Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of days ago I have requested my employer that I require a letter from them to prove my employment, I have explained to the manager the 4 points that needs to be stated required by ukba.

3 points they said they would cover are.
name of employee and permanent position.
length of employment.
gross annual income. Non salaried.
they will only state contracted annual income.

I have been in this job for 7 months.
So I told them to take my average income of last 6 months with overtime and multiply by 12.= salary I'm relying on.

Basically they won't put the salary I'm relying on.

Would this be a big issue.
Letter is gonna be on company letter head

I couldn't sleep thinking of this.

Any help would be appreciated. .

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It's difficult for them to do as your are non-salaried and your pay fluctuates. Unless you get guaranteed overtime or something, they can't really state what your income is going to be. So what they will provide should be sufficient.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Joppa. But my employer did say they will attach my payslips with the letter. And a note on the P60, to explain that P60 only reflects the Dec - Mar payments. Would that be any help.

So once again for reassurance from Joppa, they will state.
name of employee
Gross annual income.
Length of employment
permanent position.
And if I'm lucky they might say I'm entitled to overtime.

Would these be sufficient?
Incase you want to know I work for tesco superstore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's difficult for them to do as your are non-salaried and your pay fluctuates. Unless you get guaranteed overtime or something, they can't really state what your income is going to be. So what they will provide should be sufficient.
Hello Joppa.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to ask you about the highlighted part.
Do you mean that stating the salary by summing the last 6 months income, divide by six and multiply by 12 is sufficient? Or do you mean taking the current income and multiplying by 52 is sufficient?

Although we've already submitted our documents, I'm asking this for peace of mind. When writing my employer letter I had a discussion with my employer about how to calculate my salary. He wanted to multiply my current weekly income by 52, but I told him the rule is to add up the last 26 weeks, divide by 6 and multiply by 12. This was mainly because my income fluctuated during two weeks, and increased slightly after the new tax year. So is it fine that we have calculated my salary based on my income from the last 26 weeks, rather than using only my current rate?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least your employer was understanding your situation and willing to corporate. Mine however were saying home office might do a check on them. And they'd get in trouble for using wrong calculation.

I explained to them home office wants us to use that calculation because I'm not salaried, but couldn't convince them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
At least your employer was understanding your situation and willing to corporate. Mine however were saying home office might do a check on them. And they'd get in trouble for using wrong calculation.

I explained to them home office wants us to use that calculation because I'm not salaried, but couldn't convince them.
It took me some time to convince my employer. What I also did is include an A4 paper showing how we calculated my salary. I thought it could be useful doing that. Might be worth considering.

·
Registered
532 Posts
xhuntaar i work for asda and its the same with them. I asked my manager to do that but they said they would get in trouble however they wrote a letter stating permanent employment hourly rate contracted hours and the date i started they didnt write a date ( is that an issue?)

i was hoping to apply for a job in tesco i heard they pay better. i work nights and i recieve £8.93 whats the hourly rate over there if you dont mind me asking

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really find it confusing that the employer says he could get into trouble for calculating someone's salary based on the rules stated. After all, couldn't the ECO just phone the employer to confirm things?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
They sometimes do but can just as likely reject your application if the employment letter isn't clear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do both days and nights shift asad. Days I get £7.21 hour and night I get £9.90hour.
I work on checkout.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also going to send my job contract. Which states how many hours I'm contracted and hourly pay.
I agree with you babylon how could they get into trouble when they have permission to use that calculation by ukba?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Asad I think you should get them to print off another copy with the date on. As nyclon said earlier it should not be older than 28 days. If there's no date, you can't prove it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They sometimes do but can just as likely reject your application if the employment letter isn't clear.
Would you say providing an A4 with the way the salary is calculated gives more clarity? The A4 was written by me and just shows how we arrived at my annual salary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question for Joppa.
Do you think if I explain this situation to the ECO on my introduction letter. Would he/she consider this as the employer not willing to provide some details?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I always suggest attaching a sheet setting out how you've calculated your annual income.
You can attach a note to the employer's letter that they have refused to elaborate on certain points given in guidance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Joppa I definitely would attach a note. And give my own calculation with it.

Much appreciated thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.