Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We received an electoral registration form? Can I put my name on this form?

After reading it, I'm a bit confused. I won't be able to apply for ILR till fall 2014 and we plan to move house hopefully by January/February 2014.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We received an electoral registration form? Can I put my name on this form?

After reading it, I'm a bit confused. I won't be able to apply for ILR till fall 2014 and we plan to move house hopefully by January/February 2014.
Pretty sure as an American, you're not eligible unless you're naturalized. EU nationals and Commonwealth citizens have some voting rights if they're resident in the UK, but you don't fit under either category. That's one of the major reasons I plan on getting naturalized as soon as I'm eligible. Voting is such a significant privilege and responsibility, and I really want to contribute to the process while living here.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Modzy78 I didn't think I could either but was still unsure. I to also plan to get my naturalisation after a hopefully successful ILR.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can request to have your name included as a 'liable party' on council records so that your name appears on the bills, but as aforementioned, you will not be able to register on the role itself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks! I'll just wait. I thought it might be something I needed to do so that's why I wasn't sure. I'll wait a few more years until I apply for my naturalisation.

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Eligibility is printed on the registration form.
British citizen, Irish citizen, Commonwealth citizen or EEA citizen. The last can only vote in local (council) and European elections, not parliamentary (general or by-election).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello,
After moving home, I did receive the voter registration form. And now I have got an application form to vote by post.
The next elections scheduled to take place in my area are the combined Council and European Parliamentary elections on Thursday May 22, 2014. Looking at the previous post, seems like, as a EEA citizen, I should be able to vote.
Can you confirm me that voting is not mandatory in UK? (so I do not get fined if I miss!)
Can I wait to send my application form to vote by post without having a penalty? What is the default way to vote, in the case I do not reply?
Thanks

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
No mandatory voting in UK.
Once you are on electoral register, you can apply to vote by post for every election you are eligible for (so excluding parliamentary election) or for each separate occasion. You normally get voting form about a week in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.