Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm moving to Texas this week, i was wondering if i'd have a problem with my prescription medications, i've been given 2-3 months worth until i find a doctor in the US. Is there a limit on what i can carry in? I'm leaving on Thursday, any help will be appreciated. Many thanks.

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Technically, if it's for personal use it should be ok. But I'd carry some sort of prescription form or note from your doctor, just in case that's the suitcase they decide to open and check.

I do know of one Swedish guy who came over to the US for a year's assignment. He was taking an anti-cholesterol drug that came in little unmarked packets of white powder (that he dissolved in orange juice to take). Because this particular medication wasn't available in the US, his doctor gave him a full year's supply, which filled an entire suitcase.

He was really sweating things on arrival, because he was sure they'd ask him to open that particular suitcase... however they didn't.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Bev, the bottles will all have my Docs name and number on them, i wont be able to get a letter as its a bit short notice. It is for personal use so hopefully it'll be ok. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Sharon

Technically, if it's for personal use it should be ok. But I'd carry some sort of prescription form or note from your doctor, just in case that's the suitcase they decide to open and check.

I do know of one Swedish guy who came over to the US for a year's assignment. He was taking an anti-cholesterol drug that came in little unmarked packets of white powder (that he dissolved in orange juice to take). Because this particular medication wasn't available in the US, his doctor gave him a full year's supply, which filled an entire suitcase.

He was really sweating things on arrival, because he was sure they'd ask him to open that particular suitcase... however they didn't.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
273 Posts
Don't let the F-ed up US Government scare you. The reason they don't want you to bring in imported medication is that one of the business' that "own" the USA and our Government is the Pharma industry and they'd rather have you pay for the 10x more expensive US versions (probably made in China and full of Lead) than the reasonably priced Euro/Asia/Canada/Mexico/Central and South America versions. Believe me, I know ALL about it, I 've bought the EXACT same medicine (Antibiotic Erythromycin 333mg here and in France. Costs 5 to 10 times more in the USA). My Brother-in-law is a Pharmacist, he's told me stories that would make your head spin, the greed and ripping off are UNBELIEVABLE (he's working on changing professions - the whole system makes him sick). Welcome to dazzling and spellbinding America and bring a suitcase full of money for your meds, you're gonna need it (real life example - my friend's aunt filled a prescription last week of 90 Xanax and 30 Ambien (sleeping pill). She lost her job so no longer has her health care - no discount, no health care coverage. Cost of the non generic prescription? Over $300.00 (Three HUNDRED Dollars, what is that, about 225.00 Euro's? Somewhere around there - just checked official, 221.00 Euro, wow, what a math genius old Zoomer is - lol)....... What a deal !!! Money never sleeps...... God bless America, Zoom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the advice Bev, the bottles will all have my Docs name and number on them, i wont be able to get a letter as its a bit short notice. It is for personal use so hopefully it'll be ok. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Sharon
My wife just brought six months worth through Sharon with no problems.

We also brought two months of heart meds for our dog!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts