Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take some clarification about financial requirement,last time when I got my visa my husband was working in his father's shop so we provided 6 months paperwork,now I heard that if we want to apply extension we should show 12 months paperwork cause my husband is employed in his father's shop,is it true?I would like to clear that my father in laws business Is sole trader business and he employee staff,it's not a limited company

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you are applying for a spouse visa extension under Category A, you submit 6 months pay slips, 6 months bank statements , employment letter and P60 copy. That's it. Not 12 months.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for ur reply,can any one please explain that what documents r required for the employment in specified type of ltd company,and what documents r required for employment in a relatives sole trader business in uk?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
As he was working in the same job when you did your first application, you provide the documentation you provided then.

If he is an employee then what type of business it is is irrelevant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply,my curiosity is because when I applied there is change in guidance this year.they have added word employee with director,
Where a person is either a director or employee of a limited company in the UK, or both
and receives a salary from that company, that salaried income can be counted under
Category A or Category B, provided that the limited company is not of a type specified in
paragraph 9(a) of Appendix FM-SE (i.e. it is not in sole or limited family ownership).
Evidence of the type of company must be provided, which can include the latest Annual
Return filed at Companies House. A fee paid to a person appointed as a non-executive
director of a company (and this is not a limited company in the UK of the type specified
in paragraph 9(a) of Appendix FM-SE) instead of a salary may be treated and evidenced
as though it were a salary paid for employment in that capacity

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand after reading the guidance that from 2017 employee of specified type of ltd company will be treated as self-employed and will have to submit company tax return etc,kindly correct me if I m wrong.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Thanks for reply,my curiosity is because when I applied there is change in guidance this year.they have added word employee with director,
Where a person is either a director or employee of a limited company in the UK, or both
and receives a salary from that company, that salaried income can be counted under
Category A or Category B, provided that the limited company is not of a type specified in
paragraph 9(a) of Appendix FM-SE (i.e. it is not in sole or limited family ownership).
Evidence of the type of company must be provided, which can include the latest Annual
Return filed at Companies House. A fee paid to a person appointed as a non-executive
director of a company (and this is not a limited company in the UK of the type specified
in paragraph 9(a) of Appendix FM-SE) instead of a salary may be treated and evidenced
as though it were a salary paid for employment in that capacity
So, he is not just an employee, he is a director of the company.

You have already quoted from Appendix FM-SE which details what is required for such employment.

Follow the instructions as to what documentation to send in this situation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No he is employee not director.and the guidance is for employee or director of ltd company,but the business in which he is working is a sole trader business.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
So why are you asking about employee/director of a limited company if the applicant is only an employee? (and employee of sole trader business?)

If he is only an employee then he needs to show payslips, bank statements and a P60 (if available)

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, he is not just an employee, he is a director of the company.

You have already quoted from Appendix FM-SE which details what is required for such employment.

Follow the instructions as to what documentation to send in this situation.
It seems to me also that the wording is ambiguous. But it does seem to imply that if the sponsor is employed in a family business, either as a director OR as an employee, then he cannot use the salaried employment route. Am I reading it wrong too, and if so, why ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It does seem that the guidance was changed, in the last amendment to Appendix FM 1.7, to read as the OP says. It previously only said "director", and now says "director or employee. There must be a reason for that ?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
It does seem that the guidance was changed, in the last amendment to Appendix FM 1.7, to read as the OP says. It previously only said "director", and now says "director or employee. There must be a reason for that ?
If a company comes under the description of Specified Limited company as per paragraph 9.8 of Appendix FM 1.7 and Paragraph 9 of Appendix FM-SE then, yes, a director, director/employee or employee only of such a company cannot apply under Cat A or B but has to apply under Cat F or G

A Specified Limited Company has very distinctive criteria with regard its ownership, shares, and share distribution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If a company comes under the description of Specified Limited company as per paragraph 9.8 of Appendix FM 1.7 and Paragraph 9 of Appendix FM-SE then, yes, a director, director/employee or employee only of such a company cannot apply under Cat A or B but has to apply under Cat F or G

A Specified Limited Company has very distinctive criteria with regard its ownership, shares, and share distribution.
That is actually a massive change ? Sponsors must now provide evidence that they don't work for a company owned by a relative, unless it has more than 5 shareholders ? To quote - Evidence of the type of company must be provided ?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
That is actually a massive change ? Sponsors must now provide evidence that they don't work for a company owned by a relative, unless it has more than 5 shareholders ? To quote - Evidence of the type of company must be provided ?
Yes, sponsors must now provide evidence.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But if the business is not a limited company and its sole trader business of relative and a person is working as employee than what r requirements,offcource I can not provide company tax return because its not a company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will definatley be refused on these grounds just as I have just this morning. I have been searching for something like this on forums and have just come across this issue now. It was not something I saw in most cases at all so I am assuming it is a recent change. Apparently you do have to provide a vast amount of evidence if you're employed and your circumstances you are related to the director of the company. The weird thing is out of a long list of requirements they wanted they only wrote the basis of refusal on two documents

EC-P.1.1(d)- diviends vouchers and bank statements showing these diviends..i have absolutely no idea what they're referring to as I don't receive any share from the business and am only an employee

If anyone has further information, it would be greatly welcomed

·
Registered
45 Posts
You will definatley be refused on these grounds just as I have just this morning. I have been searching for something like this on forums and have just come across this issue now. It was not something I saw in most cases at all so I am assuming it is a recent change. Apparently you do have to provide a vast amount of evidence if you're employed and your circumstances you are related to the director of the company. The weird thing is out of a long list of requirements they wanted they only wrote the basis of refusal on two documents

EC-P.1.1(d)- diviends vouchers and bank statements showing these diviends..i have absolutely no idea what they're referring to as I don't receive any share from the business and am only an employee

If anyone has further information, it would be greatly welcomed
They are saying that you cannot be treated as a salaried employee (Category A or B). Maybe you will need to become a shareholder in the family business, then qualify on dividends (of at least 18,600 GBP) with bank statements showing the dividends paid into your personal bank account. You could then qualify with non-employment income.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can i ask what is the structure of ur business?is it a limited company?cause change inn rule apply to director or employee of limited company?our business structure is soletrader my sister recently got visa as an employee.we explained in a covering letter about business structure as solicitor advised us.it was same day appointment flrm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If business structure is not a limited company thn u can successfully appeal about this.cause if u do some research on business structure u will came to know that sole trader partnership and limited company r totally different structure company pay tax by Ct600 which is one of required document.for employee of limited company.sole trader business or partnership pay tax by self assesment.in financial requirement guidance its clearly stated director or employee of limited company.hope it helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.