Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became a UK resident a BRP via UK Ancestry. I'm a South African citizen, and have dual residency with the USA. (Green card)

So just received a voter registration thing in the mail from Bristol City Council and was wondering how to reply.

Don't want to answer the wrong way!:p

Am I eligible to be on the voter roll? I know in the USA it's quite a serious offense to register for voting if you not eligible. (you can be deported and banned for 10 years)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I recently became a UK resident a BRP via UK Ancestry. I'm a South African citizen, and have dual residency with the USA. (Green card)

So just received a voter registration thing in the mail from Bristol City Council and was wondering how to reply.

Don't want to answer the wrong way!:p

Am I eligible to be on the voter roll? I know in the USA it's quite a serious offense to register for voting if you not eligible. (you can be deported and banned for 10 years)
I had to provide them a copy of my USA PP to prove I am exempt from registration. But I live Scotland (if it matters). You can call them and ask. Tell them your situation and ask what they want (which is what I did).

Reactions: sprouted

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Read this from the Electoral Commision Website.
Anyone who does not fit the catagories named can be fair certain are only entitled to register once UK Citizenship is obtained.

Who can register to vote?

To be eligible to register to vote, a person must be:

* 16 or over in England and Wales (but you cannot vote until you are 18); or 14 or over in Scotland (but you cannot vote in local elections and elections to the Scottish Parliament until you are 16 or elections to the UK and European Parliaments until you are 18)
* a British, Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen

Citizens of EU countries other than the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta cannot vote in UK Parliamentary general elections, but can vote at local government elections, Scottish Parliamentary elections if they are registered in Scotland, National Assembly for Wales elections if they are registered in Wales and Greater London Authority elections if they are registered in London. They can also vote at European Parliamentary elections if they fill in a form stating that they wish to vote in the UK and not in their home country.

If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact your local electoral registration office.

You can still register now for other future elections.

In England, Scotland or Wales, you can register to vote online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.

In Northern Ireland, visit our Register to vote in Northern Ireland page to download a registration form.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
You can register to vote in all elections on account of your SA, thus Commonwealth, citizenship and because you are here on a resident visa (not visitor), with leave to enter or remain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.