Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have just got back from australia and loved it. I was staying with my mum and she has asked me to move over there but we have some major problems which i would need advice on.

My mum is 73 years of age, she is married to a new husband of ten years and they are both residents of australia.

My mum wants to sponsor me and my husband and my daughter to move to australia to be near her and look after her.

My age is 53, my husband is 39 and my daughter is 16 and my mum is 73 and her husband is 63 years old.

we do not have any skills that we could come over to australia with and there fore my mum has said she wants to sponsor us but we are finding the information that she has been told is incorrect.

she has been told that because she is my only living parent as my dad died, although i have two brothers and one sister in the uk, that she can sponsor me and my husband and daughter to live in oz to look after her and her husband and they would support us for two years as per the forms.

But we have been told that this is not the case and we are to old and that she cannot sponsor us because we have no skills.

can anyone please let us know if this is true and which way we could emirgate to australia to look after my mum and she is now broken hearted at the information we have been told by a few people and we are waiting to speak to australia house on monday.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi HD Plus:

Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do is contact a migration agent to see what available options there are. From the description below I think your mother is thinking of the carer visa.

Carer Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 116)

However this visa requires that your mother have some medical condition that requires a carer present. If that is not the case then this visa is not something you can get.

Other than that, your husband could still apply for a skilled visa, but as you said you don't have skills to come over. This point I would really discuss with an agent because your husband might actually have skills (i.e. a needed trade or similar in Australia). If that is the case then his application as an Independent skilled visa applicant might succeed (175/176 visa). He could have you and your child on the application also.

Note many people will say there are options, but getting professional advice is the best way to be sure.

Good luck and post questions on the forum :)

Hi everyone.

I have just got back from australia and loved it. I was staying with my mum and she has asked me to move over there but we have some major problems which i would need advice on.

My mum is 73 years of age, she is married to a new husband of ten years and they are both residents of australia.

My mum wants to sponsor me and my husband and my daughter to move to australia to be near her and look after her.

My age is 53, my husband is 39 and my daughter is 16 and my mum is 73 and her husband is 63 years old.

we do not have any skills that we could come over to australia with and there fore my mum has said she wants to sponsor us but we are finding the information that she has been told is incorrect.

she has been told that because she is my only living parent as my dad died, although i have two brothers and one sister in the uk, that she can sponsor me and my husband and daughter to live in oz to look after her and her husband and they would support us for two years as per the forms.

But we have been told that this is not the case and we are to old and that she cannot sponsor us because we have no skills.

can anyone please let us know if this is true and which way we could emirgate to australia to look after my mum and she is now broken hearted at the information we have been told by a few people and we are waiting to speak to australia house on monday.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
compassionate grounds

Can anyone tell me if you have heard anything about applying for a visa on compassionate grounds as i have just had a relative from australia phone me and they have spoken to australia house in australia who have said we could apply on compassionate grounds but i have not heard of this.

They have explained the situation and that we do not fall into any other area and have said that yes my mother in law who is 73 is unwell, but the 116 visa is a grey area that basically says that you can only get this visa if you can prove that no organisation can care for my mother in law like we could so we have been told we would not get the 116.

I have spoken to migration agents in australia who have said that we do not fall into any other area but this was before the compassionate grounds that we have been told about.

I am going to speak to british migration experts tomorrow and see what info they can give us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts