Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could some one please let me know what the average electricity bill should be for a family of 4 living in a 3 bed duplex in Benalmadena. No pool, not a huge area, no bizarre electrical appliances! Just your bog standard family with a telly, washer, a couple of computers etc.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I have a 3 bed villa, with pool and PCs, TVs, tumble drier, washing machine (which seems to be on every waking minute), electric hob and oven, water pump but gas heated water. Our bill is around €125 - €150 a month. My parents, who have a 2 bed place, no pool but all of the rest pay around €80 a month.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.

Our first 2 month bill was €422 - the kids were home all day from school Summer hols, a/c going etc.

(I don't have a tumble dryer or a dishwasher & like I said no pool. But everything is electric, no gas at all).

We thought Korea was expensive for utilities! So this bill came as a shock to us!

Okay so after that kids now on limited a/c and lights out when they leave a room!!

In these next 2 months my kids have been at school. A/c on during the night in their rooms sometimes. Mine not at all. Hubby now on work rotation so a lot less laundry (&cleaning)!

& our bill is now €362 for 2 months. Not a tremendous drop considering we have made a conscious effort to watch our consumption.

I still think it seems a lot for 'leccy! Or am I just out of touch?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Have you checked the meter readings yourself? Are they actual readings or estimated?

Turn everything off in house and see if the counter on your meter is still moving - it might be that others are using your power.

Why do you need a/c at this time of year? Try without it.

Are you cooking with electric (hob, oven etc.)?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

Our first 2 month bill was €422 - the kids were home all day from school Summer hols, a/c going etc.

(I don't have a tumble dryer or a dishwasher & like I said no pool. But everything is electric, no gas at all).

We thought Korea was expensive for utilities! So this bill came as a shock to us!

Okay so after that kids now on limited a/c and lights out when they leave a room!!

In these next 2 months my kids have been at school. A/c on during the night in their rooms sometimes. Mine not at all. Hubby now on work rotation so a lot less laundry (&cleaning)!

& our bill is now €362 for 2 months. Not a tremendous drop considering we have made a conscious effort to watch our consumption.

Thanks again.
We live in a large villa with pool and the usual appliances and we are all- electric. We never use aircon as the rooms are spacious and airy. There are two of us and we have the usual appliances.
Our bills are around €170 a month. We do not heat with electricity.
I think our bills are a bit steep but friends with similar properties pay the same.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the agent, we are renting through, these are readings not estimates.

My kids are used to sleeping with Asian a/c blasting cold and efficiently. The ones in their bedrooms look like something from the Ark (apparently they are from 2008!). Kids have now had reality check! No more a/c at all until they are actually hot. Not just assuming they may get a little warm during the night!

Electric oven and hob. Although I am more of a 're heater' than a 'cooker'!

This is probably going to sound dense but in an apt build in Spain where would I find my electric meter?!

Thanks again for any and all input and replies much appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Electricity in Spain is one of those things I consider to be a 'black art' — I just don't understand it, how it works or what the prices are based on.

I still can't figure out why an electricity bill for a flat that is only occupied at a maximum of 6-8 weeks of the year should have a monthly electricity bill that varies every single month.

Unfortunately you're going to have to roll your sleeves up and do some hard slog to figure out why your bills are so high. Prices seem to be based on Kw Tariffs, the higher your Kw Tariff, the higher your electricity price and standing charge will be. Kw Tariffs (from what I understand) are based on what your highest likely Kw load will draw.

So the first thing you need to do is figure out what your highest likely Kw load would be so you can get yourself on the lowest Tariff.

I hope someone else can come along and clarify this because I'm just as confused about all this as everyone else is.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
According to the agent, we are renting through, these are readings not estimates.

My kids are used to sleeping with Asian a/c blasting cold and efficiently. The ones in their bedrooms look like something from the Ark (apparently they are from 2008!). Kids have now had reality check! No more a/c at all until they are actually hot. Not just assuming they may get a little warm during the night!

Electric oven and hob. Although I am more of a 're heater' than a 'cooker'!

This is probably going to sound dense but in an apt build in Spain where would I find my electric meter?!

Thanks again for any and all input and replies much appreciated.

Alarm bells have started to ring!

From your comment, I assume that you have NOT seen the bills - in which case, don't pay them! I'm not saying that the agent is crooked but he MUST give you a copy of the bill. Once you have a bill, it will be obvious if it is estimated or not. You can also check the readings (once you find the meters).

In an apartment block, the meters will usually be in a communal area on the ground floor (or even outside). You should have access to this and should be able to identify your meter - certainly your agent will be able to show you.

Again, it's not uncommon for someone else to be using your power!

·
Registered
746 Posts
AThis is probably going to sound dense but in an apt build in Spain where would I find my electric meter?!
In my apartment building all the meters are located in a room off the lobby area. The caretaker/handyman has keys to the room. You might have to contact the administrator of the managing agent or someone within the Comunidad to let you have access.

I'm sorry to say this but getting to the bottom of why your electricity bills are so high isn't going to be easy or fun! It's going to be very frustrating.

I suspect they make it so difficult deliberately so they can get away with charging people such astronomic amounts of money.

At the end of the day getting your electricity bills down will be a combination of understanding why they're so high, getting yourself on the correct tariff with the right company and actually identifying what appliances are using the most electricity and when.

For example energy saving light bulbs, modern computers, LCD televisions etc really don't use large amounts of electricity — whereas A/C, heaters, ovens/hobs, kettles, washing machines, tumble driers etc do.

So getting kids to switch off lights etc won't make much difference at all if you're running A/C, tumble driers or washing machines for hours on end.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Alarm bells have started to ring!

From your comment, I assume that you have NOT seen the bills - in which case, don't pay them! I'm not saying that the agent is crooked but he MUST give you a copy of the bill. Once you have a bill, it will be obvious if it is estimated or not. You can also check the readings (once you find the meters).

In an apartment block, the meters will usually be in a communal area on the ground floor (or even outside). You should have access to this and should be able to identify your meter - certainly your agent will be able to show you.

Again, it's not uncommon for someone else to be using your power!
You cannot have estimated bills anymore , they are illegal. If they cannot actually read the meter they can only charge for the rental/standing charges.

As from august the 1st Iberdrola have reduced the kw/hr rate & increased the standing charges, which is what the government want them to do. Increase the income regardless of use through the standing charges.

I concur, with snikpoh in that you shouldn't pay until you see the actual bill.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The bill will still be in the landlord/owner's name but you have a legal right to see it. You also have the right to see any past bills you have not had copies of. Ask for copies and then, if they look a bit iffy (in other words falsified) you can take them to the electric company for verification. Be careful about not paying the bill. If you don't and the owner decides not to pay you will be cut off and it won't be easy getting reconnected.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the bills in front of me. The words 'real' and 'actual' (something similar anyway!) printed on the bill seem to imply that it isn't an estimate?
Never the less my rental agents are as dodgy as they come and this is coming from a woman who rented from a man called Gangster Jang for 5 years!!!
I can't help feeling we are being hoodwinked here and paying for someone else's electricity too!
& it makes me feel better making my kids switch the lights off! I was just talking about the 3 day week to a Spanish women today. Apparently the Spanish schools are on strike??
Anyway I am off to look for my meter!
If its not one thing its another! Hey ho! So much for the laid back quiet change I thought I would experience in Spain! At least it is warm!
(& huge thanks again for all of your help).

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Who ever owns the contract is the ONLY person who can discuss and alter anything to do with the electricity supply.

Interestingly, we had an estimated bill recently from Iberdrola - illegal or not!
Which is in most cases the landlord, even if the account is billed directly to the tenant?

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
Which is in most cases the landlord, even if the account is billed directly to the tenant?
if it's billed in the tenant's name, then the tenant owns the contract

if, as in my case, it's in the landlord's name, the landlord owns it - even though the DD comes out of my account directly

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our invoice is in someone else's name! Might be the landlords name! I actually don't know. As we deal with his rental agent only.

I was hoping one of you wise ('old') owls! could decipher this for me (see below). I received this from my rental agent last night. I am not sure whether it is her written English or perhaps its me! Either way I haven't got a clue what it actually means in relation to meter readings & electricity charges! She told me in a later email go to Endesa with my contract, which obviously I don't have, and they can explain the invoice to me. I unfortunately speak no Spanish & haven't got a clue wher the Endesa office is an as stated have no contract so I am guessing that would be an interesting visit all round?!

Big thanks in advance (email from rental agent below):

This is the information received today from Endesa Company who has explained :

There has been an increase made by the Goverment called "Alza" from the 1st of August 2013.

0.009€ X 61 days of the invoice X 8.05Kw ( Contracted power) the result will be the difference of the increase.

If you wish more information you may access to internet directly " Alza de Gobierno Luz"

Endesa has mentioned since using Lectura Real, the counter can not be verify only with estimate which it is no more longer used.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
It's very common in Spain to NEVER change the name on the contract.

One of the reasons for this is that to change the name requires a new boletin (electrical inspection to make sure current regulations are being met).

For example, when we bought a property some time ago, the electricity was in some ones name from back in the 1960's! No one knew where that person was now or even if they were still alive. I tried to change the contract to my name but was told that I needed a signed letter from the current contract owner - impossible.

So, the name of the supply may NOT be the current landlord.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
angil;2160674 This is the information received today from Endesa Company who has explained : There has been an increase made by the Goverment called "Alza" from the 1st of August 2013. 0.009€ X 61 days of the invoice X 8.05Kw ( Contracted power) the result will be the difference of the increase. If you wish more information you may access to internet directly " Alza de Gobierno Luz" Endesa has mentioned since using Lectura Real said:
That's correct. They've increased the standing charge costs & reduced the charge for consumption.
They'll be doing it again next year, no doubt.

Doesn't solve your high bill costs though ?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts