Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I will be in Lyon from November '12 until approximately March '13 on a working holiday visa. Does anyone have any advice about which field of employment I'd have the best luck finding a job in?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I can speak French to a good level (and read and write to an even higher one). I have a Bachelor in French and will complete a graduate diploma in Economics this year. I would like to work in the business strategy area although I'm aware I have a lot of things going against me. Do you know any good websites that will help me out?

·
Administrator
49,986 Posts
We've had a couple of folks through here lately on WHV who have reported some significant problems finding work. One issue appears to be that regular employers are unsure of the legalities of hiring those on WHVs, particularly hiring foreigners for short-term jobs.

There is a big difference in France between CDI and CDD employment, and normally foreigners aren't eligible to work CDDs (contrat duration determiné - or short-term employment). You may find that the tourist trade folks are more accommodating simply because they make greater use of WHV workers for work that is largely seasonal.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about indefinite work? Given the unemployment rate in most of Europe it must be quite challenging? I wouldn't call myself unskilled but I don't have much experience in the commercial world.

·
Administrator
49,986 Posts
What about indefinite work? Given the unemployment rate in most of Europe it must be quite challenging? I wouldn't call myself unskilled but I don't have much experience in the commercial world.
CDIs are highly prized and definitely hard to get, especially for those just out of school. It's unlikely someone on a WHV would be offered a CDI job/contract simply because of the limitations on their visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided I'm going to go for just a few months now. I imagine hospitality would the place to look? I have experience in the industry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.