Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you know we have just bought a property in murcia. my question is this what do you normally pay per month for electricity?
the standing charge that we have been put on appears to be 60 euroes bi monthly. is this the same for everyone or are there variances.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Yes but it costs as you will probably have to get a boletin (safety certificate).

We are contracted for 5.45kW and I seem to recall our standing charge is about 45€ per month so yours is not high.
I know you need a boletin if you want to increase the potencia, but I'm not sure that you do if you want to decrease it.

The OP would need to make sure he doesn't reduce it too much or he is likely to experience a problem of the supply tripping when too many appliances are switched on at once.

·
Registered
15,906 Posts
Check your bill or contract to see what level of supply you are on (potencia facturada). The higher it is, the higher the standing charge. Sounds like you are on a very high one, probably much more than you need. If so it's definitely worth getting the contract changed, that's a lot of money.

Our contract is for 4.6kW, which is perfectly adequate for normal household usage (including electric heating in winter). and the standing charge is €16 a month.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sorry, I neglected to mention that the OP will need to make sure the actual electricity contract was changed into his name when he bought the property, and not just the billing details (which is often all that lawyers or estate agents do, for convenience).

If the contract does still need to be changed into his name, then he will need a boletin anyway in order to get the new contract. He wouldn't be able to change the potencia if the contract is not yet in his name.

Check the electricity bill to see whose name is shown as "Titular", not just who the bill is addressed to.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
as some of you know we have just bought a property in murcia. my question is this what do you normally pay per month for electricity?
the standing charge that we have been put on appears to be 60 euroes bi monthly. is this the same for everyone or are there variances.
From my last bill:

Potencia of 5.75 Kw is 0.12 Euros per day per Kw. So that's 5.75 * 61 days * 0.12 = 42 Euros ish (for 2 months).

I wouldn't consider lowering my potencia below what it is now. In winter, if you have electric heating and some activity going on in the kitchen, e.g. oven, couple of cooker rings, and the kettle, you'll trip the supply.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again for all your help with this. our potencia is 5.75kwh so that seems the common one. this has been a saga from day one.
iberiadola fitted the meter at the wrong house (number12 we live at number14) after being given the wrong information by the vendors solicitors, so with the help of the estate agent we had to go to their office in puerto mazarron and get it changed to our property. they have then billed us for it even though it was in the agreement that the vendor would pay for this 143.75euros. we're sorting this out as i'm typing this.
i don't know what i would have done without the help of our estate agent who i cannot praise highly enough, they really do go the extra mile. once again thanks for all your replies, this board has helped us enormously with the info that you all provide.

thanks smitty.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
thanks again for all your help with this. our potencia is 5.75kwh so that seems the common one. this has been a saga from day one.
iberiadola fitted the meter at the wrong house (number12 we live at number14) after being given the wrong information by the vendors solicitors, so with the help of the estate agent we had to go to their office in puerto mazarron and get it changed to our property. they have then billed us for it even though it was in the agreement that the vendor would pay for this 143.75euros. we're sorting this out as i'm typing this.
i don't know what i would have done without the help of our estate agent who i cannot praise highly enough, they really do go the extra mile. once again thanks for all your replies, this board has helped us enormously with the info that you all provide.

thanks smitty.
... as said previously, make sure that the contract is in your name!

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I have 3 phase in my property so potencia is 10.659??w
Ours is 13,865. Our average monthly bill is 110 euros for cooking, heating water, the usual appliances, tvs, computers, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, heating in winter and running swimming pool pump. We pump the sprinklers in the summer months.

Less than half of what we paid in Prague for an extremely well insulated house.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
The BBC did a programme a while ago on electricity prices in Europe. Germany came out as the most expensive, followed by Prague. I think Spain was about the sixth and Ireland was one most expensive. Surprisingly UK came out as one of the least expensive especially for both electric and gas. I think the Scandinavian countries came out the cheapest, which is fortunate considering they probably use more.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yep, another myth busted [Spain extortionate for electricity].
Its impossible to compare, one person may have one shower a day, another, 1.
Some hardly use their electric oven, others cook big meals every day.
Having said that, Mrypg9 , yours does seem excessively high!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its impossible to compare, one person may have one shower a day, another, 1.
Some hardly use their electric oven, others cook big meals every day.
Having said that, Mrypg9 , yours does seem excessively high!
would agree with you on that 110 euroes a month seems very high to me.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts