Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the forum to try and get an idea of electricity prices in Spain and what I have gleaned so far is that it is different to the UK because of the you all appear to be charged different monthly charges based on your contracted maximum power supply, plus a charge per unit.

What I am trying to find (and can't seem to from the threads I have read so far) is what the 'average' charge per unit is - in addition to any monthly standing fee.

Can someone give me a clue???

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I was looking through the forum to try and get an idea of electricity prices in Spain and what I have gleaned so far is that it is different to the UK because of the you all appear to be charged different monthly charges based on your contracted maximum power supply, plus a charge per unit.

What I am trying to find (and can't seem to from the threads I have read so far) is what the 'average' charge per unit is - in addition to any monthly standing fee.

Under 10kW the price is Government controlled at about 0.131931 €/kWh (I say about because we may have a special deal, I can't remember).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that's really useful.

However I have one other question.
Does anyone know the approximate price per litre for heating oil currently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
14.70 potencia
00.77 meter rent
41.55 electicity
05.47 tax etc.

one months charges
Hepa - that seems a lot cheaper for a month than in the UK (£45 approx) - how many units (kwh) did that 41.55 cover in the month?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
The situation regarding electricity prices is more complicated now for consumers, like me, who have smart meters, because unit prices now charge by the hour, a system which was introduced from the start of each month.

! Spanish News Today - Hourly Electricity Rates Billing In Spain: What You Need To Know

There is a handy website where you can check the hourly prices on a daily basis, should you so wish

Tarifaluzhora

No idea yet whether this method of charging is going to work out more expensive or not, but my current bills, with a 3.45kw potencia, work out around 50E per month. 3.45kw is enough for us because we use gas for cooking and for heating in the winter.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hepa - that seems a lot cheaper for a month than in the UK (£45 approx) - how many units (kwh) did that 41.55 cover in the month?

Bosslady tells me 338, yes it is cheaper in the Canary Islands, we have our own equivalent of VAT, IGIC, which is only 7%, for example diesel here is under a euro and on other islands it is below 90 cents a litre

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
My last bimonthly bill (for late March to late May) was €96.82 which was for 394 kwh of electricity (that also includes the potencia charges, electricity tax and IVA).

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
For a 3-bed detached house, electric oven, electric heaters in the winter, fans and a portable aircon unit in summer, our bills average out at €100 a month. This includes a standing charge of €16.50 a month for a potencia of 4.6kW, which is plenty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks VFR.

The £/€ exchange rate obviously affects comparison - at todays rate 90c is about 62p - but that does sound expensive compared to recent UK prices (about 37p per litre today) and even compared to less recent prices (about 55p last summer).

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

It has been discussed many times, latterly with very clear information about what people pay,

If you're having to go over it in this much detail, you can't afford to live here.

That said, be aware, it will cost you less to live in Spain than it does to live in the UK.

Comparing electricity prices between Spain and the UK is interesting (for some, as is spotting trains) but irrelevant. Your consumption will be different because the weather is different and not many homes in the UK have pools in the garden, which are two examples of why it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has been discussed many times, latterly with very clear information about what people pay,

If you're having to go over it in this much detail, you can't afford to live here.

That said, be aware, it will cost you less to live in Spain than it does to live in the UK.

Comparing electricity prices between Spain and the UK is interesting (for some, as is spotting trains) but irrelevant. Your consumption will be different because the weather is different and not many homes in the UK have pools in the garden, which are two examples of why it is irrelevant.
Sorry Horlics - I didn't go into detail but my questions were not related to moving to or living in Spain.

The figures were to work out some comparisons for a relative who already lives there but is currently over here in the UK for a while and therefore has no access to her bills to get figures from.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sorry Horlics - I didn't go into detail but my questions were not related to moving to or living in Spain.

The figures were to work out some comparisons for a relative who already lives there but is currently over here in the UK for a while and therefore has no access to her bills to get figures from.
You can get access to Iberdrola bills online which might help if she spends time away: https://www.iberdrola.es/customers/home/services/bill/ebilling

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I think heavy electricity users could be in for a bit of a shock when their next bills arrive, if they have smart meters. I've been keeping an eye on the tarifaluzhora website for the past few days, and whilst before the hourly charging was introduced I was paying €0.128545 per kwh on the PVPC tariff, today for example there are only 7 hours of the day (the early hours of the morning) when the hourly price is less than that, it's higher for the other 14, up to €0.14603 in fact.

So everybody's bills will go up as a result of the new system, what a way to sneak in a price rise that people don't know about until they get hit with the bills.:mad:

·
Registered
250 Posts
We had a meter change in March 2013, I'm not 100% it was changed for a smart meter but I'm guessing it was. Our bills have been regularly very high and despite trying to utilise the night rate, we never get a bi-monthly bill under €300. What's worse, the heating and hot water are run on gas so something is eating our electricity at a rate of 10 units day/10 units night on average and It's been 30 units a day recently.

I've just ordered an electricity monitor to connect up to the 3 phase system and we are looking at having the 13.586 kW Potencia reduced to 10.3kW or even 6kW if we can spread things out evenly (electrician says these are the only options, will have to dig a little deeper to see if that’s entirely true). Hopefully the monitor will identify any appliances that are eating more than their fair share. We have a back-up tall fridge and little freezer in a utility room and I have a feeling this is where a lot of our night units are going.

It’s a biggish house with a pool but I've got the pool pump down to 4 hours a night (it takes roughly 4 hours to recirculate all the water once and as I add bleach every evening rather than rely on chlorine tabs, I can’t really run it any less). The lights have low voltage or Led bulbs and I make a point of turning them off when leaving the room. We run the dishwasher and washing machine in the morning (up to 1pm is the cheap rate….or was) so we are a little stumped as to why the bills have been consistently high (just seen one from Jan 2009 for €389 and from Nov 2011 for €370 so it’s not a new thing). The rates from the last bill were 0.180712 for day and 0.096807 at night so with a change to 0.14603 and 0.128545 I can’t see it making a lot of difference to our bill.

I've been thinking about starting a new thread about what I can do to root out the electricity guzzlers but I literally ordered the elec monitor on-line yesterday so we’ll see what that shows up.

We are with Endesa so not sure if the new rates effect us?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I suspect that you just have a digital meter which is NOT the same as a smart meter. Unless you specifically ask for dual tariff, then you'll just be on the one rate.

Does your bill show the two rates. If so, then I'm wrong.

Certainly going down to 7kW or even less (we're on 5.75kW for a large house with everything electric - hob, A/C, pool etc.) then your bills will be high.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I suspect that you just have a digital meter which is NOT the same as a smart meter. Unless you specifically ask for dual tariff, then you'll just be on the one rate.

Does your bill show the two rates. If so, then I'm wrong.

Certainly going down to 7kW or even less (we're on 5.75kW for a large house with everything electric - hob, A/C, pool etc.) then your bills will be high.
All the bills I've been able to find show the two tariffs and I did a test the other week to see what time they switched over (it was as stated on the bill 1pm and 11pm)

I've read quite a few threads here about electricity and a few people (you were probably one of them) mentioned they had larger houses with pools and everything electric and a 5.75kW supply. This is why I've been on a bit of a mission lately to find out why ours is so high, especially when we aren't using electricity for heating or air con. The electricians (who I am told are very reliable and have been helping the family for 20 years) are very sceptical about us being able to go as low as 5.75kW so hopefully when the monitor turns up it will answer all my questions. I've gone for the Efergy e2 if anyone's interested, I'll let you know what it says my average and peak usage numbers are and then I'll be able to tell the electricians which way we want to go.

*edit* I've just taken a photo of it and it is the same as the one on the right on this webpage http://solsolutions.eu/?p=410

1 - 20 of 24 Posts