Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blame Colonel Tom Parker….from Wikipedia: “Presley had to do no more than provide RCA with three albums a year and his film soundtracks did that for him. With no touring or public appearances to be made, Parker was able to keep costs to a minimum. (From 1960 to 1965) his films still made money and his albums still sold well, but the profits were falling. This led Parker to insist that films be made cheaply, on a strict schedule, and with as little hassle as possible….For the remainder of the 1960s, Presley made films that relied heavily on exotic locations and mundane songs, and he was tied into contracts that he could not escape. Parker did not care if the films were good or bad but only about the profits. When Presley complained to him that he wanted better scripts, Parker reminded him of his lavish lifestyle and that risking $1 million a year for doing practically no work was dangerous.”

Anyone who saw Elvis in Flaming Star (1960) would agree that a great acting talent was unfortunately totally wasted from that time on.....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yep, I thought he also had talent in acting, but was used by others and never came close to what he could have been.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Thanks for posting Elvis singing Guadalajara with a mariachi accompaniment, Gary. I am no Elvis fan but really enjoyed that rendition of the famous song that you and some others find embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Thanks for posting Elvis singing Guadalajara with a mariachi accompaniment, Gary. I am no Elvis fan but really enjoyed that rendition of the famous song that you and some others find embarrassing.
I agree the the Dog: It looked like everybody was having a grand old time. Why not?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Remember the audience these movies were intended for and the time when they were made. And, most people did have a good time. Was Elvis a "great" Mariachi singer? By Gary's standard, no. By others standards? Each person has to make their own judgment. With good people managing Elvis, I wonder how much he really could have accomplished. And, just look t what he did with what he had.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Remember the audience these movies were intended for and the time when they were made. And, most people did have a good time. Was Elvis a "great" Mariachi singer? By Gary's standard, no. By others standards? ....
Just for the record, CD, I never said or even implied that Elvis was a great mariachi singer. I did, however, enjoy that staged rendition of Guadalajara Gary posted presumably (perhaps) in derision.

I didn´t care for most of Elvis´ music but, in addition to Guadalajara per You Tube, I was quite fond of Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and In The Ghetto. His descent into Vegas Elvis later in his career may have been a sad trend for someone with his talent but, on the other hand, in my opinión, that is really where he belonged in many ways.

Whatever became of Elvis in his latter years, there is no replacing the dreadful Love Me Tender he sang in his first movie of the same name in the mid-50s. Dawg was a young boy attending Greenville (Alabama) High School in those days and, I swear, the high school administration let the high school student body atttend the movie en masse for a special showing at the Ritz Theater downtown during the school day - an honor normally reserved only for occasional Walt Disney movies such as Snow White. Needless to say, upon Elvis´first appearance on screen the girls started frantically screaming and we boys stated catcalling and deriding his preformance. Of couse, we boys were openly envious of Elvis as we could hardly get those same girls to even acknowledge our existence in the hallways down at the school must less scream in ecstacy at our presence. Interesting that Elvis ended up a forlorn and lonely, obese charácter passing to his reward on a toilet. De Lawd Works in mysterious ways. Pass the peanut butter and mayo sammiches and an RC Cola please.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Dawg, I never implied that you said that. Your experience in H.S. with Elvis was very similar to mine in Texas. Same effect on girls and boys. I did, however, come to really like his music and his performances (and gave up my jealousy), and am one of those who wish that he could have remained with us a long time. His personal appearance paled when he began to perform. :D

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Dawg, I never implied that you said that. Your experience in H.S. with Elvis was very similar to mine in Texas. Same effect on girls and boys. I did, however, come to really like his music and his performances (and gave up my jealousy), and am one of those who wish that he could have remained with us a long time. His personal appearance paled when he began to perform. :D
Elvis was just another case of a natural talent in a naive person used to make a bunch of money for the promoters. Same thing happened to a number of other performers who were exploited "to death", including Judy Garland as another prime example.
Fame often isn't at all what it''s cracked up to be.

I never did "get" the screaming teenagers, but then, I'm weird.:D

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Elvis had very good songs, and for some time he was a good singer, but that version of Guadalajara, with some Mariachis, quite a few Speedy Gonzalez on steroids and singing something that meant nothing, is not Mexican and to me, it's embarrassing. I don't think Elvis was trying to be rude, in fact I think he was not trying to... anything by singing that.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember the audience these movies were intended for and the time when they were made. And, most people did have a good time. Was Elvis a "great" Mariachi singer? By Gary's standard, no. By others standards? Each person has to make their own judgment. With good people managing Elvis, I wonder how much he really could have accomplished. And, just look t what he did with what he had.
Who were those movies intended for?
Were they supposed to like that?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Does not have to be Mexican to be good just like "you´re nothin but a hound dog# does not have to be sung by a black woman to be enjoyed. You may like the original better in both cases but different interpretentions is what makes songs interesting. Nothing to be embarassed about .

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does not have to be Mexican to be good just like "you´re nothin but a hound dog# does not have to be sung by a black woman to be enjoyed. You may like the original better in both cases but different interpretentions is what makes songs interesting. Nothing to be embarassed about .
As much as I understand what you say, I still find Elvis' interpretation as an intent of killing "Guadalajara".
He does not even try to sing in Spanish, hence he says nothing
And all those guys screaming and shouting, with big hats and sarapes, pretending to be Mexicans, maybe that was the cliche of a Mexican back then... Disgusting

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree that that video is a good demonstration of someone going through the motions with no interest in the subject. I think Elvis made some great music for his day but he also made some pretty awful stuff, especially in his movies.

He was also pretty much a hermit and could not enjoy the circuit the way many singers did. Drugs seems to have been a convenient escape.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I agree that that video is a good demonstration of someone going through the motions with no interest in the subject. I think Elvis made some great music for his day but he also made some pretty awful stuff, especially in his movies.

He was also pretty much a hermit and could not enjoy the circuit the way many singers did. Drugs seems to have been a convenient escape.
Well, KC, Elvis was a simple ******* country boy from the lowest rungs of the social ladder in Tupelo, Mississippi having grown up in the 1940s and 50s when that región was isolated, poor and the subject of derision among many rubes from other regions in the U.S. we now realize were also laughable backwaters. Out of the pine forests, this unassuming clodhopper found himself inexplicably cast into the spotlight and then, there he was, in indescribably tacky Las Vegas with the Rat Pack and Pat Boone and Connie Frances among many other losers singing insipid selections from the movie Half Moon Bay and he was a total hit with all those Midwesterrn Cornhuskers living it up in Las Vegas on slot machines (where they almost always lost) and really bad food flamed at the table and served with "umbrella" sweet drink concoctions by a woman with big boobs and he was an innocent country boy with a limited education coming out of the piney woods where he discarded his mule for a "luxury" bus out west to Vegas with stops in places like Dallas to pick up banjo players and then he was in their grip which was as firm as an IRS agent´s handshake .

This is the ignorant rube who volunteered for Viet Nam and then, when protests against that war offended his sense of patriotism, became a self-righteous super - patriot. During all of this he remained a social outcast. A sad story. Let him RIP.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
As much as I understand what you say, I still find Elvis' interpretation as an intent of killing "Guadalajara".
He does not even try to sing in Spanish, hence he says nothing
And all those guys screaming and shouting, with big hats and sarapes, pretending to be Mexicans, maybe that was the cliche of a Mexican back then... Disgusting
Well, Gary, in those days Elvis sang what he was directed to sing and. in thiis instance, he was directed to sing Guadalajara. The idea that this simple bumpkin set out with the "intent of killing" this famous old song is, in my opinión, absurd. As for bad music with a constructive purpose, I think the U.S. should broadcast Elvis singing Love Me Tender at top volume into North Korea from loudspeakers on the DMZ until the North Korean authorities surrender unconditionally in order to preserve their sanity.

As for the clowns accompanying Elvis on the Guadalajara excerpt with the big hats and sarapes, I have lived in Jalisco near Metropolitan Guadalajara for some 15 years and have attended many mariachi concerts over that time. In my experience, that´s exactly the way many authentically Mexican mariachi bands look and dress. Mariachi is and always has been a parody of itself and the edges of much of Mexican culture just as banjo-picking, tub-thumping music played by bumpkins in overalls is an effective parody of the edges of my southern U.S. culture. No need to be offended. In Chiapas we have marimba bands some of which can also often offer comic relief on occasion, especially if they add a really bad saxaphone player accompaniment.

I enjoyed that Guadalajara clip with Elvis. I think I´ll check it out again.

·
Registered
14 Posts

He was also pretty much a hermit and could not enjoy the circuit the way many singers did. Drugs seems to have been a convenient escape.[/QUOTE
]

Well, KC, Elvis was a simple ******* country boy from the lowest rungs of the social ladder in Tupelo, Mississippi having grown up in the 1940s and 50s when that región was isolated, poor and the subject of derision among many rubes from other regions in the U.S. we now realize were also laughable backwaters. Out of the pine forests, this unassuming clodhopper found himself inexplicably cast into the spotlight and then, there he was, in indescribably tacky Las Vegas with the Rat Pack and Pat Boone and Connie Frances among many other losers singing insipid selections from the movie Half Moon Bay and he was a total hit with all those Midwesterrn Cornhuskers living it up in Las Vegas on slot machines (where they almost always lost) and really bad food flamed at the table and served with "umbrella" sweet drink concoctions by a woman with big boobs and he was an innocent country boy with a limited education coming out of the piney woods where he discarded his mule for a "luxury" bus out west to Vegas with stops in places like Dallas to pick up banjo players and then he was in their grip which was as firm as an IRS agent´s handshake .

This is the ignorant rube who volunteered for Viet Nam and then, when protests against that war offended his sense of patriotism, became a self-righteous super - patriot. During all of this he remained a social outcast. A sad story. Let him RIP.
Where to start? I've never read that Elvis volunteered for service in Viet Nam. He served from 58 to 60. The first American fighting troops didn't arrive in Viet Nam until 65. If Elvis tried to reenlist it's something I'm unaware of and stand corrected if I am wrong.

Along with not mentioning the greatness of Elvis' music you left out the most important part of his life. That's the influence he had on so many. The Beatles, Eric Clapton, the Stones, Jeff beck, and the list goes on and on to the point I believe that America music would not be the same without Elvis' influence. Sure he was a country boy who lost his way much in the manner of Muhammad Ali.

If you love American music you have to respect Elvis. Also his musicians were top notch, not county bumpkins. His guitar player Scotty Moore I believe still plays with guitar greats. He's almost as legendary as Les Paul or Chet Atkins.

You also omitted Elvis' influence on American culture. He set the stage for folks like Chuck Berry to enter the mainstream music scene. When you look at Elvis' concerts you don't see the older crowd until later in his career. To emply that he was only revered only by corn husker types is disgusting.

As far as music from the edges of Southern Culture we have a plethora of groups that have their origins from the Southern edge. Johnny Winter, the Allman Brothers, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, and on and on and on and on.

I'm not an Elvis freak. I own none of his music. I do listen occasionally to him on youtube.

Elvis like many of the musicians of the time came from impoverished homes. Maybe that's where their motivation came from. I applaud their successes.

I'm going to guess that you don't play an instrument or understand music.

At the risk of being removed from this forum I'm going to say that your ignorance of music is insulting and your stereotyping is deplorable.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Gary if you do not like to see stereoptypes do not watch anything from the 50´s or 60´s , everyone was stereoptyped from the Chinese, to the Africans, Mexicans, the French , the Italians and so on and so on, that is the way it was. Elvis was a product of his time and that is the way it was in those days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts