Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My friend has asked me a question and I decided to post it here.

He has a valid ACS assessment which is about to expire. His assessment is the old version when ACS didn't deduct work experience. He didn't have any work experience at that time. Now he has worked 1 year in an Australian company. His question is whether he can apply for 189 visa and get 5 points from his Australian work experience or he has to reapply for ACS assessment to assess his work experience?

If ACS re-assess him and deduct his 1 year work experience, he will end up with 55 points and wont be able to apply for 189 visa.

I appreciate if you could help. Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
How soon will his ACS result expire? It has to be valid at the time of invitation, which might limit the practicality of this idea. But yes, he can use the old ACS letter while it is valid... although personally, I would not dare to apply without an ACS re-assessment if I want to claim points for work experience. Can he potentially push his IELTS score?

Re-assessment: If he get's re-assessed by ACS, they will deduct at least two years of work experience if he only has an overseas education. If he studied in Australia, he can go for a Post Australian Study Skills Assessment, which allows him to keep the work experience for claiming points :): To quote from the guidelines:

The skill level requirement date for the Post Australian Study Skills Assessment will be noted as the completion date of the relevant Australian degree. Suitable employment completed after the completion date of the relevant Australian degree will be eligible for points under the skilled migration points test

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey guys,

My friend has asked me a question and I decided to post it here.

He has a valid ACS assessment which is about to expire. His assessment is the old version when ACS didn't deduct work experience. He didn't have any work experience at that time. Now he has worked 1 year in an Australian company. His question is whether he can apply for 189 visa and get 5 points from his Australian work experience or he has to reapply for ACS assessment to assess his work experience?

If ACS re-assess him and deduct his 1 year work experience, he will end up with 55 points and wont be able to apply for 189 visa.

I appreciate if you could help. Cheers
If he did not study in Australia the he has issues when applying for an ACS reassessment. Under the new criteria they deduct a minimum of 2 years of experience. He does not have 2 years of experience to deduct.

My advice - get it done asap before it runs out. Try and improve IELTS of get state sponsorship 5 points rather than claim work exp as it was not assessed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How soon will his ACS result expire? It has to be valid at the time of invitation, which might limit the practicality of this idea. But yes, he can use the old ACS letter while it is valid... although personally, I would not dare to apply without an ACS re-assessment if I want to claim points for work experience. Can he potentially push his IELTS score?

Re-assessment: If he get's re-assessed by ACS, they will deduct at two years of work experience if he only has an overseas education. If he studied in Australia, he can go for a Post Australian Study Skills Assessment, which allows him to keep the work experience for claiming points :): To quote from the guidelines:
His ACS result will expire at the end of August. And he's got his master degree in Australia. So the best option for him would be to get the Post Australian Study Skills re-assessment and then submit his EOI and claim points for his work experience, right?

Reactions: espresso

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, ACS re-assessment seems to be the best path in that case. He'll get to keep his year of work experience too. Lucky guy ;).
Thanks Monika!

Yeah, he's really lucky and couldn't believe it when I passed the good news on to him! :)), I feel jealous having lost 5 years of my work experience as a result of ACS new assessment rules!! :( ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts