Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if it will be more expensive to get electronics stuff from Aussie or to get it from my home and bring it to Aussie.

eg would be a Canon 7D which cost about AUD$1875 from my home. Any recommended website or places I can used as reference.

I also heard that if we buy any electronics stuff in Aussie, we can claim tax reference if you have used it for work ?? so for eg if I get a laptop or a camera and use it for work eg part-time event or wedding photographer, can we claim in for tax refund ???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

Based on my exp, I would say there is no right time to buy electronics in Aus, i mean every week or month price keep changing.

For example when I came at that time Toshibha L5200 Satelite was in special at 699, later I bought it at 730 AUD

But last week the same model was being sell at 430 AUD + couple devices free

About the tax claiming yes you can do

Regards
Jiggy

Hi,

I was wondering if it will be more expensive to get electronics stuff from Aussie or to get it from my home and bring it to Aussie.

eg would be a Canon 7D which cost about AUD$1875 from my home. Any recommended website or places I can used as reference.

I also heard that if we buy any electronics stuff in Aussie, we can claim tax reference if you have used it for work ?? so for eg if I get a laptop or a camera and use it for work eg part-time event or wedding photographer, can we claim in for tax refund ???

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

So how do we go about claiming tax refund ?

eg today I go to a department shop and buy a laptop or a camera. I have the receipt and what do I do next ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

So how do we go about claiming tax refund ?

eg today I go to a department shop and buy a laptop or a camera. I have the receipt and what do I do next ?
Not sure about how to claim that but you need to keep that receipt with you. :) if I get the detail I wil share with you all ..

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Gov is tightening on that "for work" loophole. For example, if you already get one laptop from work then buy another and claim it's for work, tough luck I heard.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You claim it when you file your tax return. A laptop you can claim (1) every 3 years and if you work in IT it's not a big issue, part time photographer the ATO might question you about the business income and if you can't prove it then you can't claim the camera either.

Just be sure you have receipts and proof it was used for work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts