Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

I could really do with finding out if ESA counts. Last year I broke my neck while living in Russia with my wife and 1 year old child. I was flown to the UK for treatment. My wife has been here on a family visit visa. We applied here for leave to remain but they insisted she apply from russia.

any help would be really appreciated

thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You as a British national is fully entitled to receive ESA, and it won't affect your wife's spouse visa application. Where you want to apply for a benefit or tax credit that has to be applied jointly, once your wife is UK on a visa, you just have to declare that she is subject to immigration control and they will work out your entitlement accordingly. In this case she won't be accessing public funds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I don't receive any income apart from my benefits. I get higher rate DLA and ESA. As I understand I dont need to meet the financial requirement.

From what I can tell my dla will count, but I wanted to know if my esa will too?

thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, all benefits and allowances can be added together to meet the maintenance requirement. As you have a child, you need £194.94 a week left when housing cost and council tax are taken away, and if the benefits fully cover them, just your combined income must be a shade under £200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My housing cost is completely covered by housing benefit.

I receive £829.60 p/month dla and esa combined.

Would this mean im in the clear?

thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, £829.60 a month is £191.44 a week, so you are almost there. If you have any savings,
£455 should cover the shortfall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much savings should I have, I only have a couple of thousand? My wife also has around 5000. I read somewhere about needing 16,000 for them to consider savings?

thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Minimum of £16k only applies to those subject to financial requirement. For maintenance requirement there is no stipulation, but I tend to work on a principle that the weekly shortfall should be covered for a period of 2.5 years by savings, the length of the initial visa. I think you have more than enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi joppa,

for some reason my lawyer has been working out that i need to have 239.44 left per week. He said he's got this figure from adding up couple+child+premiums disability couple+premiums family. Could you shed any light on this, is he correct?

thanks

Rich

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Please don't come back here if you being professionally advised. You are paying them to answer all your queries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.