Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, I just recieved my documents with a refusal letter of my EEA2 application. Their reason is that our MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE and the STATUTORY DECLARATION attatched makes them consider our marriage to have taken place by proxy. Because our possports show that none is us attended the marriage ceremony in Ghana which is true. It also says that the Statutory Declaration that accompanied our marriage Certificate does not state that a dowry has been paid since it was a traditional marriage. They also say the Statutory Declaration did not state our current condition or marital status at the time of the marriage and that we are Ghanains and therefore eligible to be married in accordance with the Ghanain Customary Law.As such, the Statutory Declaration is not valid in accordance with Marriage and Divorce(Registration) Law 1985, and therefore the marriage Certificate is not valid without a valid Statutory Declaration.
The funny thing is that it states clearly on the Mariage Certificate that all the costomary rites had been performed but because it does't say the same thing on the attached statutory Declation the case worker stood on this and refused my application. Now, what can I do? JOPPA and JRGE, I need your usual unending help dadly. Where should I go? APPEAL, REAPPLY OR RECONSIDERATION and documents to butress my case. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
I know nothing about Ghanaian marriage law, so I suggest you get professional help either there or in UK with advisor familiar with Ghanaian law to assist you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Joppa for your quick response as always. Now I will wait for Jrge's opinion as well if he has knowledge about this then I will decide what to do. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hmm, I just recieved my documents with a refusal letter of my EEA2 application. Their reason is that our MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE and the STATUTORY DECLARATION attatched makes them consider our marriage to have taken place by proxy. Because our possports show that none is us attended the marriage ceremony in Ghana which is true. It also says that the Statutory Declaration that accompanied our marriage Certificate does not state that a dowry has been paid since it was a traditional marriage. They also say the Statutory Declaration did not state our current condition or marital status at the time of the marriage and that we are Ghanains and therefore eligible to be married in accordance with the Ghanain Customary Law.As such, the Statutory Declaration is not valid in accordance with Marriage and Divorce(Registration) Law 1985, and therefore the marriage Certificate is not valid without a valid Statutory Declaration.
The funny thing is that it states clearly on the Mariage Certificate that all the costomary rites had been performed but because it does't say the same thing on the attached statutory Declation the case worker stood on this and refused my application. Now, what can I do? JOPPA and JRGE, I need your usual unending help dadly. Where should I go? APPEAL, REAPPLY OR RECONSIDERATION and documents to butress my case. Thanks in advance.
If that sentence means that neither one attended the wedding ceremony, OR at least one of y'all wasn't present, then your marriage is considered Proxy.

Proxy marriages do not stand grounds whatsoever to successfully achieve a Residence Card.

Animo
(Cheers)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.