Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am a new member in desperate need of information as all attempts to get it on the website has been futile.

I am a Registered Mental Health Nurse, registered in both the UK and Australia since 2006 and 2007 respectively. I am seriously considering moving to work and live in Brisbane with my family and I have been informed that getting a state sponsorship is my best option.

I am however finding it difficult to do this.

I will appreciate any information given on these questions below.

1. I have registered to do the IELTS exam on the 14th of April, 2012 as it is not very clear if this is needed or not as I am trained in the UK?????

2. Do I also need to do an OET exam ??? (Occupational English Test) I read something regarding this on the website.

3. I shall be 46 by next month and not sure if I still qualify for a state sponsorship visa as some information states it's okay to, if under 50, and others states, not eligible if over 45.

4. Should I apply for job from here before applying for the visa or vice-versa?

5. I have a wonderful agent who is already looking into hospital sponsorship for me, this i am grateful for, but I do not want to be tied down with one hospital as I am a single mum and very worried that I might need to move around to settle the kids in case they do not like the area I found the job..................

Please kindly supply as much information as possible, I will be very grateful as i am, although very excited, but quite anxious about moving and do not want to get there only to be informed that........." what a shame, you are on a wrong visa" My other concern is if the visa is not renewed, or the requirement is too demanding, i will be putting my self and the kids in a very awkward situation.

Thank you in anticipation whilst awaiting your kind comments/suggestions/opinion, I am open to all please.

Victoria

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Victoria, welcome to the expatforum!

The first thing you will have to determine is how many points you currently qualify for. Australian immigration requires a minimum of 65 points for most visas. There are many factors, here is a link to the explanation of the points categories:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-test.pdf

For me, as an example:
Experience: 8+ years --> 15 pts
Recognised education ---> 10 pts
IELTS superior score (yet to achieve this one) ---> 20 pts

Those are the points I could get on my own - which totals 60. So I need at least 5 more points. This is why I have to go for the state sponsored visa (176) because that gives you 5 points. If I had 65 points on my own, I would have gone for the 175 instead.

If you can find an employer who will sponsor you, you don't have to meet any points requirement. This may be the best path for you, but take a look at the various points categories in the link above to see how you fare.

re: state sponsorship, you have to check the state you are interested in to determine if your occupation is on their SOL (skilled occupation list). Here's a link to the Queensland one:

http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/secure/docs/4498.pdf

Looks like there are several different types of Registered Nurses on the list (good news!). You'll notice that they all do have a minimum IELTS score of 7 required (so you would have to site the IELTS test if you go the 176 visa route).

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the welcome and your very informative reply, I have looked into the websites given and they are very informative in deed.

I am currently awaiting the response from an agent who is searching for an hospital sponsor on my behalf. I have applied as stated earlier, for an IELTS exam, hopefully, if I am able to get the required number in that, I will start looking into other points I can collect and will see which goes through first (either the hospital sponsorship or an individual application).

My concern with the hospital sponsorship is that I will be tied with them for ? some years and also might not meet their requirement when it's time to renew/apply for a permanent visa.

Thanks again, I appreciate the

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear all,

I have been offered a position in Darwin as opposed to Brisbane where I am interested in. I need an urgent help in making a decision whether to apply for a State Sponsorship or Hospital Sponsorship, considering I have 2 school age children.

Any advise and information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.