Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
El precio de la luz volverá a subir en octubre con un aumento del 3,1% | Economía | EL PAÍS

Spain has one of the highest domestic electricity rates in Europe, and they are still hiking up the prices.

Has anyone successfully switched suppliers and saved money? I was doorstepped by someone from Iberdrola recently claiming they could reduced our bills by 10-15%, but they wouldn't give me any more details because the contract is in my husband's name and he was away.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Unless you have a supply in excess of 10kw then switching suppliers is waste of time as the prices are the same as fixed by the government.
They'll still tell you that you can save , but it's a con.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If anyone seriously thinks that the Millipede will be able to successfully freeze energy prices then I understand one-way trips to Mars are currently available. He said, yesterday, prices would be frozen until 2017. So, they get voted in in 2015, get agreement in parliament to freeze prices probably in 2016 and they freeze prices for a few months until 2017. Something like that apart from the fact it won't happen...

·
Registered
473 Posts
If anyone seriously thinks that the Millipede will be able to successfully freeze energy prices then I understand one-way trips to Mars are currently available. He said, yesterday, prices would be frozen until 2017. So, they get voted in in 2015, get agreement in parliament to freeze prices probably in 2016 and they freeze prices for a few months until 2017. Something like that apart from the fact it won't happen...
Wow, such good promises.

If he can promise me a night with Scarlett Johansson I might consider voting for him.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I have a feeling that the retail energy prices fiasco is about to come to an end. It's almost impossible to compare one deal with another, I'm on fixed deal until September 2014 and have no idea if it's the best, however a 1450 square feet detached house costing circa £1,500 p/a for gas, electricity and water for two folk in residence 24/7 can't be that bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree.
The prices are fixed by the government.
I you change companies you are only going to save a few euros.

Unless you have a supply in excess of 10kw then switching suppliers is waste of time as the prices are the same as fixed by the government.

·
Registered
15,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've checked out the Iberdrola offer and it offers 10% discount on the standing charge for 12 months, even if you are on the TUR (10kw or less). As you say, the price per unit is fixed by the govt and can't be discounted.

I am on 4,6 kW and the standing charge is about €11 a month, so with a 10% discount I would save the grand total of €13 over the 12 month period.

Not worth the hassle!

https://www.iberdrola.es/customers/home/electricity/power-up-10kw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts