Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
wondering if anyone knows when my chomage ends this month do I have to apply to the CAF for RSA or is it automatic. I am already in the system as they help with the rent. I have been refused the ASS as I only worked for 2 years here- full CDI but the company went bust. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi
wondering if anyone knows when my chomage ends this month do I have to apply to the CAF for RSA or is it automatic. I am already in the system as they help with the rent. I have been refused the ASS as I only worked for 2 years here- full CDI but the company went bust. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
It is not automatic, so you would certainly have to apply. Bear in mind that CAF has become much more severe in assessing applications (I've heard that the staff can be lovely, but they have been ordered in recent months to require a raft of information, even if they already have it, and that many applications for all sorts of assistance are being denied - even to French people who have always lived and worked in France) and that assessment is taking a long time. I have no idea what's going on, but that's been the recent experience of many people I know. Therefore I would suggest that you not delay in applying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply. I did a simulation and it looks like i would be eligible but I had to put the date as todays date not the actual date my chomage stops. dont think I can apply until the chomage has actually stopped

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi thanks for your reply. I did a simulation and it looks like i would be eligible but I had to put the date as todays date not the actual date my chomage stops. dont think I can apply until the chomage has actually stopped
I didn't mean apply now :) I meant don't delay once your chomage stops and you therefore become eligible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Yes i figured you meant wait till the chomage ends just wasn't sure if I could apply knowing the date it ends as I know nothing is really quick here.
I dont have a CDS as never thought I needed one- have known other Europeans who have applied and were refused - as it 'wasnt necessary'.
thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Do you have a titre de séjour?
Only your post, and what EH said about CAF becoming more difficult recently, reminded me of this thread from a short while back:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/fr...iving-france/1248969-caf-titre-de-sejour.html
- I see he never came back with an update. The thread stuck in my mind because I really felt for him, I hope he got it sorted.
Yes, whatever happened to Oleiros?
The CAF can suspend all payments or inscriptions until you produce a "carte de séjour/résident" or some kind of proof that your application has been accepted. Best plan ahead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have a titre de séjour?
Only your post, and what EH said about CAF becoming more difficult recently, reminded me of this thread from a short while back:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/fr...iving-france/1248969-caf-titre-de-sejour.html
- I see he never came back with an update. The thread stuck in my mind because I really felt for him, I hope he got it sorted.
Hi Eurotrash and members on this post

I'm still in France. It's been complicated but I certainly had a huge amount of help from the organisation La Cimade. They couldn't do anything about a CDS but with the Caf, they went through everything with a fine tooth comb, even going to head office in Paris for clarification.

It turns out that the Caf were indeed correct and even though I've lived here since 2010, during 2012, I wasn't able to work for most of the year and this created a gap in my five year residency because I didn't fulfil the conditions for the right to stay (550€ going into your bank account each month).

If I had received a family donation to cover this, it would have been ok but the fact that I received a loan, didn't count; it has to be a donation. They also told me that because of this, the Prefecture could refuse my CDS Permanent (I didn't apply for the EU one) because of this discrepancy. "Let's hope they don't see it", they said. So all rights were cut for me and I was about to leave France, when I got a job offer, which I'm currently doing, and all my rights have been re-instated, by declaring a 'change of situation' with the Caf. Apparently, you have to work a week or so at least and for a minimum of 20 hours per week, and rights are re-opened from the day you start work and they will close again, seven months after your contract finishes if you don't find another job. I have a contract until the end of October and I probably won't receive anything from the Caf but I declared a change of situation, to see if they did reinstate my rights and they did so immediately.

I'm still waiting to hear from the Prefecture for a CDS Permanent (since April), the last time I was there they told me I had to now wait for an interview but I didn't push too hard for the card (having no rights and risking a possible refusal) but now I have a job, I might give it another go next week.

The Maison de Justice et Droits have done absolutely nothing since my appointment with them on June 6, so that avenue wasn't very productive for me.

The other thing La Cimade told me,*was that after five years residency, one doesn't have to apply for a CDS EU, but a normal CDS Permanent and this lasts for 20 years. I was a bit surprised about this but I haven't done any research on it. The EU card expires after 10 years I know, but does any one else have any knowledge of this?

To prove to the prefecture that I had been present in France for five years without interruption, I just provided bank statements, showing that I had used my bank card, highlighting one instance for every three months, for five years.
It said on the form, that you could prove your continuous presence by any means.

It's good to be earning again, and this time, I'll be leaving 4000€ in my bank account, untouched. I'll check with La Cimade if I need to move this around a bit, to show the minimum going in but I always understood it to mean, 'have a least this amount in the bank'. But after my experience, I'm taking nothing for granted.

So, horror story over for me. And all worked out ok in the end: As it always seems to for most folk. Lesson learned and tell self not to worry too much about these things. There are more important things in life. Less fear and more persistence. That's my motto now.

Thank you for thinking of me.

Go very well all

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Thanks for coming back and sharing all this useful information, and it's great to know that determination pays off and you found a way through.
Bonne continuation :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Further info received from La Cimade ref the Caf and CDS

In quotes below; it refers to my case in particular but gives detailed information on the current regulations.

" je sais ce qu'est le droit au SEJOUR PERMANENT ,( qui peut être matérialisé par une 'carte de résident UE permanent'

mais cette matérialisation par une carte n'est pas obligatoire, le droit au séjour des ressortissants de l'UE existe indépendemment de la délivrance d'une cette carte)

Pour que ce droit soit établi ,

- dans le cas d'une personne dite "active" (c'est à dire soit salariée, soit demandeuse d'emploi après avoir perdu involonjtairement son emploi)

il faut que la personne puisse justifier de 5 ans de SEJOUR REGULIER en France SANS AUCUN TROU. (dans votre cas, vous êtes en séjour régulier dès que vous avez un emploi

ou pendant les 6 mois qui suivent la perte involontaire de cet emploi 6 mois pendant lesquels votre séjour régulier est MAINTENU

- dans le cas d'une personne "inactive", elle peut prouver être en SEJOUR REGULIER si elle réunit deux conditions

. avoir une couverture santé personnelle

. avoir des revenus mensuels équivalents à un RSA chaque mois (par exemple si vous avez 4 000 euros sur votre compte bancaire courant OU sur un compte épargne

(peu importe le compte) vous pouvez dire que cela correspond à environ 7 mois de revenus mensuels équivalents à un RSA

NB : dans le passé, ce qui a créé des trous dans votre "séjour régulier" c'est le fait qu'entre la fin de votre emploi une année donnée et le début de votre nouvel emploi

l'année d'après, il s'écoulait plus de 6 mois et donc le MAINTIEN de votre séjour régulier n'était plus assuré à la fin de ces 6 mois. C'est à ce moment là qu'il faut prouver

que pour chacun des mois qui suivent, vous pouvez disposer de ressources personnelles (des dons, ou de l'épargne) équivalentes au RSA (x fois le RSA pour x mois).

Je prends un exemple

si vous travaillez jusqu'e fin octobre 2017

- jusque fin octobre 2017 vous avez droit au séjour régulier (en tant que personne "active" car vous avez un emploi

-de début novembre 2017 à début mai 2018 ce droit est MAINTENU

- à partir du premier mai 2018 si vous n'avez pas d'épargne vous êtes en séjour IRREGULIER (ce qui crée un TROU dans votre parcours)

MAIS si vous avez une couverture santé personnelle ET si vous avez , par exemple 1 200 euros d'économies, vous pouvez dire que, pendant 2 mois, (jusqu'au 1 juillet 2018)

vous êtes en situation REGULIERE en tant que PERSONNE INACTIVE

cela dit il est plus facile de prouver la REGULARITE de votre situation en invoquant les régles concernant les personnes ACTIVES qu'en invoquant les règles concernant les personnes INACTIVES

voilà ce que je peux vous dire"

Go very well all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts