have been doing above stated job functions during last fifteen years and now I want to process my case for skills assessment for immigrating to Australia. However I am faced with a question regarding under which category I should apply; Engineering Manager or Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. Both are on CSL and I feel that my experience would be good enough in either case. But I also have a feeling that Aircraft Maintenance Engineer would require some licenses (commercial) which I don't have. Therefore, I am inclined to submit the case for Engineering Manager assessment.

My request to all experienced members is "Is my inclination for Engineering Manager right or wrong?". Moreover, what chances do I have for positive assessment in this category? and can anybody guess chances of a decent job for a person having Air Force experience in commercial market in Australia?.

I will be obliged to all who can share their experience and wisdom on my queries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bari,

Im in the same boat mate....but contacted Quantas and they seem extremely interested! Alternatively, call BAe HR in Australia (I work for BAe now after 10 years in the mob) and they`ll snap you up all being well.

Hope al goes well, let me know how you get on!!

Regards,
Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts