Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in working in Australia. I am an Electrical Engineer. How easy is it to find work in Oz and how quick it is to get a working visa? I have PR in New Zealand.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Pepperpot:

Engineering always seems to be in demand, but getting a job varies. It can be a few weeks or a few months to get a suitable job.

Since you are NZ PR, how long before you can become a NZ Citizen?

NZ Citizens can live and work in Australia due to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement:
Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do need a visa a 457 temp business visa can be processed within a few weeks if you have a offer letter. The independent PR visas take longer (months to years depending on processing priority level).

I am interested in working in Australia. I am an Electrical Engineer. How easy is it to find work in Oz and how quick it is to get a working visa? I have PR in New Zealand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pepperpot:

Engineering always seems to be in demand, but getting a job varies. It can be a few weeks or a few months to get a suitable job.

Since you are NZ PR, how long before you can become a NZ Citizen?

NZ Citizens can live and work in Australia due to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement:
Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do need a visa a 457 temp business visa can be processed within a few weeks if you have a offer letter. The independent PR visas take longer (months to years depending on processing priority level).
thanks for your quick reply, do you know how much the 457 temp business visa costs and how long it lasts? Does that visa allow you to work in Australia?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I think the visa costs about $3000, mainly the application fee + medicals. It lasts upto 4 yrs and you need to stay with the same employer for that period. Once here you may wish to pursue a ENS (employer sponsored PR visa - 856).

It's a 4 yr Business Visa so yes it allows you to work in AU.

What about the NZ Citizenship route, if you've been there nearly 5 yrs it would be quicker to get NZ Citizenship and then come over to AU after that and work for any employer (or not work at all).

thanks for your quick reply, do you know how much the 457 temp business visa costs and how long it lasts? Does that visa allow you to work in Australia?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the visa costs about $3000, mainly the application fee + medicals. It lasts upto 4 yrs and you need to stay with the same employer for that period. Once here you may wish to pursue a ENS (employer sponsored PR visa - 856).

It's a 4 yr Business Visa so yes it allows you to work in AU.

What about the NZ Citizenship route, if you've been there nearly 5 yrs it would be quicker to get NZ Citizenship and then come over to AU after that and work for any employer (or not work at all).
I have just been granted PR in NZ, but I have not been there yet!

It seems to be a catch 22, you need a job offer to get the 457 temp business visa but you can't get a job without a visa?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
A 457 is usually a sponsored visa, so it is common mainly for skills shortage areas (i.e. Nursing and Mining). In the past IT skills also got 457 visas, but not so common anymore.

I have just been granted PR in NZ, but I have not been there yet!

It seems to be a catch 22, you need a job offer to get the 457 temp business visa but you can't get a job without a visa?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts