Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, thanks all for any assistance on this matter.

My wife and I are planning on moving to France in the spring (from Canada) so she can continue her academic pursuits. She is a French citizen and has a wealthy French family with properties in several parts of France. I also have a wealthy background, and have no financial difficulties as a barrier to moving; however, I have a criminal record in Canada. Will this impede my ability to move there? Will it affect my initial long stay Visa, or my eventual attempt to get French citizenry down the road or both? I can't seem to find if there is even a criminal record check in the long stay visa application process? This criminal record is from my very turbulent past that I have now long since left behind.

Thanks again for any help on this matter.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
Firstly, thanks all for any assistance on this matter.

My wife and I are planning on moving to France in the spring (from Canada) so she can continue her academic pursuits. She is a French citizen and has a wealthy French family with properties in several parts of France. I also have a wealthy background, and have no financial difficulties as a barrier to moving; however, I have a criminal record in Canada. Will this impede my ability to move there? Will it affect my initial long stay Visa, or my eventual attempt to get French citizenry down the road or both? I can't seem to find if there is even a criminal record check in the long stay visa application process? This criminal record is from my very turbulent past that I have now long since left behind.

Thanks again for any help on this matter.
There are some differences between a regular visa de long sejour and one for someone married to a French national. In the USA, one must submit an FBI criminal records check with one's application for a visa de long sejour. I would imagine it would be similar in Canada...but I'm not sure if you'd face the same level of scrutiny as the spouse of a French national.

You might want to check with the French Consulate in Canada to which you'll be applying for your Visa. They can provide you with guidance.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. It would seem a spouse can only be denied if they are a threat to the security of France, from the research I've done, and I am certainly not that. Also, I'm wondering how long this initial process takes before we move to France from Canada? I may ask this in a different thread if no answer is available in this one..

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It would seem a spouse can only be denied if they are a threat to the security of France, from the research I've done, and I am certainly not that. Also, I'm wondering how long this initial process takes before we move to France from Canada? I may ask this in a different thread if no answer is available in this one..
There are several people from Canada who participate on this Forum. They can tell you if there are significant differences between the US and Canada.

After we'd submitted all of our documentation and forms to the Consulate in Boston, it took a couple of months to get our Visa OKed. From what I've read, your Visa should take less time, though of course, it will depend upon how busy they are and how many of the Consulate's staff are on vacation when you apply.

You can search the threads. The one's you're looking for regarding visas for spouses of French nationals are less than 3 months old.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's going to depend mostly on your consulate, appointment availability, if they're going to put your application through more scrutiny because of your scrape with the law. I'd say to assume that it's going to take at least a couple months.

Also, have you guys had your marriage declared in France and have a livret de famille? Haven't looked up the requirements in Canada but generally they want that stuff. So if you don't, then it will add even more time to get the proper French paperwork.

·
Administrator
50,423 Posts
Apparently, you will need that livret de famille - and that's what can take "a few" months to obtain.

Once you have that, it will depend on what your background turns up. As you say, they would have to consider you a "threat to the security" of France. If your juvenile record is mostly DUIs or even smoking a few joints, you're probably ok. If you've been involved in terrorist activity or leaking of national security stuff, then they might have cause to block your visa request.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts