Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

This may sound paranoid, but your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the employment reference, as per ACS guidelines:

Employment references MUST contain an end date or the work episode will be assessed as not suitable.
 The term, “To Date” cannot be used as the end date of the employment reference.

My previous employment reference contains sentence:

This is to certify that <<my name>> was employed with <<my previous company name>> from 01 Sept 2000 to 20 Feb 2010 as Software Engineer. Notice "to".

Now, their guidelines clearly state that the term "To Date" can not be used. Moreover their sample letter formats used the below sentence:

This is to certify that Mr Bob was an employee of the Australian Computer Society and was employed from Jan 1st, 2000 until Dec 1st, 2008.

Do I have cause to concern or will my "To" not be an issue as its from previous employer (and not the current employer).

Your advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear All,

This may sound paranoid, but your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the employment reference, as per ACS guidelines:

Employment references MUST contain an end date or the work episode will be assessed as not suitable.
 The term, “To Date” cannot be used as the end date of the employment reference.

My previous employment reference contains sentence:

This is to certify that <<my name>> was employed with <<my previous company name>> from 01 Sept 2000 to 20 Feb 2010 as Software Engineer. Notice "to".

Now, their guidelines clearly state that the term "To Date" can not be used. Moreover their sample letter formats used the below sentence:

This is to certify that Mr Bob was an employee of the Australian Computer Society and was employed from Jan 1st, 2000 until Dec 1st, 2008.

Do I have cause to concern or will my "To" not be an issue as its from previous employer (and not the current employer).

Your advice will be much appreciated.
I dint look in to such minute things, just cross checked with mine.

This is to certify that Mr.XXX was working with YYY as Full time Software Engineer From dd/mm/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy.

I dind not have any issue so should you..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was quick; thank you Vistad90!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
They are talking about the term "to date". I too was confused initially about this statement, but I came to realize that what they really mean is: your letter should not mention something like:
This is to certify that Mr Bob was an employee of the Australian Computer Society and is employed from Jan 1st, 2000 to date
or this:
This is to certify that Mr Bob is an employee of the Australian Computer Society and is employed from Jan 1st, 2000 to current

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts