Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the UK and new to this Forum. I've read up on a lot of threads -- an amazing plethora of knowledge. Thanks!

Short bio, I am Thai male in a civil union of 2+ years with a German citizen who is working in London. I've applied for RC via EEA2 form (I am the main applicant) and have submitted our documents:
- both our passports (original)
- civil union (original, registered in Germany)
- his employment contract (original)
- our rental agreement (copy, as it was signed electronically by both parties)

We have asked for the return of both our passports via Home Office's website because we need to travel for work (I have also as of two weeks ago secured employment) and have received both passports back. We may need to travel again so returning our passports to HO may not suit us.

Questions:
  1. Since I am not a EU national, and my German civil partner is not the main EEA applicant, is my application now considered withdrawn now that we have our passports back?
  2. If it is not withdrawn, then in what form would the RC be? (Presumably, not a vignette as my passport is with me). Would it be a plastic credit-card-size? Would it be an A4 piece of paper?
  3. Side question: if RC is not mandatory, how would the family of EEA travel outside UK after the first Entry Clearance expires? (the Entry Clearance remains valid for 6 months, multiple-entries, and designated 'EEA family permit')

Thank you for your help! :smile:
COA received -- 28/10/2013
Passport request -- 11/11/2013
Passport back -- 15/11/2013
RC -- waiting

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the UK and new to this Forum. I've read up on a lot of threads -- an amazing plethora of knowledge. Thanks!

Short bio, I am Thai male in a civil union of 2+ years with a German citizen who is working in London. I've applied for RC via EEA2 form (I am the main applicant) and have submitted our documents:
- both our passports (original)
- civil union (original, registered in Germany)
- his employment contract (original)
- our rental agreement (copy, as it was signed electronically by both parties)

We have asked for the return of both our passports via Home Office's website because we need to travel for work (I have also as of two weeks ago secured employment) and have received both passports back. We may need to travel again so returning our passports to HO may not suit us.

Questions:

[*]Since I am not a EU national, and my German civil partner is not the main EEA applicant, is my application now considered withdrawn now that we have our passports back?
You application is still in the pipeline. There is a backlog and you may wait 6 months or more.

[*]If it is not withdrawn, then in what form would the RC be? (Presumably, not a vignette as my passport is with me). Would it be a plastic credit-card-size? Would it be an A4 piece of paper?
They either ask for your passport for the vignette to be affixed, or issue in the form of a letter.

[*]Side question: if RC is not mandatory, how would the family of EEA travel outside UK after the first Entry Clearance expires? (the Entry Clearance remains valid for 6 months, multiple-entries, and designated 'EEA family permit')
Tricky for a visa national like you. There is a facility of asking for Code 1A stamp at UK border (for limited leave to enter for 6 months), but the trouble with you is no airline or Eurostar will risk letting you travel without documentary evidence of right of entry, like EEA family permit, UK visa or residence card, as they can be fined (up to £10,000) if you are refused entry.
So waiting for residence card or, if time allows, getting fresh EEA family permit abroad before returning to UK are your own realistic options.

·
Registered
29 Posts
EEA2 return of documents - returned, next step?

Hi Joppa!

I have a question relating to similiar situation that I am facing with return of documents from my EEA2 application. (thanks again for your previous assistance with my initial EEA Family permit application in August 2013)

I submitted my EEA2 on 21 Nov, and received the COA on 17 Dec. My husband (the EEA National) and I requested our passports back on 6th Jan (His Irish, my US) and we received them and our marriage certificate and birth certs (i know not required but we sent anyway) back on 9th January with a letter that stated the following:
"Family member of an EEA national, who are not themselves EEA Nationals, wishing to return to the United Kingdom should apply for an EEA family permit at a British diplomatic post abroad before returning to this country. An EEA family permit is issued free of charge and on a priority basis.
It should be noted that any such application would need to be supported by evidence to show that the EEA national is in the United Kingdom, excersizing Treaty rights, and that the relationship is as claimed.
Please do not return your Passport to the Home Office until it has been requested by a caseworker. "

My questions are, which I am hoping you may be able to help with!:
- Does this mean that they are still processing my EEA2 Application?
- We live in London, and my current EEA FP expires on 1st Feb....I need to travel for business in February to Bulgaria, and another trip end of February for business to Italy. My EEA husband will not be travelling with me - so is it advisable to carry our marriage certificate, birth certs, letter from employer, letter from husband with me in the event that I am stopped at immigration since my current EEA family permit will be expired?
- As with the other post here, If they do request the passport back for the vignette, do you know how long it takes for them to return it back to you again once they've put the vignette into the passport?

Apologies in advance for my multiple questions - your knowledge has been invaluable to my husband and I previously and is much appreciated!

All the best.

You application is still in the pipeline. There is a backlog and you may wait 6 months or more.

They either ask for your passport for the vignette to be affixed, or issue in the form of a letter.

Tricky for a visa national like you. There is a facility of asking for Code 1A stamp at UK border (for limited leave to enter for 6 months), but the trouble with you is no airline or Eurostar will risk letting you travel without documentary evidence of right of entry, like EEA family permit, UK visa or residence card, as they can be fined (up to £10,000) if you are refused entry.
So waiting for residence card or, if time allows, getting fresh EEA family permit abroad before returning to UK are your own realistic options.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, you are still in the system/queue.
You want to request Code 1A stamp. It's a bit more difficult if your EEA partner isn't travelling with you but not impossible. Make sure he is available on phone if immigration officer wants to speak to him. Carry authenticated Irish passport copy.
If they ask for your passport back (not always, in which case they will issue residence card in the form of a letter), it means they have approved your application so you should get it back pretty soon. Maybe a week or two.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks as always for your swift reply Joppa!

I do have a certified copy of his passport, and will plan to bring that along with me! (We had certified copies made before we submitted the COA, as Jrge and you advised me a while back :) ).

So noted about asking for the Code 1A stamp. It's unfortunate I have to travel for business so soon after my EEA FP expires, but I wasn't able to submit sooner than end of Nov as I was travelling for work all of October & November and needed my passpor then! Luckily my employer is pretty understanding about the process this is.... Hopefully I do not anger the ECO when I come to the border and can explain to them...im a bit OCD so I have all our docs from the 1st time we applied fo EEA FP, only thing i dont have is husbands most recent National Ins contribs a they are with the EEA2 app, so I'll bring the one before that! (or even better so, hopefully I will hear back before my trip on 14th Feb to Bulgaria! though I know that could be a long shot).

Do you know if there is a number to call or an email to write to respectfully ask if there is any update on the application status? (I know they dont like this...and of course I'm trying to be patient :eek: but just thought it wouldnt hurt to call/write!)

The only number Ive found is: 0870 606 7766

Thanks very much again Joppa for all of your assistance - honestly would be lost without this forum. I'll continue to help others as well by posting about my experiences to pay it forward (while not confusing people!)

Cheers
Kelley

Yes, you are still in the system/queue.
You want to request Code 1A stamp. It's a bit more difficult if your EEA partner isn't travelling with you but not impossible. Make sure he is available on phone if immigration officer wants to speak to him. Carry authenticated Irish passport copy.
If they ask for your passport back (not always, in which case they will issue residence card in the form of a letter), it means they have approved your application so you should get it back pretty soon. Maybe a week or two.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi K...,:cool:
thanks as always for your swift reply Joppa!

I do have a certified copy of his passport, and will plan to bring that along with me! (We had certified copies made before we submitted the COA, as Jrge and you advised me a while back :) ).

So noted about asking for the Code 1A stamp. It's unfortunate I have to travel for business so soon after my EEA FP expires, but I wasn't able to submit sooner than end of Nov as I was travelling for work all of October & November and needed my passpor then! Luckily my employer is pretty understanding about the process this is.... Hopefully I do not anger the ECO when I come to the border and can explain to them...im a bit OCD so I have all our docs from the 1st time we applied fo EEA FP, only thing i dont have is husbands most recent National Ins contribs a they are with the EEA2 app, so I'll bring the one before that! (or even better so, hopefully I will hear back before my trip on 14th Feb to Bulgaria! though I know that could be a long shot).

Do you know if there is a number to call or an email to write to respectfully ask if there is any update on the application status? (I know they dont like this...and of course I'm trying to be patient :eek: but just thought it wouldnt hurt to call/write!)

The only number Ive found is: 0870 606 7766

Thanks very much again Joppa for all of your assistance - honestly would be lost without this forum. I'll continue to help others as well by posting about my experiences to pay it forward (while not confusing people!)

Cheers
Kelley
I trust everything is well. Please, hold back the temptation to call to find the status of your application, and your OCD will play an important role should you request a CODE 1A stamp.

If you are being sponsored by a "worker" then your application should be almost dealt with. However, if you're sponsored by a self-employed it might take a few extra weeks. It's just the nature of corresponding checks that delays some applications.

Hope your holidays in UK were great! :D

Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: KQuigley

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Animo!!!!! Happy New Year :)
So noted, will resist the temptation and keep all of my documents with me when I travel...

Yep, hubby is self-employed so it'll take extra time...in the meantime Ill try to stay patient - something you reminded me of last time! Will update in the timelines post once I get everything back and what the result is so that others know :)

We spent holidays in Ireland with in laws and had a fantastic time...my third christmas there with them, and it gets better each time - though much quieter this year as almost all of our friends have moved abroad to find work :(! They were home for a bit of it though so it was great catching up. We are now looking forward to hopefully getting back to US to see my family and our friends there hopefully later this spring. Hope all is well with you and that you and the family enjoyed your holidays as well! You're in canada now arent you? :)

Speak soon!
:) K

Hi K...,:cool:

I trust everything is well. Please, hold back the temptation to call to find the status of your application, and your OCD will play an important role should you request a CODE 1A stamp.

If you are being sponsored by a "worker" then your application should be almost dealt with. However, if you're sponsored by a self-employed it might take a few extra weeks. It's just the nature of corresponding checks that delays some applications.

Hope your holidays in UK were great! :D

Animo
(Cheers)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.