Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me the difference between an Nominated (ENS) and a Sponsored Visa (which is usually a 457).

The very fact that there are two 'terms' tells me there must be a difference of some sort.
Is it a case of when you are Sponsored, the employer pays on the visa fees and costs etc., but when you are Nominated for a position that you yourself are liable for the visa fee and costs?

I really hope there is someone on the site who will take the time to answer my question and puzzlement.

J.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yes, the two terms do get a bit confusing. For a 457 visa, the employer must first be approved as a Standard Business Sponsor. They can then nominate the position/applicant for a visa. For a 186 visa, the employer submits a nomination.

Mostly the two terms can be used interchangeably except for clarifying this first step in the 457. So sometimes people will refer to you needing to find a sponsor, or saying that their employer will sponsor them for a PR visa. The actual term of the employer's application though is a nomination.

Not sure if that clarifying things or makes it more confusing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts