Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Packing up to move to Florida - so excited! But not sure what I cannot take.
Will my table lamps and electrical items eg toaster, iron etc all work with adapters or do I have to buy them all again.
And will my flat screen televsion work when connected to cable tv?

·
Administrator
51,403 Posts
Common wisdom has always been to simply abandon small appliances and buy new when you get to the US. Toasters, lamps, irons, etc. are all very cheap and easy to find. If you do insist on bringing appliances from the UK, you'll need transformers - not necessarily expensive, but heavy and they throw off lots of heat while in use. The little travel converters don't normally work so well (nor are they particularly safe to use) with kitchen appliances, particularly those that cook or generate heat.

I'll have to let someone else advise you on the flat screen tv.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Please give small appliances to someone who can use them. You can get a toaste/iron for under $10:>)
If you really like your lamps you can rewire them. Every hardware/homeowrker store carries the necessary wire/hardware. Count on 10-20$/lamp.
Use the search mode for TV conversion answers. We had this topic recently. Personally - 20 inch flatscreen with built in DVD runs 150$ and up. Is it worth shipping?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Packing up to move to Florida - so excited! But not sure what I cannot take.
Will my table lamps and electrical items eg toaster, iron etc all work with adapters or do I have to buy them all again.
And will my flat screen televsion work when connected to cable tv?
Definitely don't bring:
* anything that is designed to produce heat -- iron, toaster, dryers, kettle, etc.
* large appliances -- refrigerator, washing machine

Only bring the lamps if you really like them. The plug and the socket will need to be changed.

The TV will probably work through a cable box using a transformer. But it's easier to sell there and buy fresh here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plugs and sockets can be changed on most lamps quite easily. If they mean a lot to you and you want to bring them along, then you will just need to make the alterations when you arrive--or if you are like me, have someone make them for you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts