Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I will be emigrating to Melbourne. Both excited and slightly nervous at all the stuff will have to sort when I get out there.

I thought I would share some of my experiences and a few tips so far:

You will probably change your mind several times after being granted the visa - I know we did! But in the end we decided we would regret not taking the opportunity - if you really dont like it you can always come back.
Emigration will upset your family :(
As soon as you have an Oz address put this on your CV. I didnt get any replies until I did this
My initial experiences of the job application process is that it seems to take longer - employment agents seem to want to interview you before they even pass details on to clients (they actually seem to do something for their money in oz </end of rant>)

All the best for anyone else in application process

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
wish u luck mac. keep us posted.. u made the right decision.

cheers
anj

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Tomorrow I will be emigrating to Melbourne. Both excited and slightly nervous at all the stuff will have to sort when I get out there.

You will probably change your mind several times after being granted the visa - I know we did! But in the end we decided we would regret not taking the opportunity - if you really dont like it you can always come back.
As soon as you have an Oz address put this on your CV. I didnt get any replies until I did this
My initial experiences of the job application process is that it seems to take longer - employment agents seem to want to interview you before they even pass details on to clients (they actually seem to do something for their money in oz </end of rant>)

Don't fret - Official stats are that job seekers are waiting 8-9 weeks to be employed. You're coming at the right time.... Spring is on the way. - Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck

Just wanted to wish you all the best with the move and a safe journey. We emigrated to Perth just last Tuesday 31st August - staying with family at the moment. Bit stressful at the moment as trying to get all necessary docs in place like licence medicare car - I'm a teacher too so need police check working with children check etc and the amount of documentation needed is sometimes unreal but have a daily list and trying to do one or two of these things a day aswell as looking for jobs!! Once you get the goodbyes out of the way you can look forward to it!
gina

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

best of luck mate...hope u wll find melbourne very nice...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Gina

I am emigrating to Brisbane on the 21st. I had a police check done for my visa and asked for two copies, will I need to get another one done do you think before I can register as a teacher? Many thanks

Sarah

Just wanted to wish you all the best with the move and a safe journey. We emigrated to Perth just last Tuesday 31st August - staying with family at the moment. Bit stressful at the moment as trying to get all necessary docs in place like licence medicare car - I'm a teacher too so need police check working with children check etc and the amount of documentation needed is sometimes unreal but have a daily list and trying to do one or two of these things a day aswell as looking for jobs!! Once you get the goodbyes out of the way you can look forward to it!
gina

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is an useful tip and thanks for that. All the best with your journey.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Gina

I am emigrating to Brisbane on the 21st. I had a police check done for my visa and asked for two copies, will I need to get another one done do you think before I can register as a teacher? Many thanks

Sarah
Hi Gina,

I'm assuming that's a police check done in the country that you're moving from? You'll also need to have one done in Australia too even if you've only been here a short while.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Gina

Sarah
I have been told that here in Western Australia any police certificate only valid for 3 months anyway but this isn't for UK police check - a relief job I applied for told me would also have to apply for a western australia police check too even though have only been in country for 5 days!! I applied for my WA teacher registration number too before I came out and thought had covered everything but have now been told that in order to work in a goverment school I need my qualifications to be WA assessed which involves filling out another long form and providing more docs and also need toapply for a WA education ID number which is another form and more docs!! so bring everything with you and do as much as you can before you come out!
gina

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck to the others that are moving soon.

Well have been here 1.5 day now and Australia is a great place that I cant wait to explore, so much to do and see and people seem very positive. I like the openess and bluntness of the Australians. People seem pretty friendly and eager to help.

Thoughts:
Seeing my mother get upset at airport was horrible and low point in experience so far :(
Ideally move at same time as spouse - my wife is moving in 3 weeks it would have been better to have support of another as migration is a HUGE change
Qantas premium economy is excellent - I had seat that turned into almost flat bed and loads of space/leg room
Arriving late is a good idea (I arrived 8pm) and helps sleep adjust (It is 9.40pm oz time as I write this and although dont feel 100% not too bad)
Sorted out medicare - this is soo easy and took like 30 seconds to do (anything like this in UK takes ages and involves complex forms)
Got mobile (you probably have trouble getting contract without job so I opted for voucher)
Got 3g internet card (pretty cheap and needed for job search/applications)
Registered for tax number (takes 5 min online)
Had an interview with agent today and had technical test sprung on me - note ideally dont do technical tests when suffering jet lag..
Job interviews/process is longer and more detailed. For IT jobs expect to do questions/problems before you even get to see client - brush up on the foundations and typical questions
Take it easy and book stuff to remind you how great Oz is and why you moved here - at weekend I am going to see 12 apostles :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts