Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had the problem of not being able to insert a correct 2-pin plug into a socket in France? I have tried everything but no luck. Have tried different french appliances and even the trusty old english/french adaptors will not go into the sockets. All the sockets (6 in total) are of the same type and all have the same problem. Have even turned electricity off and back on again. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Stephen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Square (single) and oblong (double) with central circular holes. Wall mounted and sit approx 1 inch off the walls. Hope that is good enough?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I would suggest you ask a neighbour whether they are the norm for France (I only suggest this because it's likely the simplest and quickest way to determine this) - if they are, you are trying to plug in the wrong way (and they generally need an extra push to fully connect), if they're not you will need to get an electrician in. Is it your own property? If it is, you should have the electrical report that states whether all electricals are up to standard. If you're renting, you should advise your landlord who would be responsible for the costs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If they do not have a central metal post ie the earth coming out of them or they are shaped like a figure of eight with one part of the eight larger than the other then you have old sockets which will not accept the larger plug sizes and are probably wired into the lighting circuit so may not be suitable for modern appliances.How old is the house and if you have bought it what did the electrical diagnostics say?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with EverHopeful, they do look standard. I have had this problem also and I believe, although I could be wrong about yours, there is a security measure in most outlets. Meaning, you really have to push the plug in, sometimes harder than you would expect. The security measure is so kids or idiots cannot just shove something in the plug, causing an electrical shock or electrocution.

I had an extension cord that I could not get anything in, my husband got the plugs in with no problem, but I struggled and finally just replaced it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts