Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have joined here in the hope that someone can point my husband and I in the right direction.
We have been thinking for a while now about making the move but just recently we have seriously been looking into the possibilities of making it real.
The problem we are having is that we really don't know where to start!
So many websites say so many different things that it has left us a little confused!

Our current position at the moment is that we are both employed although my husband has just heard he is to be made redundant and this is effective as of May 2010. He is a Transport Manager. I am currently employed by the Ambulance Service as a Patient Transport Assistant.
We have 2 children who are 5 and 8 (boy and girl)
We also have a dog (staffordshire Bull Terrier) and a cat who we would like to bring over with us. The reason I mention this is that I am aware that in some places Staffies are deemed as dangerous dogs.
We are going to an emigrate roadshow in London next month to see if we can get any help with our research too, what would be the key things that anyone would suggest we sniff out first?

I hope I haven't babbled on too much and that someone can get us onto the right path.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi all,

I have joined here in the hope that someone can point my husband and I in the right direction.
We have been thinking for a while now about making the move but just recently we have seriously been looking into the possibilities of making it real.
The problem we are having is that we really don't know where to start!
So many websites say so many different things that it has left us a little confused!

Our current position at the moment is that we are both employed although my husband has just heard he is to be made redundant and this is effective as of May 2010. He is a Transport Manager. I am currently employed by the Ambulance Service as a Patient Transport Assistant.
Immigration to Canada is based on either having a skill/occupation that Canadian Gov't considers essential. Neither of your occupations fall into that category, or finding pre-arranged employment before you apply. This entails finding an employer willing to apply to the Gov't for permission to hire you.
We have 2 children who are 5 and 8 (boy and girl)
We also have a dog (staffordshire Bull Terrier) and a cat who we would like to bring over with us. The reason I mention this is that I am aware that in some places Staffies are deemed as dangerous dogs.
You can bring your animals. The dogs that are banned are pitbulls and as long as you can prove yours is a purebreed staffie you should e okay.
We are going to an emigrate roadshow in London next month to see if we can get any help with our research too, what would be the key things that anyone would suggest we sniff out first?
My recommendation is to watch out for the slick merchants at these shows. There will be consultants touting their ability to get you employment and a visa for a LARGE upfront fee. Be diligent if you choose one.

I hope I haven't babbled on too much and that someone can get us onto the right path.

Cheers :)
Good Luck,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Luck,
Thankyou very much for your information. I do feel quite vunerable looking and searching for information as there are so many websites and companies offering their services. We will go to this roadshow but will heed your warning of anyone 'smooth'.
My husband is obviously looking for more work in this country too so hopefully he will finish in May and start a new job more or less straight away. If this does happen we have discussed using some of his redundancy money to fund a fact finding trip over to Canada. Which areas would you reccomend?
Thanks again for your help.
Lu

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thankyou very much for your information. I do feel quite vunerable looking and searching for information as there are so many websites and companies offering their services. We will go to this roadshow but will heed your warning of anyone 'smooth'.
My husband is obviously looking for more work in this country too so hopefully he will finish in May and start a new job more or less straight away. If this does happen we have discussed using some of his redundancy money to fund a fact finding trip over to Canada. Which areas would you reccomend?
Thanks again for your help.
Lu
Certainly coming on a vacation/recce is most prudent. Where to recommend is a very difficult question. As I'm sure you know Canada is vast. The most popular areas appear to be the Maritimes, Alberta and BC. The Maritimes because of its closeness to the UK, its smallness, its friendliness and small town atmosphere. Alberta because its job opportunities, booming economy, wonderful skiing amd magnificent scenery. BC is quite a wonderful place with the Pacific ocean and wonderful mountain scenery. On the coast weather is much like the UK insofar as lots of rain in winter but unlike the UK, has wonderful summers.
Because of the country's size taking the recce can be daunting. Driving from coast to coast would take 5-6 days and would not leave much time for investigating. There is also Ontario where I'm located. It is still regarded as the country's economic engine. So much depends on what lifestyle you are seeking.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
down load the forms via emigrate canada website, we applied jan 2006 and used a layer ,what a mistake hopefully we are on the home run

·
Registered
7 Posts
although i dont live in canada i have recently moved from Uk to Oz, i completely agree with the person who said "do a recce", i came to Oz two years ago for 6wks on a recce and farmilarised myself with a chosen area so that when i moved i wasnt too over whelmed. you may find that a year in to your move youve discovered another area that you prefer which you would never have found out about untill youve upped roots.
good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Leeabr101, have you found a police force to apply to yet, i know you had a thread up before and noticed in areply you made on another one that you found the force you wanted, hope all goes as planned for you for the future move to ontario, we are going end of march, booked the flights the other day, were gone march 30th, best of luck to you...... i believe theres an emigrate show sometime in march but not positive on the dates, i know i did see something in one of the threads about it, if i find it will let you know....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Jen

Just had look on website. Ontario and alberta are not exhibiting unfortunately and its a bit far from me to get to.
Just have to make my own mind up!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

Where and when is the emigration show? is there a web site? could be interesting!

Lee
HI Lee,

The emigrate show is in Esher Surrey and it is 6th and 7th march. I saw advert in my local paper and I googled emigrate show and it took me to their website. You can book tickets in advance and they are about a quid cheaper that way.
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all'
I am a lorry driver and have managed to get a job in Alberta on the PR scheme, My family an I are emigrating in March 2010 we went to the Canadian expo in London in Oct and found it to be a waste of time and money for anyone in the transport industry , it was OK if you were interested in the health care service. The only thing that was of use was speaking to moneycorp and learning about the best way to transfer your money and there were a couple of removal companies which we got quotes from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all'
I am a lorry driver and have managed to get a job in Alberta on the PR scheme, My family an I are emigrating in March 2010 we went to the Canadian expo in London in Oct and found it to be a waste of time and money for anyone in the transport industry , it was OK if you were interested in the health care service. The only thing that was of use was speaking to moneycorp and learning about the best way to transfer your money and there were a couple of removal companies which we got quotes from.
Thats interesting. Have u got their details, moneycorp that is? What is the best way to transfer money?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi all'
Hello, just wonderd where in Alberta you are going and what type of driving job your going to be doing, i lived in Edmonton for 5 years so was just curious... cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
The company I am working for is H&R transport they were one of the big firm offering the prospects and I will be running mainly cross border.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The company I will be working for is H&R Transport they offerd me the best prospects and I will be running mainly cross border.
H&R, yes i know of them, large company with lots of trucks, red trucks with white writing, the have been around for years. Be prepared to be on the road, i think they keep you out for awhile, if you have a sat nav should see if you can upload north america maps, you will need them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.