Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm looking for advice. I have about 100 meters of boundary with a farmer. He has an electric fence sitting right on the boundary.

We have a garden and a pottager and some fruit trees. He has just used (for the second time), what I presume is Glyphosate (Roundup or one of its derivatives) all along the fence. This pollutes and kills anything on our side of the fence as well as on his. And if you know about Glyphosate, it remains in the soil for years, so replanting is not an option, especially if you are going to eat it.

I get on well with the farmer and we need to live in harmony with our neighbours, but ...

I really find this unacceptable, especially as he did the same five years ago and we spoke to him about it. Can anyone tell me if an electric fence on the boundary of a residential property is acceptable or what our options might be?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not a farmer but I use an electric fence on the boundary with a farmer to keep badgers and hunting dogs out. It is legal.

This farmer is always putting down some product or another, what it is I don’t know but he has no weeds amongst his crops.

I’m told that they are not allowed to spray chemicals, maybe it’s just here close to the coast but that’s farmers for you.

Interesting site here about Glyphosate.

Glyphosate General Fact Sheet

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Instead of gylophosphate try a bottle of whisky? A reasonable friendly discussion with a little lubrication might help? There are all sorts of possible solutions.....and it might not be farmer himself but one of his employees who does the spraying? Can you put up some sort of "waterproof " fence? Can he put up a fence a few metres into his property. Etc Etc...; all sorts of creative solutions.

You are probably not going to win by challenging the USE of the product, but there is room for discussion on HOW and WHERE it is used?

I agree that the last thing you want to do is to sour relations...very difficult to repair afterwards.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
The electric fence is not a problem though I believe it is supposed to be marked as such. We have little signs on the parts of our electric fence that face out onto the street.

But rather than "presuming" that what he is using is glyphosate, maybe you should use the "bottle of whisky" approach Dej has suggested and simply ask him about it. It's not the only weedkiller product on the market and he may be using something else for all you know. At the moment, it appears that glyphosate is still legal for use in the EU, so if that's what he IS using, there's not much you can do about it other than express your concerns. But often it helps to ask the question before you make the assumption. (And maybe listen to his side of it.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've already had this kind of encounter.
I'd propose getting out my "debroussailleuse" and cleaning the 100m stretch myself for no charge to the neighbour, explaining that I don't want any poison near my property if that's all right with him.

No need to get worked up with him and go on a crusade against glyphosate; all farmers know deep inside that it's poison.

If it works out maybe he'll be the one coming over with a bottle of whisky to chat about organic gardening.
Better to try and convert another farmer to see the light than rile him up and make him stick to his positions.

If his electric fence is mesh-type (sheep) be careful not to damage it when cleaning - if ever it comes to that!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello. I'm looking for advice. I have about 100 meters of boundary with a farmer. He has an electric fence sitting right on the boundary.

We have a garden and a pottager and some fruit trees. He has just used (for the second time), what I presume is Glyphosate (Roundup or one of its derivatives) all along the fence. This pollutes and kills anything on our side of the fence as well as on his. And if you know about Glyphosate, it remains in the soil for years, so replanting is not an option, especially if you are going to eat it.

I get on well with the farmer and we need to live in harmony with our neighbours, but ...

I really find this unacceptable, especially as he did the same five years ago and we spoke to him about it. Can anyone tell me if an electric fence on the boundary of a residential property is acceptable or what our options might be?
Would it be feasible for you to use a rotofil under the fence? If the fence is 100 metres, the area you would need to rotofil is less than two ares. If so, you could offer this as an alternative when you talk with your neighbor. I think that you are very wise not to want to turn a friendly relationship into an unfriendly one. In the States agressive neighbors seemed to be the order of the day, but here there seems to be more of a go-along-to-get-along attitude. I spend a fair amount of time hacking at plants on our since of the border so they don't touch our neighbors fence.
I view his fence as much for my benefit as his, since we do not want his horses in our garden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts